Author Topic: Teenager?????  (Read 729 times)

Offline Oreilla

Teenager?????
« on: April 23, 2017, 02:47:16 PM »
Just looking for a little bit of reassurance....Hamish is just coming up to 11 months and was castrated 13 days ago and everything went fine and seems fully recovered. Over the last few weeks he has started to be a bit cheekier and has started being quite mouthy again which he hasn't been since he was a little puppy. This morning he nipped my daughter as she was trying to get him down off the sofa, not aggressively though, which is something she has done hundreds of times before as he always trys his luck in the mornings jumping up on the sofa even though he knows he's not allowed!! It was'nt bad just a wee scratch but again something he hasnt done since he was really little. He has also started barking more at things in the garden, people walking past etc. Is this all just normal teenage behaviour and that he is just testing boundaries so we just need to be firm with him?? Thanks in advance. x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Teenager?????
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 03:07:48 PM »
Sounds like he is pushing the boundaries. 

Back to basics for him and make sure you avoid direct confrontation eg lure him off the sofa with a toy or treat rather than pulling him - or put a long line on him in the house so you can guide him off with that without having to grab him.   If he is more gobby and cheeky than before, then ignore him until he calms down.

Oh, and stock up on wine  :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »
That absolutely sounds like Henry at that age. He started mouthing again for attention and nipping my ankles if I wasn't paying him attention. And it was at this age that he started barking at things that hadn't bothered him before.

It does pass, but it's worth nipping in the bud behaviours you don't want. If Henry was being attention seeking in an annoying way, I'd ignore him, and then try to remember to give him positive reinforcement for the behaviour I did want. So if he asked nicely to play, I'd play, if he barked or nipped I'd ignore him. If he asked nicely at a moment where I couldn't play, and then went to lie down instead of barking at me, I'd drop a treat at his paws where he was lying. The sort of thing. Catching and reinforcing the good behaviours now is a great way of laying down the foundations for a 'good' dog when this phase passes!

We also made sure we dealt with barking as soon as it started at this age - we'd try to catch him after one or two barks with a click and treat for stopping and paying attention to us. Doing this consistently means he mostly only barks once at things like the postman, people passing, etc. There are other things where we can't stop him barking like a lunatic - such as when the cheeky young foxes parade around in his garden! - but we don't have a problem with him generally barking at everything, and I think that's because we intervened positively early on.

It's very trying age, but it does pass!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »
I'm just in the middle of reading 'The culture clash" by Jean Donaldson, (very interesting!) - this exact subject was covered by her and she recommends what Joules has just said, i.e. luring him "on" and then "off" the sofa, each time with a command and then reward. He should then learn he can only go up if you invite him but will also learn to get down on command. She suggests practising two or three times a day for a few minutes each time.
I can also recommend  the book, it does highlight how a dog's mind works and how illogical a lot of our human reactions and training methods are and how they actually give rise to a lot of the problems we have later. I  really wished I'd read  it earlier!
Hamish does sound normal for his age, but he will calm down (or so I'm told!  :005:)

Offline feelreid

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
I found that my castrated male was similar at that age but only with my son who was 11, it was almost like he knew we were to be obeyed bit he seen our son as more of a sibling so would challenge his authority more.  Our son spent some time 'being in charge' during training sessions and no more probs 😊

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
I found that my castrated male was similar at that age but only with my son who was 11, it was almost like he knew we were to be obeyed bit he seen our son as more of a sibling so would challenge his authority more.  Our son spent some time 'being in charge' during training sessions and no more probs 😊

This is a good point actually: when there are several people in the house the pup can identify one and choose to play up more with them.  >:(  Maybe getting your daughter to be the one who feeds him and involve her more in his training - sort out some special games/training they can do together - might help with this  ;)
Julie and Watson