Author Topic: AVA from pets at home  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Buck

AVA from pets at home
« on: April 19, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »
Hi just wanted your views on the above kibble from pets at home, i believe it's one of there own brand.
Charlie eats it but i wouldn't say he relishes it, and always wants what we have.
When we first got Charlie he had very bad worms and had diorreha, food went in one end and straight out the other. He had to have antibiotics twice and medicine and we were told by the vet to feed him plain chicken fillets (boiled) and rice which we did for months.
That's quite expensive and we slowly integrated kibble into his diet but with him seemingly having a sensitive belly we went for that one as it seemed safer.
Just wonder if there's a better diet for them. Charlie is 10 months old and at the last visit to the vets weighed 12.8kg despite looking thin/lean. Tho he is extremely strong for a little dog.
Thanks.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: AVA from pets at home
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
Each dog is different, so there will be a bit of trial and error.  Daisy is a rescue and was very stressed when she came to us, and had a runny tummy fairly often.  Lily's Kitchen suits her best, however, previously I have had good results with Naturediet, and I believe they now do a kibble as well as wet food.  Also used Burns for my boys and ex-breeder, they all thrived on that.  Burns and Lily's will send you samples if you don't want to invest in a big bag of food straight away.  Can't comment on AVA, I have never noticed that one before.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:48:49 PM »
I've got a bag of AVA at the moment, just to add an alternative for when they stay at someone else's place and my homemade mix runs out. I won't buy another bag b cause it is bulked out with beet fibre which makes for big poos.!
I prefer Millies Wolfheart, and Guru.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Buck

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:26:01 PM »
I have to say his poops are normal size and solid enough which is great after the terrible start he had. His coat is really shiny and silky and we always get comments about it while walking but i also give him cod liver oil now n then and brush him at every opportunity as i enjoy doing it. He's not so keen lol.
The AVA seemed good when i read it and was reasonably priced when compared to other recommend brands and being gluton free and hypo allergenic etc, i felt it a safe option with him having jelly belly.
It's plain to see everyone here loves there dogs so i wanted your views on it, or advice on what to try.
Thanks Rob & Charlie

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
if it works for you, then no problem!   
After months of chicken and rice , plus your extras, he needs good nutrition.  I would only have fed that for a week or so. It doesn't give them enough vitamins and minerals.  Some dogs can't even tolerate it.  I'm glad he's better.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Buck

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 11:02:11 PM »
Agreed that's why we had to mix his kibble (AVA) into it, i say slowly cause he was great at getting the chicken but managed to spit the rice and kibble back out. The diorreha went on for quite a while and so we had to stick to rice/chicken and kibble for longer than we'd of liked.
He is better now though and super strong and full of energy. 😀