Author Topic: Using cheap clippers (now updated with results)  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Using cheap clippers
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
Awesome, so they don't need spf  :005: I was hoping to to a more subtle look, but since Laurië hates the clippers it is a bonus that it lasts longer :) This is what she used to look like after a trip to the groomer. I think it looks slightly ridiculous, but it looked nice after a couple of weeks and I didn't have to go too often. If 7f is not worse than this then I think I'll just go for it :)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 12:54:12 PM »
Good luck!! My first attempt on Humphrey yesterday failed miserably - but that's another thread!
I am beginning to wonder if the groomer had him anaesthetised, can't imagine how she managed it single handed otherwise!  :005:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
Hahaha thanks, I'm going to need it! Laurië HATES the clippers and anything else that goes bzzzz. Tried for ages to get her used to an electric toothbrush. But couldn't even get her to sit next to it without attacking. And I'm no stranger to training and desensitizing a dog to things, there was just no progress on this particular issue so I gave up. That sound triggers her so much and she goes into attack mode trying to murder the toothbrush/clipper/neck massage pillow etc. At the groomers I would have to hold her while the groomer worked, I used to be all sweaty and tired after going there. So I'm going to need some help holding her for sure....What happened with Humphrey? Is there an actual thread about it? I would love to see pictures of the results? He is probably much calmer at the groomersthan with you. When I worked at the vets I noticed that even the dogs that scream, fight, bite and are completely hysterical become little angels as soon as the owner leaves. I guess it's like children, the are much braver and therefore naughtier with their parents than with say their teachers. Of course there are exceptions, but most dogs behave more politely when there are no owners there. We are as gentle and calm as their owners would be, sometimes even more so, but they just behave better towards a stranger than to their own people  ;)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »
I'd posted a cry for help in the grooming section yesterday and lescef and Finvarra very kindly gave me a few tips and a bit of moral support!  ;). He didn't attack it as such but although OH was holding his head, he just kept jumping as soon as I got within an inch and I just couldn't do it. I've thinned him out with the coat kind and that looks ok, I've used thinning scissors on his legs but just wanted to clip under his chin and throat and round the ears and then do underneath, the hairs so long, it gets all sticky and he smells like a public loo!!  >:(
I've decided to leave it for a couple of days to calm us all down and I'll have another go next week. Will send you a picture - or maybe not, depends how it turns out!  :005: :005:
I do agree about them playing up with us though, when the vet shaved his tummy and then did a scan to find his undescended testicle, he fell asleep on the table!!  >:D
Maybe we should just swap dogs!!  ;)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 05:40:16 PM »
I'm sure you'll get him used to it. He probably just needs to experience it a few times to understand that it is no big deal. Most things can be solved with a little patience and some treats ;) With my girl I tried both since desensitization and positive reinforcement has worked well for most things. But in the end I found that she was stressing no matter what. So holding her firmly and getting it over with actually seemed to be less stressful for her. (At the groomers anyway).

Can't wait to try it on my own, guessing I should expect it to take a few days here too. I can already feel the frustration so time outs will be necessary (for me) ;) I've been using both the furminator and thinning scissors lately so she looks alot better than she did. But she is still very fluffy and already panting in the sun even though spring is barely here. Not to mention she never dries afer swimming and the house is covered in golden, red dust bunnies minutes after I finish hoovering. Drives me crazy!  :005: So I think it will be worth the hard work for both her and us  :021: I've noticed I have to shampoo and condition her fur almost once a week if I want to be able to brush her, and with tick season upon us washing her weekly is not an option. And having a long, thick, fluffy coat in this area will require tick prevention as there are tons of them here  >:(

Swapping dogs sounds like a plan, too bad we live so far from each other! Allthough I don't think I would be brave enough to clip other peoples dogs. My only experience with clippers is from the vet clinic and if anyone has seen a shaved down cat fresh from the vets they know that most vet nurses are NOT trained groomers  :lol2:

Offline lescef

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »
That photo looks really closely clipped. I'd say maybe a 10 possibly.  I'm sure a 7 wouldn't look that close, but it could be because she golden and mine are roan. At least it grows!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »
That photo looks really closely clipped. I'd say maybe a 10 possibly.  I'm sure a 7 wouldn't look that close, but it could be because she golden and mine are roan. At least it grows!

I agree - last summer when it was really hot I did Coco all over with the 8.5 and it wasn't as short as in your pic, so a 7 should be fine for you  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 07:26:28 PM »
Thanks guys! Yes, she looked bald for a few days there  :005: Not the groomers choice, she wanted to do a proper cocker look, but I just wanted it to be easy to maintain.

I had decided to go for the 7f, but then I found 5f on a different website so I ordered that. I don't mind having it shorter, but it feels safer for a beginner to have more to go on somehow.

