Author Topic: Puppy help  (Read 3265 times)

Offline bmthmark

Puppy help
« on: January 27, 2017, 06:48:26 PM »
Hi

Hello everyone

Hope you can help me with a few questions I have.

My background:

I have a lovely 15 week old cocker spaniel boy. He really is a good boy and I just want to make sure I am given him the best start he can possibly get (first dog for me).

He goes to puppy classes and he is progressing very well. So far we have mastered sit, leave, come, wait, down but we are having problems with heel (question to follow).

I have let him off the lead which went well but I was very nervous.

I have signed him up for gundog class, but this is only a trial lesson to see if we think it’s for him.

I will be honest I did tonnes of research regarding cockers but never realised how hard it was going to be having one. I really didn't anticipate the lack of sleep and general worries of having a puppy. Worries are maninly due to reading conflictling advice on the internet about how to care for him, I think I may of researched too much and sometimes you have to learn yourself. But I must say over the last couple of weeks things have improved loads and we seem to be in a good routine.

When I first got him I decided to crate him at night as I didn't want him to disturb the kids whilst they slept. Blimey the howling and crying was loud. I soon figured out (after a few sleepless nights) that I gave him a too big crate. I thought he would like the space and be able to walk around so I got the biggest going. Nope he hated it! So I went out and got the smallest one going, covered it with a blanket and now he absolutely loves it. Over the first few weeks he cried when he needed the toilet, which to be fair is good of him as at least he doesn't want to do it in the crate. So I was up several times during the night. But last night he slept from 10pm until 6.30am - it’s a record for us YIPPEE :)

He has mad moments of energy where he literally runs and jumps everywhere. I have puppy proofed the house (it’s like a fortress) so I am enjoying the moments as I know he cannot cause himself any injuries or break anything.

- He loves walks but I've read online only walk 5 minutes per month of age. Is this true as I would like to take him for longer walks but don't want to cause him any injuries. How do you know how long to walk for?

- The Mum was a show cocker and dad was a working cocker, does that mean my puppy would be half of each?

- There has been times I needed to leave him at home. I have a large puppy pen for him. It has all his toys, bed and water in it. But he doesn't seem to like it. I have even put a small crate in it to make him feel more comfortable. Any advice on getting him to like it more?

- He is very clever and is learning loads. But he doesn't seem to get heel/close. He wants to be at the front and pulls like a train. Any idea how I can overcome this?

- Is it normal for him to follows me everywhere, I mean everywhere. He could be in bed snoring away and I get up to get a drink. Turn round and he is there lol. He is literally in my shadow all the time. I really don't mind as I know he probably just likes my company (at least someone does lol) and feels safe. But is this normal?

- What age do they calm down a bit? - maybe never?? - I am enjoying it but there will come a time I hope he might be a little bit chilled out :)

Anyway enough of my ramblings. I don't have major issues just after some advice really.

Thank you in advance for any info you give :D

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Puppy help
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »
Hi there.
Firstly, big deep breath and breathe.  You have a normal puppy containing bits of both parents, what % of who no one will ever know.
He is your first dog. The real thing is a million miles away from what notion we have in our heads about puppies and ownership.  ph34r
We have all suffered sleepless nights, the howling, the nipping,the pulling ( Gemma was a nightmare).
Sounds like you are doing okay just in need of encouragement that you are do fine.
Gemma was a nightmare at dog classes so we gave up. We used to ask questions ( just like you) and would put all the info together and then pick out what suited us best and adapt it to suit. Never be afraid to ask, spaniel owners like nothing better that to talk about them
We have a lot of  new puppy owners that have recently joined and they will be along shorty to tell you that you are not alone.
Meantime send us a photo of the little  :angel: We will love to see him

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 07:34:40 PM »
Thank you.
How do I add a photo to the message?

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 07:52:32 PM »
He sounds 100% normal to me too!  We've all been there, with that little furry bundle that suddenly seems to have grown horns as soon as night falls!  They do settle down ever so quickly though, so relax.
Cockers are known as Velcro dogs for good reason, they want to be with you, whatever you are doing. 
Sounds like your training is going really well.  The trial of gundog training is a great idea too.  They are intelligent and instinctive animals, and need loads of mental stimulation.
The rule of thumb re exercise is 5 minutes per month of age - 4 months = 20 mins walking, but you can do this more than once a day.  Walking them too much as pups can cause joint problems later though, so be cautious until he is around a year old.
Also be mindful that they need lots of rest as pups, I made the mistake of keeping mine too busy at first, and paid the price with big difficulties at night - like an over tired toddler, they don't half kick off if they don't get their naps in the daytime!
But really, it sounds like you are doing great  ;)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »
Thank you.
Upload your photo to an external photo host, such as Flickr or Photobucket, click 'share' and post the BB code on the forum to link to your photo.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »
Thank you.

