Author Topic: on lead  (Read 8429 times)

Offline bmthmark

Re: on lead
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
Thanks Ips - your video's do definitely help and it gives people like me something to aim for

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »
Strange about the habitual ear scratch, I wonder what that means 😖

Is it a similar behaviour to when they shake (cant remember what its called) to come down a level??

yes, I know what you mean, can't think of the word either - that's actually what a couple of trainers I've spoken to have said but even if it might have been true in the beginning, I don't think it can be now, its probably just a learned habit. All very facinating stuff, I think I missed my vocation!!

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2017, 03:48:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eh6tCcmUB0&feature=share

I hope this link works. This is the trainer I train with . My pup is 5 months now. And using this method to train lead walking. No picking the dog up, no jerking, no use of choke chain or any other negative methods.   Like to think Muffin and I are working as a team and he is happy to be by my side.

Offline ips

« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2017, 04:03:04 PM »
Hi
Very good hope it works for you 👍

This is not a criticism you understand but what happens when you have no treats  ?
Also that isn't a cocker 😁

Once again no criticism intended and apparently any of the methods work as long as your consistent.....apparently...  but does that include cockers as my one just did not "get" the stopping ir opposite direction or treats or ball in pocket or lead pops or any of the various anti pull harness things (wydwl was about the best though)

Good vid though and worth trying, as you say much better than any of the negative methods 👍

Ps
Be interesting to hear from col members who have had success with that or similar methods. ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »
You do more steps for less treats but still give praise.  Doesn't matter it is not a cocker spaniel the training is just the same for teaching any dog to walk nicely on a lead.

Offline ips

« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2017, 04:21:46 PM »
So phase em out gradual then ??

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
Yes. Like all training it is patience and consistency. 

The scratching behaviour can be a displacement behaviour.  it can be something is going on they are unhappy with so they scratch to give themselves relief.

Offline ips

« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »
Displacement that's the term BL and I couldn't remember. We will both sleep tonight 😁

Offline ips

« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
A better one from this evening with "the boss"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AY9_luEIDLQ

Offline ips

« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
Yes. Like all training it is patience and consistency. 

The scratching behaviour can be a displacement behaviour.  it can be something is going on they are unhappy with so they scratch to give themselves relief.

The way I understand the "shake" as though they are shaking to dry off is that when two dogs are playing and one has had enough it shakes to tell the other dog "that's it I have had enough" and the shake when human is involved is to tell us that they are "coming down from a level of excitement or anxiety" I had no idea about this until a very experienced gundog trainer and friend told me, since then I have witnessed it pretty much daily with eze. I find dog psychology fascinating.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »
Displacement that's the term BL and I couldn't remember. We will both sleep tonight 😁

👍😴😴😴

Offline ips

« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2017, 12:07:31 PM »
Nobody as yet has confirmed if the lead training with treats has worked long term for them !!!

Genuinely interested in that or any other "proven" method !!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2017, 01:14:31 PM »
Worked for me. That's how I did it, gradually phased them out when I could see the position was becoming instinctive.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
It has worked for me aswell and I still always carry treats with me to reward for a particularly good performance (in the face of a huge and unexpected distraction, for example). Having said that, I'm sure it can be trained just as well without but a lot depends on the particular dog, some dogs don't lay much value on food (so they tell me  :005:), but if used correctly as a tool, as opposed to a prop, then I don't think they're a problem. If "good boy" is associated with something yummy, then eventually "good boy" will be reward enough in its own right  (same as the clicker), but from a dog's point of view, "good boy" on its own is not exactly a motivator. I do think its a personal choice though, there's no wrong or right way and I'm sure there will be lots of people here who train successfully without.

Offline ips

« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2017, 04:34:23 PM »
Treats didn't work for us I am afraid, all dogs are different I suppose  😁