Author Topic: Biting!!!!!!  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Biting!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
One bully stick will last a pup several days.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline PopPops

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »

Going through this too and having the 'why did I do this???' moments - at 12 weeks most of the time he's a very painful set of teeth on legs, obsessed with biting me, chasing the cats or trying to poison himself, pausing frequently to pee or poo in the wrong place!

I keep reminding myself that with Pops that manic, bitey, PITA puppy really did turn into the gorgeous, gorgeous girl she was - who was (mostly) trained, so easy to have around and so much fun to be outside with. I may have to write it down and stick it on the fridge. When I'm walking through the lounge with Tolly's teeth locked into my trousers so I'm dragging him along after me, or he flying tackles me on the sofa to bite my hair I keep repeating over and over, this will pass. This WILL pass.

Can it just please pass a bit quicker?
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline Angell

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »

Going through this too and having the 'why did I do this???' moments - at 12 weeks most of the time he's a very painful set of teeth on legs, obsessed with biting me, chasing the cats or trying to poison himself, pausing frequently to pee or poo in the wrong place!

I keep reminding myself that with Pops that manic, bitey, PITA puppy really did turn into the gorgeous, gorgeous girl she was - who was (mostly) trained, so easy to have around and so much fun to be outside with. I may have to write it down and stick it on the fridge. When I'm walking through the lounge with Tolly's teeth locked into my trousers so I'm dragging him along after me, or he flying tackles me on the sofa to bite my hair I keep repeating over and over, this will pass. This WILL pass.

Can it just please pass a bit quicker?
This has made me laugh!
I am soooooo glad that it's not just Chester that has a thing for biting hair!!!
It really does make me feel better that there are cocker households all over all going through the same predicaments [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 04:16:33 PM »
One bully stick will last a pup several days.

Well my best bully sticks arrived (thank you for the tip [emoji3]) and I think I may have ordered ones that were too slim as the boy had munched it all within 40mins lol.

Offline FrankieBlue

Biting!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 05:45:16 AM »
This all had me laughing out loud! It is so wonderful to be able to commiserate with other Cockerdile parents. My mouthy little girl is obsessed with every part of my body... my hair, toes, nose, you name it. Sometimes I wonder if she's possessed by some sort of chewing demon. I get up and walk away, usually the lack of attention gets her to stop. Bully sticks (unscented, please) work wonders, but usually I steam some baby carrots then freeze them and surprisingly they do the trick! It is certainly true that the more over tired they get, the crazier they become. Today no one listened or adhered to her little schedule so she got no sleep, and was an absolute naughty monster. I have the battle wounds to prove it. [emoji24]

I'm sure one day we will all look back with smiles but for now, ouch! Best of luck to you, your skin + clothing.

Offline Goddy

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 05:31:14 PM »
Am very glad I logged in to this thread as going through exactly the same with my 5 month old cocker (working strain) - she is so very, very bitey and so very, very willful - 'NO' doesn't register - just keeps on doing it regardless of time outs, etc.  Was worried about the biting as her little face looks so feral when she's doing it - always when she wakes up from a doze, usually after feeding and often just cos she feels like it!  What's so familiar as well is that she is really bright and doing great at puppy class and with all the commands, great recall when out - so why doesn't she understand what is unwanted behaviour???

Offline PopPops

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »

We've had a better week where there were.... shhhh!..... some cuddles! Actual cuddles, without teeth.

I've been rigid on routine, and watched like a hawk and figured out he has about a 90 minute cycle of wake/sleep. So he's been going in his crate for a schedule nap every 90 minutes, and he's been out for the count within two minutes and sometimes he's slept for two hours or more. And the difference Is Huge. Huge.

Now starting to recognise manic bitey monster as in urgent need of a nap.
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline Angell

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »
I think you are so right!! Chester is like two different dogs at times!!
So yest two nice walks, lots of rest as I was busy doing some work, he was a pure pleasure last evening!! Cuddling with the kids! Let me brush him and very minimal bitey times!
Today because he was at the groomer this morning when he usually has a long sleep, he's over tired! Bitey! Jumpy and a general pain in the behind!! [emoji23]
Will he give in..... Oh no!!!
Roll on Tom !!![emoji30][emoji23][emoji190]

Offline PennyB

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
Am very glad I logged in to this thread as going through exactly the same with my 5 month old cocker (working strain) - she is so very, very bitey and so very, very willful - 'NO' doesn't register - just keeps on doing it regardless of time outs, etc.  Was worried about the biting as her little face looks so feral when she's doing it - always when she wakes up from a doze, usually after feeding and often just cos she feels like it!  What's so familiar as well is that she is really bright and doing great at puppy class and with all the commands, great recall when out - so why doesn't she understand what is unwanted behaviour???

