Author Topic: So what is Charlie??  (Read 8846 times)

Offline Buck

Re: So what is Charlie??
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »
Novice here but I would say he's a show after comparing him to my worker.
Milo has very short hair but then he's getting a bit fluffier now but still only 6 months.
Here's a pic so you can see

Not great pics but hope that helps a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milo's coat and the fur pattern on his back look very similar to Charlie's.
Milo also looks gorgeous and shiny black.
Thank you for sharing.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »

Hope this helps - this is my old boy Ollie he has Field champions & show champions in his five generation pedigree.

I'd say yours is like my boy a mix of the two :)

"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »

Milo's coat and the fur pattern on his back look very similar to Charlie's.
Milo also looks gorgeous and shiny black.
Thank you for sharing.
[/quote]

Yeah I think Charlie's got a bit of both maybe, like you said fur pattern is similar. Milos got a longer strip of hair all down his back, which he puffs up when he's over excited and trying to play roughly.
Charlie is just gorgeous.

Offline Buck

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 03:01:42 AM »
Does Milo stand on his ears and trip over his face when sniffing about?

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 08:13:17 AM »

Bea dose this, I think it's a usual spaniel thing,  :005: :005:

I've checked Bea's pedigree on My KC and her line was started with a worker 40 years ago and then all Show.

Cockers are beautiful and a lot of fun wether they are a Show or Worker, In my opinion it helps to know the background as this can help with training etc but we love them and that's whats important   :luv:

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »
Not noticed him doing that, his ears are high up and not long enough I don't think.

Offline Buck

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »
As mentioned earlier I didn't get any paperwork or history information, sad really as I'd love to know.
I think as most people have said he's a mix of both.
Looking at pictures he seems to have a head like a show dog and a slender athletic build more like a working dog.
He seems to require a lot of excercise or he won't touch his food.
He also wants to investigate all bushes and shrubbery like it's in his nature. I was brought up with dogs since 1977 (age 7) but never had a cocker spaniel before.
Times and people's opinions/understanding of there needs has changed and back then there was no intereweb.
While out with Charlie we always bump into other people with cocker spaniels but tbh they always seem much stockier than Charlie but i don't know if that's cause there show type or older or just have more fur, that's why i asked 'what is Charlie'
I don't like the thought that he's thin, or lacking in someway as i try to do my best to meet all his needs so am reading all the older post on here regarding diet etc. Sorry for posting so much but it all makes me a little anxious and i have millions of questions after his poor start and 10 months not knowing about this site. (sorry)
I do have a bad habit of huminisizing our dogs which i know can be bad.
If there's any key points i should know​ please point them out!
Typically Charlie would be the one to tread on his ears, maybe it's just the fur he catches as i brush him a lot.
Great pics of Milo btw he seems to be similar build to Charlie to.
Awesome pics of Ollie to who seems to be much more stocky. Is it an age thing or diet or different for each?
Kind regards

Rob.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 12:39:23 PM »
Henry is a show-type cocker but also quite tall, long and lean. We have his dad's pedigree and there's no worker in there, but he is also tall and lean. People are always commenting to us how lanky he is, and how his face is much longer than the more usually rectangular cocker snout. They really do come in all shapes and sizes. But Henry's coat was thicker and fluffier at this age than Charlie's appears here so yes, he may have some worker in him.

With regards weight, Charlie looks great to me. A well defined waist is a good thing. And the condition of his coat suggests to me he's in great health.

All cockers love to work their noses, be they show-type or workers. Once you realise that (and I have to thank this forum for really educating me on this) you can tailor his 'walks' so he gets lots of sniffing and snuffling done. It really works their brains as they map the world while they sniff - their noses are connected to their brains much more directly than ours! Even if I'm just taking Henry for a walk around the block, I always make sure to keep him on my inside so he can get his nose stuck into fences, hedges, the bottoms of walls... he loves it. The walking isn't really the point, it's the opportunity for him to get lots of stimulation.

Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
This isn't a good photo of Blue, it's one taken by his groomer on her phone just after his first haircut (which is why his tail has disappeared between his legs!) but it is a good one to show his shape, which is short, and he stands 'square' to the ground.  He has a very abundant coat, from generations of show strain pedigree.  The vet always moans that he can't feel the ribs, but I don't consider him to be overweight.
Blue at the groomers, after his first haircut. by Fiona, on Flickr

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »
Buck, never be afraid to ask questions on here, without it the site would disappear and that would be a shame.

I to worry about my girl and I've had her from 8 weeks, the most important thing is that you want to do the best for Charlie.

I have to admit that sometimes I have worried so much about Bea that I have forgotten to enjoy her, so I now no longer allow myself to do that, especially as Cockers are so much fun  :luv: :luv: :D

Spaniels come in so many different shapes and sizes, I've met two very healthy Springers one of which where thin, but this is the way they where and the owner just couldn't put weight on them, I believe that Cockers are the same .

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 10:33:04 PM »
Handsome boy :luv:

I think he's a bit of both. His head, ear set and overall shape look more show than worker to me. But if he was 100% show he would have a lot more coat.

Not necc given his colour. ;) His ear set looks quite high to me, but I'd say he's a mix too. He's a lovely boy whatever. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline LisaL

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
whatever he is, hes  :luv: Im jealous of his smooth silky coat. im beginning to wonder if Diesel is a bit of both as he has a more of a domed head and a LOT of crazy hair :005:

Offline bessymate4eva

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
He looks a lot like my chester hes gorgeous. Reading your comments it sounds very similar situation to what we went through with chester. We got chester at 91/2 weeks from a young couple who couldnt cope with him. He did come with a piece of paper with names on but we think it was made up as none of the names matched the kennel club names and we didnt know his parents so had no clue what strain he was. He was also very poorly with bloody diarrhea and we thought we were going to lose him. Turned out he had e coli. Sorry im rambling a bit  :005:. It looks as though charlie is half show half worker to me. We were told chester was half and half. These are a few pictures of chester.

[/URL]
 This is him now at 5  :lol:

[/URL] 

The last two are older photos  :D