Author Topic: Boot Camp  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
Boot Camp
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
Blue and I spent the day with a dog trainer on Wednesday this week, following a recent incident where he took off after a flock of sheep which unexpectedly appeared whist I had him off lead.
Although initially looking for help with stopping him chasing livestock, we spent a full day covering all the aspects of basic good behaviour training.
She was magnificent, actually, and had Blue nailed down within minutes of meeting him.  She showed me where I've been going wrong - which seems to be pretty much everywhere - and we now need to go right back to basics.
I've been told to practise loose lead walking, in areas with progressively more distractions, and not to take him on normal walks until I have cracked this - she reckoned it would take a couple of weeks max.   
He also needs a much more solid 'leave it' command, which at the moment is hit and miss.
Recall and staying close need a lot of work.  Armed with a long line and a whistle, we will be tackling this too.
I've not to use a harness or lead with bungee stretch for lead walking anymore, a normal collar and lead is recommended, and I invested in a lead marked TRAINING to stop people interrupting or otherwise putting him off.
So far, mixed progress.  His 'Sit, stay' has improved a lot already, and I've finally got him to sit at the door and let me out first - although when I turn to release him, he anticipates the signal and launches himself out of the door like a rocket.
Loose lead; very mixed, sometimes awful - mouths the lead and is determined to play, rather than concentrate. 
He doesn't listen or respond to my commands consistently, so I'm struggling to get him to co-operate. 
The trainer was very firm with him from the start and he immediately responded to that, but he's running rings round me and I'm not sure how to progress?
We're both really missing the walks and I need to be able to take him out again asap, for both our sakes!
Any advice welcome please.  I will update with (hopefully) progress.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: Boot Camp
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »
I can't give you any advice, Reese is back on a long line after he ignored me to run up to a poor nervous dog to play! Just wanted to say well done for taking action, wish you luck and give you some moral support .  :bigarmhug:

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
No advice - only sympathy and support. With everywhere around us awash with sheep and lambs Mr B and Annie are confined to long leads for the present.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »
First of all, well done for taking action and tackling this. I pretty much did everything wrong with Henry too and am still working on fixing things. You'll get there so much quicker with positive support from your trainer.

I know it's frustrating missing your normal walks, but your trainer is absolutely right. If you do nothing but work on the lead walking, you WILL crack it. It's been a real issue for you, I know, so try to remember that a few weeks now, maybe a month, dedicated to this will immeasurably improve your life - and your relationship with Blue. At the end of it, he may not walk perfectly to heel, but he will stop dragging you around. The first week of my lead training regime with Henry was immensely frustrating. We barely moved and I thought he wasn't getting it at all. Sometime in the second week things started to improve, and then they got better and better. With consistent practice and some maturing on his part, we can have a really nice lead walk now.

And that means you can still have nice walks while working on the recall, and can pop him back on the lead when you need to for his safety and that of other animals. That takes a lot of pressure off as well.

I've also really worked on sits, downs and stays in the past few months. Much more consistently than before. Again, it seems at first like he's not getting it. You have to see it through - that's where I went wrong before, leaving things half-trained.

You can do this! *waves pom-poms*
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »
First of all, well done for taking action and tackling this. I pretty much did everything wrong with Henry too and am still working on fixing things. You'll get there so much quicker with positive support from your trainer.

I know it's frustrating missing your normal walks, but your trainer is absolutely right. If you do nothing but work on the lead walking, you WILL crack it. It's been a real issue for you, I know, so try to remember that a few weeks now, maybe a month, dedicated to this will immeasurably improve your life - and your relationship with Blue. At the end of it, he may not walk perfectly to heel, but he will stop dragging you around. The first week of my lead training regime with Henry was immensely frustrating. We barely moved and I thought he wasn't getting it at all. Sometime in the second week things started to improve, and then they got better and better. With consistent practice and some maturing on his part, we can have a really nice lead walk now.

And that means you can still have nice walks while working on the recall, and can pop him back on the lead when you need to for his safety and that of other animals. That takes a lot of pressure off as well.

I've also really worked on sits, downs and stays in the past few months. Much more consistently than before. Again, it seems at first like he's not getting it. You have to see it through - that's where I went wrong before, leaving things half-trained.

You can do this! *waves pom-poms*

Good advice from LG, I too have been guilty of moving on too quickly and ending up with a few half good things. If I had my time again I would get loose lead nailed before moving on to ANYTHING else.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
Pom-poms much appreciated, thank you!  :005:
Long line was a disaster this morning, he just wanted a tug of war with it  >:(

This afternoon though, he's been really good, we've had three 10 minute loose lead walks up and down our cul de sac with few distractions, and once he realises what we're doing, he seems quick to set to.  As long as I have sausage, all's well! 
I'm also cultivating LG's 'Look at me' signal, by holding the treat up to my face, and that's working well too.
'Sit, stay' has been consistently good this afternoon, even when the cat strolled by mid exercise and gave him the side eye. 
Have had to reduce his normal food quite significantly though, to allow use of more treats.
The trainer did say he is a quick learner so it should be achievable in a short time frame (easy for her to say!).

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 05:24:38 PM »
This sounds like the person I need to help with Mollie!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 05:40:51 PM »
Pom-poms much appreciated, thank you!  :005:
Long line was a disaster this morning, he just wanted a tug of war with it  >:(

This afternoon though, he's been really good, we've had three 10 minute loose lead walks up and down our cul de sac with few distractions, and once he realises what we're doing, he seems quick to set to.  As long as I have sausage, all's well! 
I'm also cultivating LG's 'Look at me' signal, by holding the treat up to my face, and that's working well too.
'Sit, stay' has been consistently good this afternoon, even when the cat strolled by mid exercise and gave him the side eye. 
Have had to reduce his normal food quite significantly though, to allow use of more treats.
The trainer did say he is a quick learner so it should be achievable in a short time frame (easy for her to say!).

Sounds like you are making brilliant progress already. Don't be put off by bad days, either, when it feels like everything is going backwards. I found days like that were often followed by real breakthroughs. One step back to take two forwards, if you know what I mean!

Offline hoover

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 12:05:13 AM »

The trainer was very firm with him from the start and he immediately responded to that, but he's running rings round me and I'm not sure how to progress?

I've found that I have to cultivate a whole new persona to get attention and obedience from Ollie at times - I have to slow myself right down with very purposeful movements and lower my voice.  At times my partner and I (both female) have to do 'the gorilla', which is where we slowly puff ourselves up, move our arms outstretched and above so as to create a larger profile , breath very slowly and deeply and attempt to speak in the deepest tone possible...and Ollie transforms from being out of control monster to 'whatever you say, boss'!  It's ridiculous for anyone else looking on, but it works.  :lol: This works mainly in the house (because we don't mind looking foolish then) but also works out and about when we can brings ourselves to do it and nobody else is looking on. I can get a much more reliable return to hand by demanding it from Ollie than I can by cajoling with treats - he seems to lose respect when we try this (snatch the treat and then run off and please himself again).

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 06:18:22 AM »

I've found that I have to cultivate a whole new persona to get attention and obedience from Ollie at times - I have to slow myself right down with very purposeful movements and lower my voice.  At times my partner and I (both female) have to do 'the gorilla', which is where we slowly puff ourselves up, move our arms outstretched and above so as to create a larger profile , breath very slowly and deeply and attempt to speak in the deepest tone possible...and Ollie transforms from being out of control monster to 'whatever you say, boss'!  It's ridiculous for anyone else looking on, but it works.  :lol: This works mainly in the house (because we don't mind looking foolish then) but also works out and about when we can brings ourselves to do it and nobody else is looking on. I can get a much more reliable return to hand by demanding it from Ollie than I can by cajoling with treats - he seems to lose respect when we try this (snatch the treat and then run off and please himself again).

Absolutely agree here - a lot of books mention this and both the trainers I used pulled me up on this - walking with head up, shoulders back and positive stride is more effective wIth lead management for example than just ambling along. I tend to have a pretty lazy posture most of the time and don't exactly radiate authority and I do think it makes a difference, - its not dominance but just a sign if leadership and that's what dogs want. Only wish I would remember to follow my own advice!  ;)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »
I think you both have a very good point.  Shoulders back, chin up.  I must command, not plead!
The trainer did say I needed to be more confident with him, now you come to mention it.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 03:47:36 PM »
Hopeless today.  My husband is at home, clearing out the garage, and Blue is just too distracted to do anything.  He's so worried about missing out on something.  *sigh*

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »
There's an internet abbreviation: FOMO - Fear Of Missing Out. It describes cockers to a t! There are some days when the distractions are just too great.

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 02:16:03 PM »
Much better today.  Assisted by a pocket full of snippets of steak, left over from last night, we have so far had three good goes at loose lead walking up and down the cul de sac, even coping with the distraction of neighbours.  I've asked my neighbours only to fuss him when he has all 4 paws on the floor, and he's getting the hang of that quickly.
I may attempt a short walk on the road this evening.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »
Well done! That sounds promising, you feel far more motivated once you start to see things working. I was advised last week to leave out breakfast and use the allowance for training. We tried it this morning and must admit Humphrey's attention span was much better (attention not on me but my pocket but hey ho - can't have everything!!). He ate two frankfurter sausages (😱😱) in all but ......it worked!!
Hope Blue doesn't become too much of a connoisseur though -he'll be asking for his steak cooked rare soon, (with a slurp of Burgundy to wash it down!!!) :005: :005: