Author Topic: lost her head  (Read 2828 times)

Offline ips

lost her head
« on: March 18, 2017, 05:19:30 PM »
No point to the following other than you think its trained but its always lurking.

Despite high winds and heavy rain we had a walk in the woods, the stream was in full flow and the footpath was very muddy. I hunted her for the duration to avoid self employment and occasionally dropped a ball for her to find so that she trusted my hunt there and or turn commands. Popped in a few stops and recalls and walked her at heel on a few occasions, she was absolutely reliable throughout the expedition. Then as we passed our own field she clocks a couple of pheasant about fifty yards away in the middle of an adjoining field. Before I could get on the whistle she was off full tilt, ignored stop and a subsequent recall but she did return as soon as the birds flushed.
Now I know that having words about a bog off episode after the event is frowned on because pooch will associate the bollocking with the last thing it did, in this case returning but I don't buy that and have had this discussion with folk before. I have had words with her before for a misdemeanour upon the return and I know for sure that she knows exactly what were having words about. (I will brace myself for the incoming comments that I am wrong) So she returns I pop lead on and explain the error of her ways. We walk the fifty yards home on a slack slip lead.

Don't know what signal I missed and its not usual for her so just goes to show one can never get complacent or take your eye off the ball.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: lost her head
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
Similar thing happened to us this morning and instead of the usual stop and sit as the field path crosses the main road, Humphrey bolted across the road. We cross there every day, he's  NEVER done it before, thankfully there was no traffic but it brought it home to me that  I had become very stupidly complacent by not giving him the command early enough and relying on him to do it autimatically, as he's been doing for months. I'm ashamed to admit to raising my voice and putting him back on the lead quite roughly but the fault's as much mine as his, I fear  and I'm horrified  when I think what could have happened!  >:D
He's been a bit "absent minded" for a a couple of days though, maybe this stormy weather does have some effect (recent thread on here)....? :huh:

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »
Similar thing happened to us this morning and instead of the usual stop and sit as the field path crosses the main road, Humphrey bolted across the road. We cross there every day, he's  NEVER done it before, thankfully there was no traffic but it brought it home to me that  I had become very stupidly complacent by not giving him the command early enough and relying on him to do it autimatically, as he's been doing for months. I'm ashamed to admit to raising my voice and putting him back on the lead quite roughly but the fault's as much mine as his, I fear  and I'm horrified  when I think what could have happened!  >:D
He's been a bit "absent minded" for a a couple of days though, maybe this stormy weather does have some effect (recent thread on here)....? :huh:

I can imagine that was a bit of a fright for you 😞

Yes complacency soon creeps in does it not, nothing is ever truly reliable.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 08:06:47 PM »
LOL, there isn't no such thing as a perfectly steady dog, with regard to showing displeasure on return it really does depend on the situation, with me its when they come back and look at you with tongue hanging out, tail wagging and with the look in the eyes that says  yeah yeah I know but I couldn't resist
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
LOL, there isn't no such thing as a perfectly steady dog, with regard to showing displeasure on return it really does depend on the situation, with me its when they come back and look at you with tongue hanging out, tail wagging and with the look in the eyes that says  yeah yeah I know but I couldn't resist

Ha, yes Jeff I am learning that although as you know early on my journey I assumed all trained to gun dogs were exactly that.

You may remember that I have touched on this topic of bollocking after the event in the past and I remain adamant that she absolutely knows what she is being bollocked for as long as its within a reasonable time frame, I have no doubt about this whatsoever.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
Its a very fine line Ian, I always advise never show displeasure on the return because it can go badly wrong especially for new handlers. With Teal I try to show I am not happy during the offence by turning my back and walking away ( I am far to old to run out and catch her) when she does arrive back I keep turning my back and ignore her  she knows I am not happy and its enough for her, Teal like many cockers hates to be ignored.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
I will try Tha Jeff.
But are we not now back to the point of showing displeasure (however one does it) not immediately after the misdemeanour  ?
Not that I buy it anyway. If the dog does not know yet what you want from it then I see the point of having to correct it within seconds of the event but surely when a dog does a bog off, like mine did yesterday then he or she knows exactly what it did wrong ??

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
I think its not so much showing displeasure as  not showing pleasure - there's a subtle difference and these little wotsits are very astute, they know the difference alright!..... ;)