Author Topic: Constantly nagging our older lab to play  (Read 520 times)

Offline Jenny veale

Constantly nagging our older lab to play
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
We have a 12 week old cocker who is full of beans and a 2 1/2 year old lab who has decided it's time to grow up.  The problem is all the puppy wants to do is play rough and tumble.  The lab has had her pinned down ( under the labs neck) and growls etc but she still goes back for more.  If the lab has a toy pup will straddle her back to try and get it.  She nips her ears and neck constantly.  they play tug of war too and chase and will sit together and chew on something they found, but the play fighting is worrying me.  Hubby says it's OK as both are waggly tailed etc but I'm terrified the big girl won't know her own strength or weight and do the baby some harm.  I'm also afraid that one day the lab Will decide she's had enough.  I give them both plenty of separate play time but should I avoid most joint time altogether until she's a bit older?

Does anyone have experience of this please?

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: Constantly nagging our older lab to play
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »
The lab will teach the pup when enough is enough, the play fighting is normal even though it can sound and look scary. If you think the older dog has had enough separate them for a while but don't over do it you want them to grow together. If the fighting is getting a bit over the top better to stop the play fighting with a use of distraction treats combined with a bit of sit/stay training
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Constantly nagging our older lab to play
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »
When Toby was a small puppy he used to get a bit OTT with my 3 year old and hang on his ears and generally be a nuisance. Minstrel  would never retaliate even when it got rough (Branston on the other hand would soon put the pup in line - he would take no nonsense from the upstart  ;) ) I used to put Toby in his pen to calm down if it got too out of hand and he would often just fall asleep and peace would prevail once more.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.