Author Topic: Pancreatic food opinion.  (Read 2360 times)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Pancreatic food opinion.
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
Hi all,

Yet another food and pancreatitis query I'm afraid.

This time I would like your opinion on the % of fat etc that is ideal for a pancreatic diet, I've read on AllAboutDogFood that the ideal is ,

Low in fat (between 5% and 10% dry matter)
Moderate protein (between 20% and 30% dry matter)
Not too starchy (avoid foods with large amounts of starchy ingredients like maize, white potato, white rice, tapioca, pea starch etc)
No added sugars

The vet as usual has suggested Chappie which I work out as 8.7% fat in dry matter and very poor ingredients , I want Bea to be on a better quality food.

For all of you that have gone through this , what is your opinion on the % of fat etc

Thank you,

Sharon & Bea

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: Pancreatic food opinion.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
I cannot comment of the percentages etc but I found chappie really good and used it for a few months after Freds last flare up to let his system have time to settle and then we went onto Autarky dried food.
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:02:21 PM »
What about the Naturediet Sensitive food, low in fat, but not sure about all the specific ingredients.

Offline its.sme

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:53:40 PM »
Thanks both for your suggestions , as we all know there are so many different foods to choose from.

I'm trying to look into the % etc, that way I hope to be able to see what is best for Bea and I thought this might also help others to choose an appropriate food based on these figures ( if the consensus is a positive one )

Sharon

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »
When my previous cocker had chronic pancreatitis I was told the fat content needed to be under 4% as listed on the label.  The allaboutdogfood information you have in your post sounds overly complicated to me.  :dunno:
I've mentioned this before but I had real trouble getting him to be flare-up free. It was a constant battle and he was never really 100% until the vet suggested Royal Canin Gastro-intestinal low fat kibble mixed with (you guessed it) Chappie. I know, it doesn't rate highly on the allabout website and it contains all sorts of things that are meant to be bad but all I can say is he was a different dog on it. He went back to the dog I had before he bacame ill. He was previously raw-fed.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
My 5 year old wcs had pancreatitis at 9 months old. The vet tried to get me to buy the hills prescription diet but it was so expensive and processed I wanted to look fir something else. She had tinned Chappie for a while but again I wanted a less processed food. I have fed her Millieswolfheart Tracker mix now for a good few years, it is 8.6% fat. She hasn't had any further episodes. All her treats are low fat as well. The only thing I would say is that she is a very lean dog now, bordering on skinny, but if I give her more food she gets runny poos, so it's a fine balance to get it right.

Offline its.sme

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Millieswolfhart Tracker mix is top of my list at the moment especially as it has no white potato content, the Dry Matter Fat content is also lower than Chappie.

It makes sense in my opinion to compare like for like, so calculating the Dry Matter contents puts wet and dry food on an even keel, you can then see the actual Fat content and make a better informed choice, which at the end of the day is the best that we can do :D