Author Topic: Poorly old girl  (Read 8838 times)

Offline mymils

Poorly old girl
« on: February 01, 2017, 08:00:49 PM »
Hello our lovely cocker spaniel is nearly 13 and is very poorly. She ihas a little bit of appetite but either is sick after or has diarrhoea. She shivers sometimes so I think she is in some discomfort. Going to vets again tomorrow but wondered if anyone has any suggestions for pain relief? I've just been feeding her on chicken and rice and also giving her replacement fluids to help with dehydration. Last time she had blood tests they showed kidney and liver functions not good. She is losing weight. I know this sounds like the inevitable but just want to make sure I'm doing all that's possible. PS. She had a little walk tonight :) Thank you for any suggestions.

Offline Mandymlc

Re: Poorly old girl
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 08:46:14 PM »
Afraid I don't have any suggestions for you but there are lots of people on here who have tonnes of experience and will be able to help. Sending lots of hugs and kisses for you and her, and keeping all our fingers and toes crossed for the vet visit tomorrow
Love Mandy and Effie xxx
🐶

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:52:50 PM »
Same here, - I do feel for you, its painful to see them start to age. I know there are others on here with more experience, so hopefully someone will be able to help you. All the best for your girl, I do hope the vet can help her. Do keep us posted!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:02:21 PM »
Am sending my support and thinking of you and your girl.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 10:39:19 PM »
Sorry to hear this mymils.  Our old girl Betty was in sthe same situation as yours.

First thing Sarka said when I read your description to her was to feed her chicken soup (zero salt in it of course)

We have some recipes that worked well.  Well look them out and post to you in the morning.
Our Vet prescribed a special Purina VD canine Renal Failure granules , but Betty would not eat them.

We managed to keep her going for 18 months using chicken soup for emergencies followed by the afore mentioned recipes. When in remission we found that a German Rinti brand low potash special renal recovery tinned food worked well.

Right now, its most important to find some thing that shell find appetizing and get her energy levels up.  Just make sure its not too high protein or high phosphorous of course.

Get her through this and then feed her up when she's feeling better. A little bit of extra weight wil help her deal with future challenges. 

Once the anemia was controlled we also gave Betty Ipakitine plv which pulls phosphorus from the system.  Our vet told us that looking at her blood stats that this stuff appeared to have been doing a good job and certainly prolonged her life.

Hoping your girl gets stronger quickly. 

Our thoughts are with you both.
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline mymils

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 11:36:54 PM »
Thank you all very much for your support.
I would be grateful for your recipes

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »
Mymils,  We're on it. Sarka has to dig them out and is searching as I write.

I'll update shortly

A further comment:  Once you have her stabilised and have found a diet that she can handle,  stick with it and don't be tempted to change it.  We went through a few iterations of trying to perfect /make easier her diet and learned the hard way that good is good enough.

Later

J
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
hope all goes ok at the vet, I really feel for you my old boy is struggling at the moment and its so hard knowing what to do for the best isn't it
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
If only dogs could stay young forever.  Really hope it is reassuring news at the vets.

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »
All fingers and paws crossed that Vets visit has gone well?  What's the news?

Below are the recipes we promised.

But before them hopefully some cause for optimism:

Here’s a pic of my ladies taken a year ago.  By this time Betty the Cocker had been living on the diets below for almost two years.  Outdoor temperature when pic taken was -16C.    Betty lived another 8 months,  and in the end her crossing of the bridge aged 16 1/2 was not from failed kidneys.

So onto the serious stuff……

Cocker food recipes for poor kidney function dogs

Emergency Low protein diet:

Chicken soup  plus piskot* ( a kind of child's rusk that is sold over here) used to stabilize dog and give energy

Once stabilized:

1.   Egg diet for 10kg dog
160g white of hard boiled egg
250g boiled potato
10g UNSALTED butter
70g carrot  (blanched)
1 Tablet vitamin B complex
5g calcium carbonate

Break down into rough paste, as preferred by dog,  but fine enough that dog cannot sort components and is forced to eat the whole balanced diet.

2.   Meat diet
100g beef or chicken
30g white of hard boiled egg
10g UNSALTED butter
70g carrot ( blanched)
 1 Tablet vitamin B complex
5g calcium carbonate

Hope this helps.  Poor Sarka is feeling very sympathetically sad for you both at this time.

Good luck old girl
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline mymils

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »
Dear Sumava Cockers thank you so much for your recipes I am going to try them for my lovely old girl and for the beautiful picture of your Betty.
Going to the vets later this afternoon and will definitely update you all asap.
She has been more peaceful overnight and this morning.
Thank you everyone you are all very kind!

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
Some more background information,  from the source of the recipes we used:

(Translated in haset from Czech so please excuse any strange expressions.  Hopefully it will be of food for thought though)....

Dogs with chronic renal failure

Kidney failure is a condition of renal insufficiency – meaning only 5% kidney function (or less). At this stage, unfortunately, we are unable to determine the cause of irreversible tissue damage kidney damage. We cannot cure the disease, unfortunately, nor are there available hemodialysis or kidney transplantations  as in human medicine. We tried to thus improving the function of the remaining kidney tissue and the slowing of disease progression.

How do kidneys affect  the body?

