Author Topic: Biting!!!!!!  (Read 2902 times)

Offline hoover

Re: Biting!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »
If you're having difficulty getting them into time out I would try leaving a long light lead attached to them in the house so that you can take the end of this to lead them away in a more non-confrontational manner at these times.  That way you get to calmly remain in control of the situation rather than the dog sensing it can control the outcome by resorting to aggressive displays.

They are in general likely to grow out of this as they get older I reckon but it is still important to try to establish boundaries of behaviour. My dog certainly had moments that were pretty serious when he was an adolescent and they couldn't be described as playing.

Offline Angell

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
So had the evening run/walk at 5 yest! Evening lunging continued Arrgh!! Will persevere it hope eventually helps!!
Staring to look a bit strange on the school run with my holey clothes and muddy paw prints on my coat haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 12:18:52 PM »
So had the evening run/walk at 5 yest! Evening lunging continued Arrgh!! Will persevere it hope eventually helps!!
Staring to look a bit strange on the school run with my holey clothes and muddy paw prints on my coat haha!

That's how we cocker owners are instantly recognizable!!  :005:

Offline Angell

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »

Think your right !!! Lol

Offline ips

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 12:23:33 PM »

Indeed, I have never been a scruffy sod UNTIL she came to live with us. Now I don't see the point of wearing anything decent as within seconds I am full of mud. Ruddy cockers 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »

Have you tried giving him a bone to chew on in the evenings?
The first time I gave Milo one it kept him busy for ages, just a thought.
Obviously if you do you need to take out some of his general food to compensate.

Offline Angell

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »

Obviously if you do you need to take out some of his general food to compensate.

Yes he loves a bone that's the only time he's still lol
I do think he seems particularly bad again at the moment as teeth are dropping out and new ones popping through rapidly!
Just some days seem horrendous!!

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 02:25:25 PM »

I do think he seems particularly bad again at the moment as teeth are dropping out and new ones popping through rapidly!

Yeah I know how you feel, some days I just want to give up. He has me in tears at times.
I feel bad for my kids, my 4yr old is either sat on stairs behind stair gate or on the table cos he just goes for her [emoji853], my sofas seen better days (luckily it's old and will be getting replaced...maybe give it a while though lol) my garden won't be winning any prizes, my carpet needs washing..again. The list is endless.
I certainly never expected having a puppy to be like this.. had I, I probably wouldn't have got him. Still he is getting better and is so lovely at times but it's a lot of work and I'm still hopeful it will be worth it in the end 🤞🏼

Offline Angell

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »

Yeah I know how you feel, some days I just want to give up. He has me in tears at times.
I feel bad for my kids, my 4yr old is either sat on stairs behind stair gate or on the table cos he just goes for her [emoji853], my sofas seen better days (luckily it's old and will be getting replaced...maybe give it a while though lol) my garden won't be winning any prizes, my carpet needs washing..again. The list is endless.
I certainly never expected having a puppy to be like this.. had I, I probably wouldn't have got him. Still he is getting better and is so lovely at times but it's a lot of work and I'm still hopeful it will be worth it in the end 🤞🏼

You sound exactly like us!! My son who's 9 still gets his feet attacked on a daily basis!!
My errrr "garden" is now a mud pit with a few tufts of grass!
I spend my life constantly cleaning the kitchen floor!!
I just keep saying to myself that it will get better and one day we will be that family walking through the countryside and enjoying  him!! Not feeling constantly stressed because his recall is rubbish and wants to jump up everyone that passes by??Hahaha!!
I try really hard with all the trainers advice but unless there's sausages as a treat he's not that bothered?!

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 02:45:40 PM »
Lol [emoji23] it's 'nice' to know I'm not alone. I could moan on all day about it all.
I found Milo pretty good with his training, although class has finished now (thank god as he wasn't a joy to take, with the waiting around and too much excitement of the other pups) but trying to use it in everyday life just gone out the window. Like you said if a treat is in hand he's perfect but if I ask him to sit stay whilst I go in the utility room to sort washing he's shoots in b4 me [emoji35] and don't get me started on heel work...non existent [emoji848]
We all dream of being that family having a nice stroll through the countryside on a Sunday after noon...one eh? 🤞🏼

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 04:17:05 PM »
A few tips from those days, which I remember well!

Bully/pizzle sticks are brilliant chews for pup. Completely natural and last for ages. Some of them stink, but the ones I get from Amazon (called Best Bully Sticks, I think) hardly smell at all.

To get them to stay longer in a sit-stay or a down, you have to build up the time very gradually and methodically. Google the 300 Peck method, where you add literally one second at a time, and start over from zero if they break the sit. It works really well, it makes a good game, and they do learn! I am very specific about adding 'stay' to a sit command. 'Wait' just means 'hang on a sec' but stay means stay. We haven't got it perfect, but if you start now, you'll have it down in no time.

You can also teach them to 'go to your mat' when you a teaching a longer stay - I have a mat or bed in each room where if I send him there, he has to lie down and be calm. You can start this when they are really young. Again, you have to build up the time they stay very gradually.

They are much worse when they are teething, and there's not much you can do about that except grin and bear it and know it does pass, honestly!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 04:19:58 PM »
It night seem as though you will never get there, but one day you will be out on that lovely family country walk and laugh as you remember the cockerdile  of old.

Trust me, it will happen. It just that cockers take longer to get there than your 'normal' dogs.

Offline Angell

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 05:22:16 PM »

Bully/pizzle sticks are brilliant chews for pup. Completely natural and last for ages. Some of them stink, but the ones I get from Amazon (called Best Bully Sticks, I think) hardly smell at all.

To get them to stay longer in a sit-stay or a down, you have to build up the time very gradually and methodically. Google the 300 Peck method, where you add literally one second at a time, and start over from zero if they break the sit. It works really well, it makes a good game, and they do learn! I am very specific about adding 'stay' to a sit command. 'Wait' just means 'hang on a sec' but stay means stay. We haven't got it perfect, but if you start now, you'll have it down in no time.

You can also teach them to 'go to your mat' when you a teaching a longer stay - I have a mat or bed in each room where if I send him there, he has to lie down and be calm. You can start this when they are really young. Again, you have to build up the time they stay very gradually.

They are much worse when they are teething, and there's not much you can do about that except grin and bear it and know it does pass, honestly!
Haha!
Thankyou
The trainer had given us a bully stick to try, which he loved!! I just couldn't bare the smell, truly awful! So will definitely look at the ones on Amazon!!

He's good generally when we do training games, it all just goes to pot when he's on one [emoji38]

Offline Angell

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »
It night seem as though you will never get there, but one day you will be out on that lovely family country walk and laugh as you remember the cockerdile  of old.

Trust me, it will happen. It just that cockers take longer to get there than your 'normal' dogs.
I do hope so [emoji4]

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 05:35:03 PM »

Thanks londongirl some really good advice, I will google the 300 peck method.
I saw the bully sticks mentioned on another thread possibly by you? and did look them up and they were quite expensive but anything that helps is great [emoji1360]