I think I probably am keeping him too busy. Maybe keeping him entertained too much.
He is such a great puppy, he is always so excited to see me. Especially in the morning he waggles his little tail so much in excitement.
I'm amazed how clever these little dogs are.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 08:00:32 PM »
Thank you.
Upload your photo to an external photo host, such as Flickr or Photobucket, click 'share' and post the BB code on the forum to link to your photo.

OK will do. I'm on my mobile at to moment so it may be difficult but I will have a go

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 08:14:22 PM »
Yes, those photos work, hurray another blackie! Welcome to the forum. Everyone has said it already - all perfectly normal.

Cockers are notorious for pulling on the lead and not walking to heel. The earlier you start and the more consistent you are, the better, but it does take time. Don't give up! I found it was more realistic for me to get Henry just to walk on a loose leash rather than getting him to walk exactly in a heel position. The latter is probably more important for showing or working, only you know what exactly you need. There's a link to those videos in this thread here:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=117627.msg1692288#msg1692288

I didn't have problems with leaving Henry in his crate when I went out, but someone else might have some advice. You said he likes his cosy crate now. Have you tried popping him in there instead of the pen? While it might seem like common sense to give them plenty of space to amuse themselves, maybe he'd be happier just cosying up and going to sleep when you are away from him?
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »
Yes, those photos work, hurray another blackie! Welcome to the forum. Everyone has said it already - all perfectly normal.

Cockers are notorious for pulling on the lead and not walking to heel. The earlier you start and the more consistent you are, the better, but it does take time. Don't give up! I found it was more realistic for me to get Henry just to walk on a loose leash rather than getting him to walk exactly in a heel position. The latter is probably more important for showing or working, only you know what exactly you need. There's a link to those videos in this thread here:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=117627.msg1692288#msg1692288

I didn't have problems with leaving Henry in his crate when I went out, but someone else might have some advice. You said he likes his cosy crate now. Have you tried popping him in there instead of the pen? While it might seem like common sense to give them plenty of space to amuse themselves, maybe he'd be happier just cosying up and going to sleep when you are away from him?

Thank you and yes anot her black Cocker ☺ mines called Jett.

I will keep going with the heel practice, I keep saying he is only young so just needs time.

You might be right regarding the crate. I will give it a go.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
Welcome to the mad house!

My only bit of advice? I wished I had done gundog type training.  It is however quite a commitment. I have a show cocker but you don't know which part yours has inherited

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 08:38:56 PM »
Welcome to the mad house!

My only bit of advice? I wished I had done gundog type training.  It is however quite a commitment. I have a show cocker but you don't know which part yours has inherited

Thank you
We are going to give the gundog training a go and see if he likes it.
So far he seems to want to learn all the time and he seems to want to always please me. So you never know he may enjoy it.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
He is Gorgeous.  :luv:  just need his name so we can be properly introduced .

Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 08:57:35 PM »
First as the others have said perfectly normal behaviour for a pup, if your pup has taken after the WCS he will be possibly a bit more full on than a show pup. Walking on the lead keep to the 5 minute rule if the pup is off lead on grass another 20 minutes or so would be fine as long as the pup isn't chasing balls or trying to keep up with you.

Don't over excite him they really don't know when to stop, as for the madness and the following you, yep its a cocker you will get used to it and love him for it but he will settle down a lot as he approaches 1year.

Good positive Gundog training is good for all cockers show and worker it does not mean that you will have to start attending shoots or handling dead birds. Hunting is in his genes so the better you learn how nurture and control his instincts the better you will be able to enjoy your walks as he gets older, nothing worse than a dog on the end of a lead because the owners are scared to let them off because the dog would disappear  off hunting. You have one of the best breeds of dog there is he will repay you for his norty puppy stage a 1000 times over.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 09:05:25 PM »
He is Gorgeous.  :luv:  just need his name so we can be properly introduced .

Thank you. Sorry his name is Jett