Author Topic: Really annoyed with groomer  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Maisiesmum

Really annoyed with groomer
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »
Warning *Rant needed for sanity*
We took Maisie for her second cut yesterday. Her first session was just a bath and puppy tidy up, she came back clean and tidy but it struck me that the length of her ears was a bit short but I was wasn't too concerned so off we took her again yesterday.
However when we collected her, apart from ridiculously short ears 'again' she didn't look very different. I asked when she would be able to have a 'proper' cocker cut and was told NEVER because she wasn't a show cocker but a 'mixture of everything' and the only cut she could have was one to keep her tidy  >:(
Despite my disagreeing with her, she was adamant she was correct and that Maisie was basically a mongrel spaniel.  My hubby took over then (think he recognised the stabby and killy look on my face), paid and we left.
It's left me upset and doubting now what my little girl really is.  >:D I know it doesn't make any difference because I adore her but a so called expert has put a seed of doubt in my head that I haven't got the show cocker I've always wanted.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
Re: Really annoyed with groomer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
How bloody rude!  I felt the same when our vet suggested Blue was a bit on the 'Porky' side!  It's the equivalent of sticking your face in a new baby's pram and telling the mum 'oooh, hasn't he got a big nose!'.
I'd just find another groomer, she obviously hasn't a clue.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
Maisie looks just like a proper show cocker to me. She's still a baby, it takes ages for the full coat to come in, but she is beautifully feathered already.

I agree, get a new groomer. Mine always ask my how much I want trimmed off Henry's ears. They once trimmed his 'beard' whiskers and he didn't like it and they've never done it since, even when I forget to remind them.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »
What a ***** cheek!!! She obviously doesn't know much about cockers! PRobably one of these "one style suits all" sorts!
I had a similar experience on Wednesday with Humphrey -I'd suggested cutting the feathers a bit shorter and remarked that it needed  to be practical and Humphrey wasn't going to be shown. She said, "No, of course not, he's a sable!  That was a bit of a waste of money wasn't it?" (Sable's are apparantly not a recognized colour 🙄)
I just said "he doesn't need to be liked by a jury, WE like him and he was worth every penny!!"

Don't be upset about Maisie, there are lots of other groomers out there. The hair on her ears will grow back and she'll be looking like a "proper" cocker again before you know it!!! ;)

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »
Wow, the cheek of it. Ruddy groomer should do whatever you request and not pass comment on your pooch. Who the heck do they think they are.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »
Well she looks like a spaniel to me!
Some of these so called groomers don't know how to groom a spaniel. Look for another groomef!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »
I trimmed all my five Scotties as Imshowed four of them, and I would trim other people's, as I knew how to do it properly. Whether they were ducks or swans, they all looked smashing and ready to show by the time I finished them. Someone brought me their Scottie, who had been to a professional groomer, who had cut off the eyebrows and the beard, and fluffed out their face cheeks so it looked like a westie. The owner said the dog tried to hide itself, as if in shame  :lol2: :lol2: there are groomers who haven't a clue how a show dog should look, looks like you found one of them! And show or now, they should trim the dog how YOU want it.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
She is just beautiful! I would look for another groomer.
It took me ages to find a groomer that didn't just want to clip Reese, a lot of them do as it's quicker and easier for them.
But make sure you say every time what you want as I just assumed after a year my groomer would know what I want....I now have a little baldy Boy!  >:(

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 04:31:42 PM »
Firstly Maisie is adorable and the groomer is a nutter >:(

We took our other cocker to a different groomer who insisted on doing an plus fours trousers look. She had always done my westies but she was hopeless on cockers.  Despite me asking her to remain from spraying him with scent stuff - she continued, the next time I went , I again told her that I found the scent too strong and he would needing bathing if she did this as I could not take him home smelling like that due to my asthma, she stopped.

We decided to try Ollie with someone else and have stuck with her.

My advice would be to ask if you see a cocker owner out and about who they go to.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Maisiesmum

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
Thank you for all the indignance on mine and Maisie's behalf  :005: :005:
I'm definitely going to find a different groomer that understands that show cocker pups can be woolly mammoths or straight and silky and probably everything in between.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 04:56:51 PM »
Well that Groomer will soon be out of business if they keep that up !

Maybe COLers can recommend a proper groomer, where are you ?

Offline Maisiesmum

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 06:02:01 PM »
She's been in business for years and has got a good reputation locally, that's why I used her.  I'm in Shropshire.

Blueberry....that made me laugh because a friend does something similar at work. If someone brings in an ugly baby, she makes a big fuss and says...what a lovely pushchair  :005: :005:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
we took our BT puppy to be groomed and when we pick her up we were told that she was in season. This took us by surprise so we had a peek at the evidence ( as you do). Turned out that the groomer has sniped her frillys with the scissors.  Never went back there  ph34r
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 10:29:42 PM »
Being an expert in grooming doesn't make you automatically an expert in dog breeds. ;) Take no notice and find yourself a speciality groomer if you can or at least one that appreciates how beautiful your girlie is. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline lescef

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
http://www.classiegrooming.com/

Depending how far down you are in Shropshire! Spaniel expert though.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble