Author Topic: diabetes in cockers  (Read 2311 times)

Offline hblower

• Site Member
diabetes in cockers
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »
Orin has been to the vets this morning and has been diagnosed with diabetes.  I have to go back this afternoon for a longer appointment.  At the moment they have a urine test and have taken bloods.  Can anyone with any knowledge of this please give me as much info as poss tips, advice, can he eat normal dog food or will it be prescription?  what do you do with regards to going on holiday etc and leaving him with a dog sitter?  can he still go for walks?

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: diabetes in cockers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
What a worry, hopefully someone will be along with advice.  :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline sue15

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »
My 12 year old developed diabetes last year. Sadly it affected his liver in the end and he went down hill suddenly and I had to have him put to sleep in September :'( He had to have injections twice a day which was a problem because he had to be fed beforehand but I worked out a 12 hour timetable. I fed him his ordinary food because he wasn't overweight but you can get diabetic food but check with your vet. Holidays were a problem not that I wanted to leave him but on the odd occasion my normal kennels wouldn't have him because of the responsibility of injecting him, so I had to 'shop around' for a willing kennel, which I found thankfully. Injecting him wasn't a problem once he got used to it. Walking wasn't easy because of the timing when his blood sugar levels affected his stamina, but we worked it out. Hope this was useful.

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »
At the moment orin is on 6 units twice day and his normal food twice day. No food. He is having 75 grams complete food twice day and 50grams fresh mince or fish in water to help him eat his biscuits. He is doing really well eating as he been really finicky eater normally but with. I tit bits I think he is hungry and he loves it. He has just finished 10 days antibiotics for urine infection and having taken sample back to vets today at moment they said no white blood cells so fingers crossed good. After a week on insulin- caninsulin 40unit dose he has gained 0.3kg given he was underweight they were happy with as it normally indicates that he is almost at right insulin dose when gain weight. He did however have sugar in his wee hence they keeping us on 6 units for this week too to see how we do and we have Bauer fia sticks to use too to check his wee and make glucose curves. Hqe need to hear in mind this is urine glucose not blood glucose those which urine glucose is delayed and us also not accurate but gives us something. He has def improved his weeing and drinking and is more alert generally and he seems happier.

Offline sue15

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 06:52:07 PM »
That sounds good. How old is Orin ?

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 08:53:42 PM »
Orin is 10 and half. 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 01:35:01 AM »
I only have experience re my cat and he was allowed his normal food but I had to do injections twice a day - the injections are easy too and not to worry about. My vet showed me by practising on my cat with syringes filled with water (which is why you have a longer appointment) and the needles are so fine they don't feel it.

My vet did say though to ensure you don't put insulin in the fridge door as it keeps knocking it when you open door all the time (you never shake the bottle anyway when you use it as you have to slowly roll it in your hands to mix it gently)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!