Do you shave against the hair or with it? My groomer used to go against the hair, she said it made it shorter, but that it was easier to get it smooth and even.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »
Go against the hair where you want it short, e.g. The head and chest. Go with the hair if you want it longer. I now use the clippers on Dylan's legs but heals really well out so they are not shaved. Trying to get the cocker look without the stripping. I use a coat king on his back and legs.

Tip for the ears - when you do the inside put a bit of cotton wool in to stop the little clippings going into the canal, and afterwards give the ears a good clean with liquid cleaner just to be on the safe side. Don,t think anything could be worse that tickly  hairs down the ears  :005:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 10:33:54 PM »
Go against the hair where you want it short, e.g. The head and chest. Go with the hair if you want it longer. I now use the clippers on Dylan's legs but heals really well out so they are not shaved. Trying to get the cocker look without the stripping. I use a coat king on his back and legs.

Tip for the ears - when you do the inside put a bit of cotton wool in to stop the little clippings going into the canal, and afterwards give the ears a good clean with liquid cleaner just to be on the safe side. Don,t think anything could be worse that tickly  hairs down the ears  :005:

Lesley and Dylan

That's a good idea, - I was worried about that when I used the scissors aswell, never thought about cotton wool - thanks!

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
Thanks again for the helpful tips! I have always been with her to the groomers. But I usually have my hands full with the squirming dog 😂 plus she makes it look so easy and I know it won't be. I may keep doing her head and ears with scissors if it doesnt look too weird. The cottonball is a good idea though. Yeah, itchy ears are the worst! With allergy season upon us I can attest to that  >:(

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 06:39:27 PM »
The clippers arrived today so we tried them out (pet clipper 9000 and oster 5f). Laurië was very well behaved, for the most part. But she cried the saddest little cries the entire time and tried to attack the clippers a few times. So we are not finished, at all. But I think it will look pretty decent when we are done. We decided to take a break and do the rest another day :)

I have not done anything to her back, but I did her sides and belly and most of her legs. I haven't decided if I should do the back. The transition is a little uneven, but if I cut the back she will loose the red colour and be all golden again :P Not that goldens aren't lovely, they are, I've just missed the red.

I need to do something about the ears, head, chest and even out the legs more. But for a first attempt I'm just pleased she doesn't look like someone ran her over with a lawn mower  :005: Yay!

Don't mind the sad look, she had a ton of treats both during and after the ordeal. Pretty sure she's not as traumatized as the picture suggests.

This is what I had to deal with so all in all I think it's an improvement:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Using cheap clippers (now updated with results)
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
That looks good Mari and I don't think the back looks too bad as it is and I agree with you, Laurie's such a lovely colour, it would be a shame to take it all off.  I've read that it isn't such a good idea to cut it too short anyway as it actually makes them even hotter in the summer, they need a certain amount of coat to insulate the body. The grooming DVD I bought recommended using the effilier scissors (sorry, not sure of the english term, thats what they're called here), to blend the line between the shaven bit and the rest. I used the coat king on the ears to thin them out a bit and then did the top bits with the effilier scissors aswell - the DVD recommends the clippers, but I didn't feel very confident although I did manage to do the inside of the ear flaps, which takes a lot of the thickness out.  Have you had a look at any of the youtube videos? You might get some tips on there but to be honest, I think you've done a good job!! Can't post pictures of Humphrey yet, he's still not finished  :005:, (although heaven knows when he will be, I keep putting it off!! )

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2017, 08:14:12 PM »
Thank you  :D

I have some thinning scissors (effilering) that I can use to try and smooth the transitions with. It it still looks very uneven I'll just go over with the clippers. Her head and ears have allready had one round with scissors and thinning scissors, but that was before the shave and now her head looks way too big so I'll have to try doing it again and shorter this time. I'm hoping she'll let me shave the insides of her ears, but I'm not counting on it. Anyway, we've managed with scissors before.

No, I've not watched youtube videos, but I did watch my groomer work on her. She just made it look so easy, plus she had me to hold the crazy animal. My mum is not as good at holding her still. But youtube is a good idea, thanks! I'm not trying for a cocker look though, I'll keep the ears and the tail feathering, but other than that I just want her to look cared for and have a practical, easy to maintain fur.

I totally understand putting it off with Humphrey. And with him being so young you are probably better off getting him slowly used to the clippers than rushing it like I do. My girl is 11 soon and has had many "scary" trips to the groomers in the past. It is easier to just do it and get it over with for her. But I would probably go slow if she was a young dog not having had any experience with clipping  :021:

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
I have basic clippers suppose to be for dogs...have guards for different lengths but have had no success with those. All I have that works  is a lever that extends the cut a little. So I do head and 1/3 ears and back with that. The rest ...legs and skirt I have to try and do with thinning scissors. Not ideal I wish I had a blade that would just cut the same all over. So I take Lexi for a cut in Spring and hope to maintain that until Winter. But I am saving on grooming costs with just one professional cut a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk