Author Topic: on lead  (Read 8413 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: on lead
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »
That does answer my question - in your usual inimitable style, you came up with a tried-and-tested method, which is to teach the desired position without a lead involved. That's where I started. So once the lead went on, Henry already knew what it was I wanted. Half the battle won.

The big thing that stands out from your post - you stopped fighting her and found a way to teach her what you do want, not what you don't. All my 'battles' with Henry have been lost.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2017, 05:24:34 PM »
On the subject of guiding Eze back in position with your hand -  have you tried doing that with a treat? EIther guide her to come towards your right side, (by holding treat in front of her nose) round the back and then sit at your left or she can come towards your left side, guide your hand in an anti clockwise circle so she ends up sitting at your left heel. We started doing that pretty early on and all I need to do with Humphrey now is to point to my left ankle and he knows where he's suppsed to be. I think if she gets into position "under her own steam" rather than being "placed" there, it becomes more automatic. (Apologies if this sounds too obvious and you're doing it already, but it didn't sound as if you were, so thought I'd mention it!,  ;))

Offline ips

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »
That does answer my question - in your usual inimitable style, you came up with a tried-and-tested method, which is to teach the desired position without a lead involved. That's where I started. So once the lead went on, Henry already knew what it was I wanted. Half the battle won.

The big thing that stands out from your post - you stopped fighting her and found a way to teach her what you do want, not what you don't. All my 'battles' with Henry have been lost.

I think your spot on LG. Probably a change in my demeanour, maybe ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ips

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »
On the subject of guiding Eze back in position with your hand -  have you tried doing that with a treat? EIther guide her to come towards your right side, (by holding treat in front of her nose) round the back and then sit at your left or she can come towards your left side, guide your hand in an anti clockwise circle so she ends up sitting at your left heel. We started doing that pretty early on and all I need to do with Humphrey now is to point to my left ankle and he knows where he's suppsed to be. I think if she gets into position "under her own steam" rather than being "placed" there, it becomes more automatic. (Apologies if this sounds too obvious and you're doing it already, but it didn't sound as if you were, so thought I'd mention it!,  ;))

No apology needed BL you are right I haven't done that. I don't tend to use food rewards anymore but if things don't progress as planned I will bare it in mind.
Thank you.

Ps
Strangely if I point to my right she heels to my left 😁  it comes from my early training days when I trained a walk around type show heel thing 😊
I don't bother too much with the walk around now but she still heels left 😁

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2017, 05:57:25 PM »
Right, i'm giving this a go tomorrow.

I do a lot of fishing and what I notice with Millie is that she is like playing a big fish. It always fights the pressure. If you pull left, the fish tries to go right etc etc.

Millie always pulls against the strain. This might just be the answer after several backward steps in the last couple of weeks put me to the point of giving up.

Offline ips

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
Be interested to here how you get on.

Terms & conditions apply 😁
Its working for me but I am not selling it as a guaranteed fix 😉

Offline ips

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2017, 08:02:58 PM »
Here we go this is were we are at as of 6-30 this evening.
Not saying its perfect not saying its fully proofed or reliable yet, its work in progress.
Sorry its only short clip but only got mobile broadband at the moment so have to watch my data allowance.
Ps
That's my wife doing the honours, it ain't me 😁

https://vimeo.com/211538498

Offline ips

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »
Question
Does anyone have an opinion on the following.

Now that we are getting somewhere should I now demand a true heel ?
Is letting her be in front even though lead is loose (ish) a slippery slope to pulling, is she going to take a foot if I give an inch ??
Or should I accept that in front but not pulling may be as good as we can realistically hope for ??

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2017, 01:22:32 PM »
Good question.
Cockers are bred to run/work in front of us so it might be more natural for her to walk slightly ahead. Personally, if it were me, I would proof what you have got (I'd sell my right hand to be in your position at the moment) and nip any future potential pulling on the bud asap.

Offline ips

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »
Yes your probably right, I am thinking just in front may be good enough considering were talking cocker. Just thought it may be a slippery slope if I don't demand a propper heal. Will give it a while and play it by ear.

You been for a walk yet  ??

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2017, 01:50:19 PM »
I think it rather depends on what you want - If we're out for a stroll and Humphrey has to be on the lead, I wouldn't think it necessary, or fair, to expect him to stay glued to my heel - I'm quite happy for him to trot along infront - we call this "walk nicely Humphrey!" ;), as long as he doesn't yank me all over the place. For me, "Heel" is literally just that, and I (try ;) to ) impose that if we're passing other dogs, joggers, traffic etc and I wouldn't expect him to do it for too long. I do use the  heel command (in our case, its Fuß  ;) ) but I try not to use a command at all for loose walking as I think "Fuß" would lose its meaning if I used it all the time and didn't insist on the correct position - hope that makes sense?
I make this sound as if we've got it all in place already  😂, we're a long way from consistency, once his initial excitement about going out has eased, he's pretty good - return journey's rarely a problem but he still gets very easily distracted - its easier to get him to sit and let the distraction pass than walk past the distraction ourselves.
I try not to set my goals too high and while I do try to train good lead discipline  all the time we're out, I'm under no illusions that we'll probably never be perfect - and that's ok. On the upside, a deer jumped out about 20 yards from us this morning, I yelled "stay" and he stopped dead and came back when called, so hey ho - can't have everything. Wouldn't guarantee he'd do the same tomorrow but that's the excitement of living with a cocker, its like Russian Roulette!!!  :005: :005:

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
Yes your probably right, I am thinking just in front may be good enough considering were talking cocker. Just thought it may be a slippery slope if I don't demand a propper heal. Will give it a while and play it by ear.

You been for a walk yet  ??

Not yet, heading out in about an hour. Not taking any sausages which usually means pull pull pull. We will see what happens.

Offline ips

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2017, 02:07:27 PM »
Good luck fingers crossed 👍

Offline ips

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2017, 04:02:19 PM »
I think it rather depends on what you want - If we're out for a stroll and Humphrey has to be on the lead, I wouldn't think it necessary, or fair, to expect him to stay glued to my heel - I'm quite happy for him to trot along infront - we call this "walk nicely Humphrey!" ;), as long as he doesn't yank me all over the place. For me, "Heel" is literally just that, and I (try ;) to ) impose that if we're passing other dogs, joggers, traffic etc and I wouldn't expect him to do it for too long. I do use the  heel command (in our case, its Fuß  ;) ) but I try not to use a command at all for loose walking as I think "Fuß" would lose its meaning if I used it all the time and didn't insist on the correct position - hope that makes sense?
I make this sound as if we've got it all in place already  😂, we're a long way from consistency, once his initial excitement about going out has eased, he's pretty good - return journey's rarely a problem but he still gets very easily distracted - its easier to get him to sit and let the distraction pass than walk past the distraction ourselves.
I try not to set my goals too high and while I do try to train good lead discipline  all the time we're out, I'm under no illusions that we'll probably never be perfect - and that's ok. On the upside, a deer jumped out about 20 yards from us this morning, I yelled "stay" and he stopped dead and came back when called, so hey ho - can't have everything. Wouldn't guarantee he'd do the same tomorrow but that's the excitement of living with a cocker, its like Russian Roulette!!!  :005: :005:

Um, maybe true heel is asking too much but as I said I don't want her to keep pinching an inch here and there and us ending up back were we started. I am committed now to consistent training and getting the loose lead sorted and reliable.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2017, 04:31:19 PM »
Good luck fingers crossed 👍

Well that went well. Sometimes we managed 10 steps before I needed to stop and re-position her  >:D In the end she was pulling sideways to avoid me. And just to add insult to injury she dived under a hedge and came out with a mouthful of poo >:D

I know it is early days so I will keep going.

My other cocker Murphy walks brilliantly on a lead with no training at all but  18 months of trying and Millie is no better, unless I have a pocket full of sausage. And I'm determined that I won't use them any more.