Author Topic: New to grooming - puppy  (Read 1613 times)

Offline bmthmark

New to grooming - puppy
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »
My puppy is coming to an age where he will need his first cut.

Do you think this is something a complete newbie could do if I were to buy some clippers?

Is there any step by step beginners guide that anyone can recommend?

I have been trying to prepare him for the cut by putting clippers near him since an early age and making them buzz around him. Not sure if it will help or not.

Or would you recommend just take him to a professional place?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: New to grooming - puppy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 11:14:30 AM »
How old is he? Henry didn't get clipped at all until he was nearly one (and only then because he couldn't cope with the heat in the summer). Before that, the groomers just trimmed him with scissors.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 12:20:49 PM »
How old is he? Henry didn't get clipped at all until he was nearly one (and only then because he couldn't cope with the heat in the summer). Before that, the groomers just trimmed him with scissors.

He is nearly 6 months old

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:15:37 PM »
Probably still a lot of puppy coat. I'd hold off on the clippers for now. You don't know how his adult coat is going to come in and clipping does spoil the natural lie of the coat. You may end up clipping later as a choice, but don't start until you're sure you want to go that route.

We took Henry for puppy grooming just with scissors at our groomers from about 2 or 3 months old. He gets a mixture of clipping and scissor trimming now as he can't be hand stripped due to coat changes since he was neutered.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
Probably still a lot of puppy coat. I'd hold off on the clippers for now. You don't know how his adult coat is going to come in and clipping does spoil the natural lie of the coat. You may end up clipping later as a choice, but don't start until you're sure you want to go that route.

We took Henry for puppy grooming just with scissors at our groomers from about 2 or 3 months old. He gets a mixture of clipping and scissor trimming now as he can't be hand stripped due to coat changes since he was neutered.

Thanks for the info. You are right he still has his puppy fluffy coat - I will hold off until his adult coat comes through.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 06:56:53 PM »
Agree with LG. A spratts comb with an elastic bad threaded through will get on top of a lot of the loose puppy hair and keep him looking a bit tidier until the adult coat starts to develop.