Author Topic: Dream Howler  (Read 978 times)

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Dream Howler
« on: April 12, 2017, 07:40:44 PM »
All my dogs have wiffled  and twitched and yipped  in their sleep, but never had one that howled, til Dylan came. He sleeps in the bedroom, and a couple of times a month he lets,out a long loud mournful howl. Last night he he did four consecutive howls, still in his sleep, it doesn't wake him up. Very loud, very eerie, very wolflike, sounds so very sad, but he is the happiest dog in the world.

Does anyone else's dog do this?

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline lescef

Re: Dream Howler
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »
Yes, Maddie does it very occasionally.  I used to think it was linked to a noise on the TV, but she has also done it when the TV is off too. The first time was a bit scary. Never had a dog do it before.   :005:
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline julesph

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:53:10 PM »
Yes - one of our Springies used to do this and it was really spine tingling. The first time was really scary but then we just got used to it. He sounded so sad though.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 08:35:09 PM »
Laurië does this too! It sounds completely different from when she howls when awake (she will howl if my phone keeps ringing, she is not upset). It is such a sad and hollow and terrifying sound to wake up to. I have to wake her up and hug her when it happens, not sure if I'm comforting her or myself  :005: Probably myself, she usually looks a little confused but then pleased to be getting cuddles.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:40:59 PM »
Would be very interested to know if the full moon has any effect? Might be an idea to make note of when they do it!  :-\

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »
Would be very interested to know if the full moon has any effect? Might be an idea to make note of when they do it!  :-\

Perhaps Dylan is a werewolf in disguise  :lol2:.
Yes, it is different from a normal,howl now you mention it. We have blackout blinds in the bedroom, it is pitch dark, so when he does it it is really eerie!

Lesley and Dylan

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 07:23:05 AM »

Perhaps Dylan is a werewolf in disguise  :lol2:.
Yes, it is different from a normal,howl now you mention it. We have blackout blinds in the bedroom, it is pitch dark, so when he does it it is really eerie!

Lesley and Dylan

Maybe you need to start hanging garlic up at the window!!!   :005: - joking aside though, I'm a firm believer that the moon, whether you can see it or not, effects us, my oldest son used to sleep walk, wet the bed and generally sleep very badly at full moon when he was little and I know a couple of people who have quite serious mood swings.
I can imagine the howling must be a bit spine chilling though  :005:

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
A few years ago we went to a wolf sanctuary near Clun. It was a gloomy winter afternoon, surrounded by dark forest, and the guy got the wolves around us to howl. It was one of the most spine tingling moments of my life, I'll never forget that wonderful sound.

Lesley and Dylan

Offline Barry H

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »
Yes, and Jack wakes me up the little tyke.  He's done it from about a year old (now 2).  I agree it sounds like the most mournful wolf-like howl with random pauses in between.  The first time I heard him was about 3am - a definite brown trouser moment and I dived out of bed to find out what the problem was.  There wasn't one.  So, nowadays, I just turn over when he's done!  Must make a note of the moon phase next time.   It's usually in the middle of the night, but it's entirely unpredictable.  I often wonder whether the neighbours hear it and scares the living daylights out of them...

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »
Archie does it occasionally. He sometimes wakes himself up and looks utterly confused by the noise!  :005: He did it once in the middle of the night and I put my hand on him for reassurance (yes, he sleeps on my bed  :shades:) but he snapped really viciously at me. I posted in here about it at the time. It was a clearly a shock for both of us as he looked utterly confused and not really awake. Whenever he does it now I keep my distance!

Offline Darwin

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 06:59:09 AM »
Really think calling it Dream Howling is the understatement of the year.! It seemed to be a strange side effect of Darwin's spinal opp. For 9 months it would be at least 3 nights a weeks, always around 2.30am It's zombie wolf howling straight out of Stephen King film!  One of us would always rush down stairs to check on him and he would be fast asleep. In the last 6 months he's been on daily Metacam and we've only had one night howling espioside

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 08:52:28 AM »
 It's zombie wolf howling straight out of Stephen King film!

That describes it exactly! Definitely different from normal 'you've left me alone' howling'

Lesley and Dylan