Author Topic: Forthglade peas  (Read 2180 times)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Forthglade peas
« on: March 04, 2017, 11:01:21 PM »
Anyone noticed this?      I have been using this for a month for one of my dogs.  I noticed undigested peas in his poop,   So checked them out in the serving in his next packs. In all three packs the peas are really hard. I wouldn't eat them like that . I wondered if his occasional iffy poos were due to to them, like the awful night I had when my OH didn't boil dried  kidney beans long enough . My other dog spits them out.  If they don't digest them,the nutritional value is nil.
I emailed Forthglade very politely, about whether other batches were the same,  but no reply yet.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Andrea Ellie

Re: Forthglade peas
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »
I feed the grain free turkey one and haven't noticed this yet but will definitely keep an eye out on my next batch I buy.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »
That's the one I've got,  with sweet potato.  I liked the recipe, bar peas!    It's meant to be 2% peas,  though a manufacturer can't be expected to space them out. So that's 8gs per pack, so I picked out peas from the half a pack left, and that was 9gms already.   I may change to the only meat+ supplements version and do my own sweet potato and veg I know are ok.
They are definitely hard,  but maybe because I'm 'up north' , I like mushy peas!!!     And so does my rescue , being  a Barnsley lad!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:54:38 PM »
Interesting- especially if they are causing an occasional upset tum. Archie's continued skin issues led me to have him allergy tested. Peas was one of the things with a positive reaction.  He occasionally had forthglade salmon and potato but it had peas in it. Since removing peas from his diet he's had no more itchiness.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 12:11:56 AM »
They are in a lot of dog foods,  and I presume they don't count as grain in grain free. Maybe they should.   They are cheap protein and very high fibre . Forthglade charge less for the complete meal with veg, than for the meat only. In morrisons it's £1.00  versus  £1.49 roughly. 

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:20 AM »
They are in a lot of dog foods,  and I presume they don't count as grain in grain free. Maybe they should.   They are cheap protein and very high fibre . Forthglade charge less for the complete meal with veg, than for the meat only. In morrisons it's £1.00  versus  £1.49 roughly.

Yes, pea protein seems to be in loads of foods and treats. I've just gone back to plain old salmon and potato or trout and potato to made by Fishmongers Finest. It seems to be working on both the itchy and colitis fronts. I'm so glad I had the allergy tests done because it meant I wasn't just stabbing in the dark with finding a food. Forthglade is quite an expensive option which is why I only gave it maybe once a week as a treat! All the grain free wet foods seem to substitute grain with veggies and that seems to always include peas. Frustrating.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 12:16:18 PM »
Oh indeed the dreaded pea I buy the Forthglade  grain free turkey complete for Toby and also notice the amount of peas in the packs, sometimes I just hull them out and bin them if I think there are too many (or could put them in a pea shooter and cause serious damage  ;) )

Another alternative is the 'just meat' menus, they have 90% meat and 10% minerals and water, but then you would have to add other stuff to make it a complete meal.

Don't know where you are buying Forthglade, but I have found the cheapest to be Vetuk atm £18.56 for grain free complete 395gx18, they also do these in boxes of 7 for £7.20, so you can change the flavours if you want......or £15.86 for 395gx18 for the Just meals.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 01:04:14 PM »
Interesting. I just bought my few in Morrisons.        Well, I have to feed him wet food because he's not got any chewing teeth left, so for the last two days I gave soaked Guru kibble for half an hour or so, and he's got perfect poops already.  I'm not prepared to buy Forthglade if I have to mess about with extras or pea removal! My other dog will only eat raw home made mix, so that's enough messing doing batchEs every fortnight. And no, the toothless one can't cope with raw minced mixture.    I thought children were fussy.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 01:52:22 PM »
If its a common problem, maybe  someone should tell them ???:huh:

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
Can I just ask if peas are bad for dogs.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »
If its a common problem, maybe  someone should tell them ???:huh:

I have told them on more than one occassion, or at least have tried to but they just send an email with a long diatribe to let me know they won't change things and nobody else has complained  :dunno:

Same as some of their foods with rice really smell stink of herbs and I have stopped using that on a regular basis,  I now use Naturediet Lamb, rice & veg (no peas in ND they use carrot) for 2 of mine and Forthglade grainfree Turkey for Toby.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:12:09 PM »

Not sure if they are particularly bad, but the peas in Forthglade foods (and Wainrights) are so bloomin hard and give my dogs wind if they have too many  :fear2: - they have a tendency not to be digested very well.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »

Not sure if they are particularly bad, but the peas in Forthglade foods (and Wainrights) are so bloomin hard and give my dogs wind if they have too many  :fear2: - they have a tendency not to be digested very well.

Oh right, thank you.  I asked because Rosie loves Lily's Kitchen fishy fish pie with peas and I didn't want to be giving her something I shouldn't.  Mind you I don't think there are a tremendous amount of them in it.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 11:17:51 PM »
I had a reply from Forthglade. They save samples from each batch, and will investigate my batch. Naturally no-one else has ever commented on this to them before...........!!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »
I had a reply from Forthglade. They save samples from each batch, and will investigate my batch. Naturally no-one else has ever commented on this to them before...........!!

MM!! porky pie merchants too aye, be interesting to see what they come up with in their investigation, me thinks  ;)