Author Topic: Only one testicle :(  (Read 2851 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Only one testicle :(
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »

This will sound really weird!

I noticed Ollie my 9yr old boy only had one testicle after a vets appointment at 4mths old. The vet assured me that it would naturally drop on its own and could take a while. A few months on and nothing so I took him back and saw a different vet that had just moved over from Australia, I'm not sure if they practice differently over there but the advice I was given shocked and made me laugh.

He told me that if his testicle  didn't drop by the age on 1yr old he would have to have an operation to find it and remove it. He told me the only thing I could do to help aid the testicle dropping was massage the area where it should be in a slight downward motion as if your trying to pull it down into the sack.  This made me laugh at the time and thought he'd gotta be kidding) so I didn't do as he recommended.

months later it still hadn't dropped and I was getting more anxious because the 12mth deadline was around the corner, so I thought you know what it can't harm him I'll give it a try! [emoji9]

A month before his first birthday I was in the house with my grandmother and she heard me shout out with joy "NAN NAN COME HERE" She came to see me and said "what's up" I said "Nan he's got two balls" we were both over the moon!

Something I thought I'd never say in public and my other half always teases me about it! But it worked and my boys been fine ever since.

Not sure if this is usual veterinary practice but it did work. I thanked the Australian vet (Paul) as I really didn't want my little boy having his tummy cut open [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

😆 My breeder told me to do that with Humphrey aswell, but it did seem, as you say, a little "weird" ;), so I didn't do it either. As it turned out, it wouldn't have helped in his case anyway but I think it is accepted practice and does seem to work in some cases. I've also read about Homeopathic Globuli that are reputed to help but I think they have to be given quite early on and there again, would probably only work in some cases.
Glad you sorted Ollie out though, I can truly imagine how relieved you must have felt!!👍

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 09:33:05 AM »
Milo was 11 months before his second one came down.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
Neither of Ozzy's testicles descended, and our vet recommended he had them both removed, but he said that as they were probably working as normal then it would be ok to wait, as we'd said we wanted him to mature hormonally before he was castrated.  He had the op at about 16 months old, (3 and a half years ago) and one of them was difficult to locate, apparently it was high up in his abdomen.  I'm fairly sure that the cost was nowhere near the £800 you have been quoted - more like £200 ish.  If I were you I'd get a second and even a third opinion - I think your vets are trying to fleece you!  And while you are at it, change vets!