Author Topic: Vestibular syndrome  (Read 3817 times)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Vestibular syndrome
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »
Hi Bens mum,  Marti, my springer had this three times. It looks worse than it is, and lasted about a week the first time.   A yearlater she had it again , leaving a tilt, but followed by the other side so she evened up.     She also had a heart murmur and the strain of moving around feeling dizzy  in old age wore her out.
Things that help enormously......a raised bowl for feeding and drinking, or putting it on a step. I took her outside with a scarf or towel wrapped underneath her tummy  to help lift and keep her steady.
Love to Ben x
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 12:33:46 AM »
Thinking of Ben and hoping with all my heart that he soon recovers from this.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »
Thank you for all the good wishes for Ben  :luv:
He is a sorry state at the moment, it is reassuring to hear from people who have had good outcomes, becaus I have been so worried. He still can't stand or sit unaided but if we hold him he can weight bear on his legs today for a few mins which is better than yesterday. He has a very pronounced head tilt and is struggling to drink so we are using a syringe to make sure he gets some water.
He still has a good cocker appetite  ;) but has to be hand fed as he can't coordinate and find his bowl with his head on an angle.

Thank you again it really helps knowing others have been through this x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 09:29:11 PM »
Thank you for all the good wishes for Ben  :luv:
He is a sorry state at the moment, it is reassuring to hear from people who have had good outcomes, becaus I have been so worried. He still can't stand or sit unaided but if we hold him he can weight bear on his legs today for a few mins which is better than yesterday. He has a very pronounced head tilt and is struggling to drink so we are using a syringe to make sure he gets some water.
He still has a good cocker appetite  ;) but has to be hand fed as he can't coordinate and find his bowl with his head on an angle.

Thank you again it really helps knowing others have been through this x

Maria's Ruby had problems finding her food bowl because of her head tilt, but raising the bowl helped. We tried her with William's raised bowl and she coped well, so Maria bought one for Ruby's food and another for her water.

I've also just remembered, that during those first days when Ruby was at her worst and couldn't get up unaided, she didn't want to sleep in either of her beds, but liked being on a doubled up duvet in the middle of Maria's living room. It seemed to be the place where she felt most secure and was quite handy really, because Maria was sleeping downstairs with her and Ruby could see her on the sofa.

I know how distressing it is to see them like that, but his progress to weight bearing when up sounds just like Ruby at much the same stage, so to me that sounds encouraging :D

Offline cockersarespecialpeople

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »
Sending all good wishes to you both and hope that Ben makes a speedy recovery.   :bigarmhug:

It's heartbreaking to watch a beloved pup suffering so. x
Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 09:07:36 PM »
Well my gorgeous boy is a lot brighter today thank goodness. Still got the head tilt but can get up on his feet unaided now and walk a few steps.  Following all your good advice using sling under his stomach he is quite mobile and a bit faster than we would like, gets a bit overconfident then falls over unless we are holding him tight.

He is very clever though as by this evening he had figured out if he gets up to standing and leans his body against a wall or the kitchen units he can walk along without falling  :D.  at first i thought it was a fluke, but then noticed him doing it again and again.   

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 10:08:48 PM »
So glad to hear the improvement, keep on trucking  :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 07:02:02 AM »
That's good news, so happy Ben's improving. Its amazing how innovative they are, it certainly sounds like he's a little fighter, - you can't keep a good dog down!! 😍
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
Bless him. Hope the coming days bring further improvement.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 10:26:39 PM »
That's great news. I'm sure that being able to get up unaided means that his world is spinning a lot less than it was, so that's real progress. Well done Ben :luv: