Author Topic: Sock fetish???  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Buck

Sock fetish???
« on: April 18, 2017, 01:36:14 AM »
Hi, I've noticed what i can only describe as weired behaviour and i hope someone can shed some light on what goes on between Charlie's floppy ears.
Firstly he goes mad for my socks regardless how clean or smelly.
I tried to hide a pair by tucking them into my trainers and putting them on the shoe rack, then i saw him go to get them so told him "no" at that he sat staring at the trainers and cocking his head as if in deep thought, then started pawing the air untill he accidentally (yeah right) knocked off a trainer and grabbed the sock.
In the kitchen he's learned to walk on two legs so as much as i tell him to get down or push him down he just shuffles on two legs from one unit to another.
I'm his main carer and feed him, walk him and am with him all the time yet he shows me no affection really other than excited when i get home however it's me he pesters/nudges to play with his toys always tug of war, the rest of the time he'll go lay next to me but if i stroke him he moves away looking annoyed.  Yet he goes mad and gets over excited with other people like he prefers them.
Lastly when out if it's safe to be let off the lead he runs like a lunatic and charges at me growling and jumping up at me and biting my hand or grabbing his lead. He's like a lunatic.
Sometimes when we get home he does what i call the wall of death where he charges round the room from one sofa to another and in/out of the room growling to himself again over excited i think.
His fur is all silky and smooth/fluffy so trying to grab him is like trying to wrestle a high speed trout! He just slips through your arms.

Is this normal puppy behaviour or has he a screw loose?
He gets walked 3-4 times a day.

None of this is a problem i just wonder what goes on in his head?

Thanks, hope this post makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Sock fetish???
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:00:01 AM »
 :005: :005: welcome to cocker world!!! He sounds like he's read the books and making sure he gets all the typical cocker behaviour right and doesn't miss anything out!!!!
Socks are what cocker love most - you can buy brand new ones and leave them in the bag, they still know what they are and you can spot a cocker owner a mile off as chances are they'll either have odd, holey or no socks at all!!  :lol2:  Humphrey also likes underwear (but we won't talk about that'  ;)) and adores paper and cardboard boxes!!
Wall of death is also known as the Zoomies, lots of dogs do it but cockers are experts as the ears seem to add to the aero dynamics, so the fly faster!
I've noticed Humphrey's behaviour gets wilder if he's over tired though, it could be that Charlie is getting a bit too much exercise, - they do need an awful lot of sleep but I think we've all fallen into the trap of thinking that tiring them out will ensure they settle down at home better, it doesn't always work like that though. You could try giving him a little less physical exercise and give him a bit of mental stimulation instead - sniffing for hidden treats, that sort of thing. Humphrey's more whacked after a session of hide and seek than an hour's walk.  :D

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:58:47 AM »
All entirely normal!

If he's got the zoomies, best thing is to stand back and let him at it. Trying to catch him is just impossible!

Henry wasn't particularly cuddly with me at 10 months, although strangers would be greeted like long lost lovers. He's 18 months now and regularly plumps himself into my lap or leans on me for a cuddle.

3-4 walks seems like a lot. Like bizzylizzy said, it can be counterproductive and make them overstimulated. Maybe replace one or two of those walks with training sessions - especially ones that help him learn calmer behaviours.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:12:56 AM »
All perfectly normal for a Cocker! 
Blue's 'thing' is velcro, he loves it.  He loves the noise it makes when it's undone, he loves the texture of it when he chews it.  He can sniff out anything with velcro closures, there is no hiding place for velcro in our house!  :005:
He also likes to get the insoles out of your shoes and eat them.  He's not bothered with the shoes, just the loose inner soles, and when he gets one, he trots round the house with it for a 'victory lap', looking enormously proud of himself.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »
I can relate to all the behaviour you mention, I think that it is all pretty normal.
But as BizzyLizzy says, maybe your pup is over tired and over stimulated. 3 - 4 walks a day does seem like a lot for a pup (not sure about the age) as 5 minutes per month of age a couple of times a day is the normal recommendation.