The kidneys filter blood insufficiently so poorly excreted toxic products of metabolism, they organism is flooded and it induces clinical signs such as loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea (uremic gastroenteritis). Kidneys of course not only excretory function - also forms the hormone erythropoietin, which is responsible for the formation of new red blood cells. Due to its scarcity anemia (anemia)ensues. Clinical symptoms of anemia is also the apathy, loss of appetite, intolerance to cold.

Measures for animals with chronic renal failure:

In the first place there are dietary measures. Special diet for animals with renal failure is based on a reduced protein content (proteins contain phosphorus, which contributes to the further deterioration of the kidneys); Protein in the diet, however, should be of the highest quality. These diets are manufactured by leading companies in the form of granules, cans or pouches. The advantage of these diets is accurately dispensed ratio of nutrients, minerals and vitamins according to the weight of the animal. Sometimes, however, the animal refuses to eat these, so he must be in accordance with special recipes to prepare homemade food. Feeding is better served in small doses and better heated to a suitable temperature (to be avoided hot!).

Commercial diets for patients with renal failure:
Waltham Royal Canine Renal
Hill's K / D
specific Renil
Purina NF

These diets are only available from vets.
- All these diets are available as granules, as well as in cans.

For patients with chronic renal failure a diet with less protein and low phosphorus content. The need for proteins in dogs with CRF higher than in healthy individuals (about 2.0 g / kg bodyweight / day, in healthy subjects, it is 1.25 g / kg bw / day). You need to start a diet at 2.0 to 2.5 g / kg bw, if symptoms of malnutrition are evident, increase the dose up to 3.5 g / kg bw
Foods suitable to low protein diets are shown in Table 1.

Said protein restriction concerns egg proteins. All other proteins are biologically less valuable !!

If the source of proteins other than eggs, then you need to put an upper limit restriction protejnů, in proportion to the value of biological resources. Most beef or chicken contains 20% protein, so the requirement 2 g protein / kg bw It is equivalent to 10 g meat / kg bw / day, with a correction due ki biological value (for meat is a biological value of 22% lower than in eggs), 12.2 grams of meat / kg bw / day. Whole egg contains about 13% protein, so the need asi1,5x is higher than that of meat, i.e. 15 g / kg bodyweight / day. If necessary to reduce hyperphosphatemia, it is preferable to eliminate from the diet yolk because it contains 20 times more phosphorus than white; when administered only albumen, its mass needed twice (20 g white / kg / day).

Meat is suitable for feeding every fifth day and inbetween,  more eggs (See Table 2).

Suitable low-protein diet should also contain enough energy. The daily maintenance dose ranges from 65 to 110 kcal / kg, the actual requirements, however, are variable. The owner should therefore monitor your dog and sources of energy should be adjusted according to body weight gain or losses. Basic energy food can be cooked potatoes flavored eg. Adding butter or vegetable fat. But you can also select rice and pasta, at the time of uremic anorexia and cakes and sweets. When the threat of excess energy, it is possible to limit its sources in the diet and increase the proportion of carrot.

Because of hyperphosphatemia (high blood phosphate levels) Ipakitine should be added, which balances the amount of phosphorus absorbed in the intestines.
Furthermore your pet should receive vitamins - particularly B and C, is ideal purchase special multivitamins (containing no phosphorus) for dogs / cats and dosed according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Anemia in these cases can be solved by administering the hormone erythropoietin, initially administered injections 3 times a week, gradually reducing the dose and intervals extended. When administering erythropoietin it is appropriate to subsidize the body with iron. In animals, it is the best form of administering medicine Aktiferrin drops (OTC pharmacy).

A novelty therapy, omega-3 unsaturated fat, unfortunately an acid. But studies have shown that it protects the functional kidney tissue from further damage. These oils may be purchased as a dietary supplement in pharmacies in the form of capsules
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
Good to hear that your girl's more comfortable.  We have ben staggered at just how tough and resilient our Cockers have been.  They seem to be able to bounce back from dire conditions in an amazing way.

Good luck at vet this afternoon.

Sarka is working ( at the Vets) as I write,  but after around 5pm today she'll be home.  If your vet clears you to try these diets and you would like to chat with her about how to prepare them etc.  PM us on COL and we'll share Skype or local UK Telephone number that you can reach us on.

ATB

Jon

Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline mymils

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 06:08:54 PM »
I am home again at last and back with Millie ( our lovely old girl) she's had a good examination at the vets and has had
3 injections I.e anti sickness, vitamin B12 and ranitidine injection. Her temperature is OK . Vet said one kidney not good but the other one isn't too bad so that's very good news. I've got lots of rehydration support to give her via a syringe and will take Millie for another check up in a couple of days..I think she has improved slightly today although her appetite isn't back to normal yet.
I feel much happier tonight and can't thank you all enough for your encouragement, support and good wishes.
Millie is sleeping peacefully now.
I know we are not out of the woods yet but with the help of Sumava cocker's lovely recipes and advice I feel much more positive.
I've sent for some ipakitine today plus vit b and calcium for Millie thank you so much!!!

What a brilliant forum this is .... full of wonderful people and irresistible dogs xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 06:22:04 PM »
GREAT NEWS  we are so relieved.

Congratulations Millie:-)

Hope she continues to improve.

ATB
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B