Author Topic: Only one testicle :(  (Read 2821 times)

Offline KerryF

Only one testicle :(
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:31:36 PM »
Hi everyone,
Parker is 6 months today and still only has only one descended testicle.  The vet is going to check again in 4 weeks but I'm having a little panic after she told me they may have to open his tummy up to look for it!  And it could cost £800!
Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks
Kerry xx

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: Only one testicle :(
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »
Hi,

Yes, my last clumber spaniel had only one descended testicle. It was around  12years ago now,  it cost then about £300, I don't remember them opening up his stomach but I do remember they said they really struggled to find it as it was very deep. I was advised by my vet at the time that it was an increased cancer risk if it wasn't taken out.

Fingers crossed it will sort itself out.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
Milo was 11 months old before his dropped, some lads are later than others.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:24:06 PM »
Hi! This does seem to be quite common in cockers as far as I can gather. Humphrey only has one descended testicle. My information is, that they can possibly cause problems at some time as the may turn cancerous but my vet said that the risk is very low but increases slightly when  they reach 5 or 6 years old. They can either lie directly above where they should  be,in the groin area  in which case removal is a relatively simple procedure apparantly and can be done by the keyhole method and the dog doesn't necessarily have to be castrated. In Humphrey's case, it seems it is in the stomach cavity, so removal would be a bigger op.
We have opted for yearly monitoring with a scan and if there are no changes in size etc, we won't do anything. The scan was quite simple, I paid less than 40€ here in Germany, although in UK its probably more but  you can " shop around"
This is only the information which I've been given by my vet, (but we've been with him for 25 years and I do trust his judgement in most things,) however I'd suggest you go for a second opinion before you fork out 800 pounds for what maybe an unnecessary op.  I panicked at first but having read up on it and asked advice on here, I've calmed down now as I don't think its actually such a big deal. I don't want to breed with him, although I won't have him castrated unless there's a medical reason. Best of luck - I'd be interested to know what you decide!

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
I think it should be covered by his insurance, if it is deemed necessary to operate.  Let's hope it makes an appearance and surgery is not required.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:31:32 PM »
I think it should be covered by his insurance, if it is deemed necessary to operate.  Let's hope it makes an appearance and surgery is not required.

Its not included in our insurance (small print! ;) )  but depends on the policy I'd imagine,

Offline KerryF

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:46:10 PM »
Thanks everyone,
I always feel reassured when I come on here for help.  It's not covered by our insurance as it is regarded as "preventative measures" which they don't cover. 
I am not planning on getting anything done immediately and am adopting a wait and see stance, as opposed to head in the sand lol, I will give him another couple of months to see if it makes an appearance then I think they will scan and see whereabouts it is.  I will definitely get a second opinion as the cost does seem very high.  He is happy and healthy and weighing in at a whopping 12.5kg 😄

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:56:28 PM »
My previous cocker had two undescended testicles and they were subsequently both found inside so he had to have 2 incisions.  Price was around £200 I think (he was around 11.5kg).  Operation went smoothly though with no problems, hardest thing was to keep him still afterwards....
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 07:05:46 PM »
I think £800  is a bit steep ( more like a " top of my head guess")  . Shop around. Gemma is registered at 2 vets. nearest one for jabs etc, the other i prefer for bigger jobs
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline tenaille

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »
my previous cocker also had 2 undescended testicles, on vet advice left it until he was a couple of years old. Had the operation done in France, cost around 300 Euros with follow up visits. Not covered on insurance.  £800 is excessive

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »
My boy had an undescended testicle - it was keyholed out at 20 months with no issues, and the healthy testicle was left as it is.  My vet did say that complete castration in this situation is very outdated and not compulsory.

It is covered on Petplan insurance as in our case it was a medical case, not straight castration,  but I'm not sure if it is on any other providers.

helen & jarvis x

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »
Don't be in a hurry to go for any surgery. Alfie had an undescended testicle which the nurse or vet looked for regularly and just when we thought he was going to need an op the vet found it at his 12 month check up. Had it not descended we were going to have waited until he was 14 months old when we were only going to agree to having the undescended one removed.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 10:39:20 AM »
Ollie is also among the many, my vet is of the few who don't go in guns blazing, it is very low and easy to locate.
He felt there was no need for op.

Now when he was 7 months we got him from a rescue, only one I have every heard of who let dogs re home with out castration >:(  when I went to vet it was same as you, I was horrified, I explained that as only had him few weeks it was the last thing I wanted and would wait a while - next time I went a different vet said no rush and the 5-6 year top limit advice.

When we moved to new vet, who is a small 2 person vets team, he said it was almost in right place and to leave if we wanted.
I think if it was not easy to find I would have had it removed before he got too old.

£800 does seem steep, I have been told that if they need an op should be done by 5 -6 years age.

I think the fact she the vet is reviewing in 4 weeks is putting an increased worry on to you. Please to not worry - and rush - as others have said he is still very young. I certainly would not have such a young dog operated on unless needed, is this vet only one in practice or are there others, I would go to another vet in practice and say you have been very concerned and worried at what seems to be urgency. It is uncalled for.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
Agree with not rushing in, a lot of vets (including my previous one  >:() wanted to push for castration early but I insisted we wait till Archie was at least 12 months old (which I did).  I really just wanted him to be more mature before having them removed.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 08:18:02 AM »
This will sound really weird!

I noticed Ollie my 9yr old boy only had one testicle after a vets appointment at 4mths old. The vet assured me that it would naturally drop on its own and could take a while. A few months on and nothing so I took him back and saw a different vet that had just moved over from Australia, I'm not sure if they practice differently over there but the advice I was given shocked and made me laugh.

He told me that if his testicle  didn't drop by the age on 1yr old he would have to have an operation to find it and remove it. He told me the only thing I could do to help aid the testicle dropping was massage the area where it should be in a slight downward motion as if your trying to pull it down into the sack.  This made me laugh at the time and thought he'd gotta be kidding) so I didn't do as he recommended.

months later it still hadn't dropped and I was getting more anxious because the 12mth deadline was around the corner, so I thought you know what it can't harm him I'll give it a try! [emoji9]

A month before his first birthday I was in the house with my grandmother and she heard me shout out with joy "NAN NAN COME HERE" She came to see me and said "what's up" I said "Nan he's got two balls" we were both over the moon!

Something I thought I'd never say in public and my other half always teases me about it! But it worked and my boys been fine ever since.

Not sure if this is usual veterinary practice but it did work. I thanked the Australian vet (Paul) as I really didn't want my little boy having his tummy cut open [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"