Offline Buck

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:46:46 AM »
Thank you for your replies, i feel a lot better now.
I live near a main road so can't open a door so he can nip out for a wee wee so i have to pop his lead on and go for a walk. Usually just untill he's done his toilet and then back home.
That said if i take him at 7am, again at 1pm again after dinner at 6 ish that's 3 walks and i wouldn't expect him to hold his wee for 13 hours till the next morning walk at 7am.
 I make one of his walks longer to exercise him and let him play and run but the other walks are just toilet trips.
Thanks for your replies it's all good to know for Charlie to.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
I love reading posts like this one! I've had a cocker for so long that this is all normal behaviour to me. It's fun reading about it from other peoples perspective. Welcome to the wonderful world of crazy cockers  :luv: Others have mentioned that zoomies can be triggered by the puppy getting too much stimulation so that's good to be mindful of, but some zoomies are unavoidable in cockers, they just bubble over sometimes  :005:

I have a 10 year old cocker that will not go to sleep without a sock in her bed, preferably a used one, they all seem to love socks for no apparent reason.

My cocker loves being petted and cuddled. But I lived with a dog that did not like it. He wanted to sleep next to us, but would walk away if we petted him, just like your guy. It was just his preference to be close but not touching. I have noticed that my girl dances more for visitors than she does for me. But I think that's got to do with being comfortable with me. Like she has to really show other people she appreciates them, but me and her have a bond where she doesn't need to make a show of every welcome. I mean, she'll be waggy and wriggly and sneezy and happy. But when others come she'll sing and dance like she's in a play so she is calmer with me  :021:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »
Thanks for clarifying about the walks, that makes a lot of sense.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »
SOCKS ......another sockey monster here............he even sneaks into hubby overnight bag when packing and steals his socks, firstly his next stop is on or bed with socks in his mouth.

Ever seen a cocker make a choice between socks and his dinner.....well Oliver has been known to have a think about it  :005:

After nine years his love of socks has not diminished and I think if it did I would be seriously worried, Ollie without socks would be worrying :luv:

Crazy and cockers goes together....along with more love and loyalty than one can ever imagine
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »
I think this breed should be renamed SOCKER spaniels  :005: Dylan loves em, and knickers and tea towels  :005: my theory is that the soft materials are like a small game bird in their mouths, what after all they were bred for.

Dylan also loved to,say hallo to everybody, it is his mission to speak to everyone in the world, and as a puppy he would jump up and follow them and ignore us. Now he is coming up for two he is much calmer i. This respect, and though still very friendly he sticks with us. Your pup is exploring the world and the beings in it and it takes a while for the special bond to develop between you both. With training making bonds, and play, he will grow to be your own very special companion and the focus of his world. Enjoy your pup!

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline AlanT

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 05:51:43 PM »
Don't worry about not getting any affection.

We have a dog share, my son and wife, me and my wife.  I did most of the early care and training and have spent more time with him than the other three.

He is besottedly in love with my wife. Will snuggle to her, guard her, follow her all the time.

He will work for me, retrieves, ball games, tracking.

This is just a dog having different relationships with the rest of his pack and is probably exactly right for them.

The zoomies will wear off with age.

I'd find old socks that can become his.  My dog knows the difference between his ball and the babies ball. He's pretty good about these distinctions.

Offline ips

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »
Agree with Allan, zoomies will wear off as dog gets older. As for relationship again I agree although ours seems to decide her affection some days me some days Lynn but generally speaking she seems to prefer that all three of us are together at the same time so the sofa is generally a squash with little miss pushy breeches in the middle 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
"zoomies will wear off as dog gets older "

- wouldn't bet on it!  ;) :005: :005:

Offline ips

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 07:09:05 PM »
"zoomies will wear off as dog gets older "

- wouldn't bet on it!  ;) :005: :005:

I was trying to offer some hope 😁👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
Love it when the zoomies kick in  :D and sock stealing seems to be in their genes! Charlie sounds like a proper cocker in the making, just go with the 'adventure' and have fun!