One of main problems is they also haven't bonded strongly with owners enough to listen to command either especially when they get overexcited

Often just doing basic training (of any sorts) combined with games/fun stuff is very useful for getting them to bond with you

Plus working cockers often need (brain) stimulation as well as exercise that will also help with stuff like this (but beware not to overstimulate as they can tip over in to overexcitement too) - the more tired they are the less chance for nortiness
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline rubybella

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
You will all come out the other side, but it can go on for a long while!  My wcs was really good as a pup, but my lab was about 2 before the puppy behaviour stopped and she matured into a well behaved dog. Unfortunately people are attracted by the cuteness of a puppy and don't realise how hard, exhausting and emotionally draining owning a puppy is, sadly this is why rescues get so many under 12 month old puppies in, because the owners just give up! Cocker spaniels are demanding, as are many other breeds, they are energetic, like human contact, can be noisy and enjoy life! Make sure you have boundaries, and stick to them. They need to learn what is acceptable and what is not, through positive training methods. Reward them when they are good and teach them that NO, means NO. Letting a puppy do just what it likes will only cause problems in the future.

Although it seems really hard work at the moment you will get there, it won't last forever.

Offline ian.peet.3

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
Our jet has been a nightmare the last 2 days ,I look like I am trying to self harm I have that many bites on my arms and legs ...I feel really guilty keep giving him time outs ..but reading your comments I am sure he will come through...I have tried other toys,socks etc and getting up and walking away ( he just attaches himself to our clothing ) can't wait for it to pass

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
We over stimulate puppies.  Humans can't help it! 
The older dumped or stray pups I know of in Greece,  lucky enough to get fostered in homes with other dogs, are all the most laid back and vice free bunch!  Mostly spaniel or setter  or hound types, they have had their first months being put in place by adult dogs,  but with friendly care from the humans. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline rachmonkey

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2017, 06:13:18 PM »
I'm reading this with interest. Our 5 month old working cocker has us a bit confused. Largely he is gentle and playful.  But we had a few episode where he has really snapped  sometimes with a growl. This happens when
He is frustrated, if we are taking something he really wants. And once to my daughter who chose a bad time to hug him. This is different to puppy nipping as people have said. The feral look! Usually we exchange things but on these couple of occasions it has been so quick or unexpected we haven't been able to. And we have been so cross we have shouted and removed him whih is perhaps not the best thing.  We are doing lots of training with him and he gets a lot of exercise.

I am reassuring myself that he has bite inhibition as it doesn't realy hurt and doesn't break the skin. But it worries me it will escalate. I wonder if this is normal  cockerdile behaviour? Or if I should be more concerned.?

Advice would be great

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »
Just wondering if he is getting too tired and over stimulated, puppies need quite a lot of rest during their growing period.

I have found with all three of mine in turn when youngsters, that once they start getting nippy and growly it is often because they need to sleep, so I pick them up if possible and if not lure them into the crate with a treat and let them sleep till they wake. Don't let the children disturb him whilst he is asleep. (I don't have children, but I imagine it can be very tempting for them to want to play even if puppy does not).

The 'cockerdile stage is most frustrating, but hopefully will not last too long.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline hoover

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »
I'm reading this with interest. Our 5 month old working cocker has us a bit confused. Largely he is gentle and playful.  But we had a few episode where he has really snapped  sometimes with a growl. This happens when
He is frustrated, if we are taking something he really wants. And once to my daughter who chose a bad time to hug him. This is different to puppy nipping as people have said. The feral look! Usually we exchange things but on these couple of occasions it has been so quick or unexpected we haven't been able to. And we have been so cross we have shouted and removed him whih is perhaps not the best thing.  We are doing lots of training with him and he gets a lot of exercise.

I am reassuring myself that he has bite inhibition as it doesn't realy hurt and doesn't break the skin. But it worries me it will escalate. I wonder if this is normal  cockerdile behaviour? Or if I should be more concerned.?

Advice would be great

I think you have to be aware of body language and the sorts of scenarios when he might go straight to snapping rather than being happy with an exchange for a treat. Tiredness is definitely something that can exacerbate this as Mudmagnets already said.  It might also be that he is allocating different values to things he has, and so where he might be happy to swap a tissue for a treat as he doesn't care about it so much, he wouldn't be happy to swap a sock for the same treat as he has attached a higher value to the sock and will snap if an approach is made.  Obviously he will have his own hierarchy of value for objects and your job is to identify this, and have your own corresponding valuable exchanges - so the treat he loves the most in exchange for something high value. More of that particular treat if it is especially valuable to him.  It is best to encourage him to come to you for the treat rather than going to him as he may find that more threatening, but feels more like it is his choice when he makes the movement to you.   

With the snapping at your daughter I would say if you can get her involved in the dog's training that might help and if she is the one to feed the dog he may start to respect her more and be less inclined to impatience and snappiness.  She should demand that he fulfils a few commands that she gives before giving him food - sit, lie down, paw...whatever he knows really.

Good luck!  It is a difficult age and may continue for a few months.  We also found neutering made a dramatic change to this sort of behaviour in our dog.