Author Topic: Soft muzzle  (Read 1607 times)

Offline saracens123

Soft muzzle
« on: April 05, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »
Hi,has anyone tried a soft muzzle or can you recommend a friendlier style of muzzle for Sam.whilst he is not in the slightest bit aggressive he will not stop chewing sticks and I do not want him to have to be operated on for an internal injury of some kind.In addition can you advise if a muzzle would restrict him panting/breathing in the summer months? Has anyone had to muzzle their dog? Thanks

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Soft muzzle
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »
I'm not up on muzzles, apart from a soft cloth one I have for purposes of veterinary xamination, and if something painful needed to be done in an emergency, like a broken claw. The only thing I have seen are plastic basket type ones, or the wire very open ones that greyhounds wear, that wouldn't restrict air passage.

One of my Scotties went through a phase of eating poo on walks, it's a problem  >:D

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 05:45:45 PM »
I bought the Baskerville Ultra for Maddie to try and stop her scavenging whilst I was trying to stop her pulling on the lead. She didn't mind wearing it most of the time but sometimes she would rub her nose on the floor as we walked. In the end I started brisk walking so manage without it. It was dreadful on the beach as she rolled and pushed her muzzle in the sand and got into a dreadful mess of caked sand! >:D  With this type of muzzle they can pant and drink through it.
I think a soft muzzle is one like the vet would use and I'm fairly sure they can't pant through it. I'm sure others will know.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »
Problem with soft muzzles is, like you suspect, that they hold the mouth almost closed. So it will be difficult for the dog to pant and regulate temperature properly. I used one because it was required on public transport where I lived, but I would never go for walks with it on my dog. Only reason I chose the soft one was because it would fit in my pocket. I would actually argue that a plastic or metal basket muzzles are better and more comfortable for a dog that is going to run around :) Never actually tried one, but I would rather have one of those and make sure the parts touching the face don't have any sharp edges than use a cloth one that restricts breathing :)

Does he actually eat the sticks? Laurië chews sticks, but she spits out the pieces so I never worried about it. It's a good idea if he does eat them. I met a dog once who was muzzled because he would eat stones. I don't think he even noticed the muzzle on his face, he was so used to it.

Offline saracens123

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »
I think he does ingest the odd small piece.I do not think he means to swallow any pieces however.I did try him with a plastic muzzle once and to be honest he didn't mind it at all however I can't say I really liked the look of it!!.it did have a piece of padding on the inside to stop rubbing.I will have to have a good look around

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:36:04 AM »
I use the plastic Baskerville muzzles for two of my little horrors. They will both find the most nasty things to eat otherwise and I am not prepared to risk them getting sick...or worse. They can both drink and run with them on. Would be fair to say one is not particularly keen on it, but it's better than being on lead all of the walk.

I know they are not everyone's cup of tea, but they work for me and take the stress out of their free time.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 06:17:33 AM »
I've been meaning to get one for ages, just to have on hand for emergencies. . Someone suggested to me recently that its a good idea to practice putting them on occasionally in order to avoid additional stress in an accident or if they're injured or in pain and need restraining. Seems like a good idea, I thought of getting one to keep in the car.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »
I use a soft muzzle quite often, for stuff like paw maintenance, which cause a lot of "objection". He won't bite, at least not without warning, but might snap. You don't want to be worrying about this when "operating".

Got it from the  Vet.

You have to train a bit to get acceptance and use sometimes, when you don't need to, as a reminder.
I have no problem getting it on.

Come the day you need to get a tick out, or something similar, you may be glad you did this.

I meet people using the plastic-basket type to stop scavenging.  Mine does not do this.  Ball-obsessed you see.

Offline tenaille

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »
Yes, we keep one in the car in case we need one quickly. Its a basket type that we got for our previous cocker Beau who had aggression issues. These basket ones are very effective and can be worn for long periods without any discomfort, after the first couple of minutes they don't even notice. People don't like them just because of the look, but that's very short sighted and the dogs welfare should always come first.
On a slightly different note typing this has just made me realise how relaxed we now are, our young girl is so loving that she's a trusted family member who charms everyone  :luv:

Offline lescef

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 09:34:53 AM »
I've been meaning to get one for ages, just to have on hand for emergencies. . Someone suggested to me recently that its a good idea to practice putting them on occasionally in order to avoid additional stress in an accident or if they're injured or in pain and need restraining. Seems like a good idea, I thought of getting one to keep in the car.

Yes, you do have to train the wearing starting in the house. There are suggestions on the net. Must admit I haven't kept up the practice though :luv:
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline SandyT

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
Oh my 6 month old cocker chews sticks and everything else she can get her mouth on  :o. I haven't considered a muzzle yet though, I assumed this was just typical?  I don't need a muzzle do I?? 

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
SandyT,

I wouldn't be worrying about a muzzle, you pup has a lot of learning to do, Humans baby's explore with there hands and mouths , Dogs use there mouths to explore and learn.

Teaching Leave and rewarding with a nice treat should help, never snatch anything away from your dog or they will quickly learn not to give it up, to them it will become High Value.

I would try do stop them chewing sticks, plenty of vets have seen very painful injuries caused my sticks and splinters.

Sharon.

Offline SandyT

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 11:10:36 PM »
Thank you it's.sme,  some days I feel I know nothing at all about dogs and so much to learn!  I have been snatching things away as that's my first reaction but obviously I need to stop.  She's already learned to dodge and avoid me when this happens. Just yesterday she grabbed a full roll of toilet roll and while she was running with me chasing - the roll was unwinding all along the way.   It was quite the sight! 

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 06:01:12 PM »
We are hoping to book a dog friendly cabin to go to France and in public areas ie getting to the cabin the dogs have to be muzzled so I was also wondering what muzzle is the softest.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
We are hoping to book a dog friendly cabin to go to France and in public areas ie getting to the cabin the dogs have to be muzzled so I was also wondering what muzzle is the softest.

Doesn't sound very dog friendly in my opinion !

Thankfully I love The West Country and Norfolk, VERY dog friendly  :D