Author Topic: on lead  (Read 8418 times)

Offline ips

Re: on lead
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2017, 04:53:27 PM »
Good luck fingers crossed 👍

Well that went well. Sometimes we managed 10 steps before I needed to stop and re-position her  >:D In the end she was pulling sideways to avoid me. And just to add insult to injury she dived under a hedge and came out with a mouthful of poo >:D

I know it is early days so I will keep going.

My other cocker Murphy walks brilliantly on a lead with no training at all but  18 months of trying and Millie is no better, unless I have a pocket full of sausage. And I'm determined that I won't use them any more.

Um, bit disappointing then 😢

Just goes to show that there all different and respond to different things. I haven't experienced eze going away trying to avoid me 😞
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ips

« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
Apologies for the following language.......

Bloody ell.
Did the whole one mile ish circular route without needing to re position her once 😁
In fact 30% of the time (early on) she was level or behind my leg.

Insert BIG smiley thing....

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »
Result!!!!!......

......(walks off with slumped shoulders and starts crying in the corner)

Offline ips

« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2017, 07:40:58 PM »
Result!!!!!......

......(walks off with slumped shoulders and starts crying in the corner)

I feel bad now 😁

Offline ips

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »
Something occurred to me yesterday evening whilst on my lead training walk.
Does anyone think that the speed that you walk could effect the pulling behaviour ?
One automatically assumes that walking faster would aid not pulling BUT it seems to me that even a slightly brisk pace breaks them out into a sort of canter which COULD theoretically make matters worse. I have noticed a strange cadence to eze's walk at certain speeds. I am thinking that the slower the better to avoid the dog walking at a speed which is unnatural for it and hence a more reaxed demeanour in the dog.

Any thoughts

Ps
I will put it to the test later 👍

Offline ips

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2017, 07:03:55 PM »
Forgot to try the slower walk (been a long day 😞)

In the interest of honesty (which I always am) tonight was a backward step. Went the other way the one that has more excitement and with the wife (she is never as good at anything when the wife is there, I don't know why) anyway I lost count of the number of re positions 😞 she wasn't pulling as such but was at the end of the lead which is not acceptable to me. I am not overly concerned as I know that unwanted behaviour can re emerge from time to time and I also know that loose lead will always need maintenance. I don't think I was in the same mood as usual either.
On the plus side she bumped two pheasant and stopped to flush then she recalled straight away and came to heel.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »
If its any consolation - just spent the day on a hike with OH and our two sons and finished up walking through the town. Hike was ok (ish), through town? Desaster!!  - just when you think you're on top of it, these little wotsits wag a paw at you and snigger "uh uh - not done with you yet!!"  >:D

Offline ips

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
Thanks BL
Yes none compliance is only a breath away 😁

I am determined not to do my usual which is to change methods as soon as it "appears" not to be working. I have proven this method works so deep breath and back to it tomorrow 👍

Ps
Is there anything more frustrating than trying to train loose lead ?
I doubt it 😞

Offline LisaL

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2017, 09:41:48 AM »
random pondering for the day regarding lead work

Why does my boy walk perfectly to heel on and off lead when I have my horse on the other side yet without said horse I need to reposition MANY times :005:

Offline ips

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
Why not let the horse take the dog for a walk, job done 😁

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2017, 02:39:32 PM »
I'm a brisk walker so I thought that I would try a slower walk yesterday and it did help. Still pulled but not the belly touching the floor type pull. I've got to be honest, I've given up on a loose lead walk. The sausages work but I don't want a dog looking at me for the duration. I will, at this moment in time, accept a Millie walking with a semi tight lead as a result.

I'm easily pleased  ;)

Offline ips

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2017, 03:37:43 PM »
Well any improvement is good. Interesting to hear that walking slower did have an effect. I will do same this evening and report back. Will leave the Mrs at home, as I said previously I don't know why but she doesn't walk, train or work as well when the wife is around. She must be a bad influence 😁

Offline ips

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »
If there was an improvement with walking slower it was very slight.
Fri evening and sat morning walks were no better or worse than the last week or so. She definitely isn't pulling but is still getting to end of lead so its between three and six on average repositions per walk.
It is hundred times better than it was BUT I want a propper heel position so more work to do.
I tried a shorter lead this morning as opposed to having all the lead out but that made her pull 😞

Offline LilyPup

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »
Lily's still a puppy, but she wont walk in a straight line - she walks in more of an S shape, or a zig-zag, to be able to sniff as much ground as possible. She's so little, I have a job not to trip over her much of the time!  :005:

Offline ips

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2017, 10:57:14 AM »
Thought I would update. Had various walks in last week or so but have missed a few days. Things continue to improve less and less occasions of re positioning her but she does get to the end of the lead sometimes. If I accept this very loose heel then its fair to say that we can get round a walk without any pulling however I would ultimately like a propper heel, maybe I am asking too much. We had a longish walk on Monday and Lynn opted for the wydwl harness as she was main lead holder on er during that walk. I think she is marginally better on the harness although I prefer the ease of a slip. Having said that the wydwl is a doddle to put on.
Question
Is there a similar product to the wydwl as in similar design, as easy to put on but maybe a top ring as well and maybe more padded. Has to look workman like as well 😁
The one thing I don't like about it is the big ring for front fastening, to me it looks a bit big and must annoy the dog especially with a lead clip on as well which is why I have attached a thin slip lead to it instead so no added weight to bang about on her chest.

This looks similar but has more buckles to adjust so prob not as good as wydwl one, any thoughts

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-HARNESS-Reduce-Pulling-Medium/dp/B0009ZD3QY