Author Topic: When to stop crating?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline barney165

When to stop crating?
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »
Hi

Barney is almost 7 months now. We are wondering when might be a good time to start leaving his crate open at night time.

When did your cockers grow out of their crates? I'd be quite happy to keep going with it a while longer as it can be so practical.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ips

Re: When to stop crating?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:02:17 PM »
Eze at nearly three is still in a crate at night and for approx two hrs in the morning because she cant be trusted not to eat whatever is available.
Sorry if that's not what you want to hear 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »
It really depends on the dog, and if you need to get rid of the crate. We have room to keep Henry's crate indefinitely and he loves it. Asks to be put to bed at night and doesn't settle until the door is locked.

At 7 months i think you'd still need some puppy-proofing unless your pup really isn't destructive. We had an unexpected secondary chewing phase at about 10 months, when Henry did a lot more damage with his adult teeth than he did with his baby ones. Regulars here know I still get emotional if anyone mentions favourite sandals...
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 10:35:22 PM »
What's this about sandal's

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:17:20 PM »
Don't... I can't... It's too soon. 😢😢😢
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:54:09 AM »

:005: :005:  I was just thinking about "the sandals" the other day. Poor Henry, it'll follow him for the rest of his life!!

As for the crate - I agree, if you have the space,  its not in the way and Barney's happy with it, its a useful thing to keep them used to; it makes life easier in the future if, when for whatever reason,  they have to be confined for a while. Its easier to continue a habit than break it and try and return it, so as long as Barney's happy it with, I'd leave it as it is.  :D

Offline LisaL

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »
today I've left Diesel in the house uncrated alone...for the first time. usually he's kennelled in the morning but its so cold and snowy I felt bad (i'm getting soft as my lab would have just been chucked outside). Hes never shown any signs of chewing anything so i'm hoping I go home at lunchtime and the house is in one piece. He's also crated at night and takes himself to bed through the day in it so I intend on leaving it where it is :)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »
today I've left Diesel in the house uncrated alone...for the first time. usually he's kennelled in the morning but its so cold and snowy I felt bad (i'm getting soft as my lab would have just been chucked outside). Hes never shown any signs of chewing anything so i'm hoping I go home at lunchtime and the house is in one piece. He's also crated at night and takes himself to bed through the day in it so I intend on leaving it where it is :)

best of luck! Let us know what happens when you get home........ :lol2:

Offline barney165

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
Yes do! Thank you for the tips everyone.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 11:00:41 AM »

We're all here for you Hun. You know....when you're ready..... 😢😘

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »

House will be like a tornado has passed through........would if it was mine I suspect 😁

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »

House will be like a tornado has passed through........would if it was mine I suspect [emoji16]
Ha just like my garden, after hurricane Milo has been out there [emoji12]

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 12:16:55 PM »
Monty is now 14 months old and he still "asks" to go to bed in his crate with the door shut at about 9pm.  He doesn't settle if it's not closed so I'm still doing it for as long as he wants. 

I've left him uncrated with access to downstairs only whilst I go out from around 12 months old and he's been a star - not one thing chewed :angel: (unlike my previous cocker who ate our front door frames  >:D). 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »
Bob refused to go in a crate. We shut him in the utility room behind a baby gate with our other dog. It was ok for a while, then the door frames got eaten.  I let him have the run of the house and he was happy and never chewed again. Claustrophobic?
If a crate works, that's very useful, and goodfor taking on holiday to hotels, family etc. Using it as a den is perfect.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline LisaL

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »

House will be like a tornado has passed through........would if it was mine I suspect [emoji16]
Ha just like my garden, after hurricane Milo has been out there [emoji12]

:005: :005: all was well and the house was in one piece. I'm so proud :angel: He isn't a puppy but he's always been kennelled as far as I know so always a bit worrying the first time you leave them for any length of time where there are chewable items  :luv: