Author Topic: Brain games for Rhodri  (Read 693 times)

Offline Rhodri0311

Brain games for Rhodri
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:49:25 PM »
Just wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions for some new games I can play at home with Rhodri.

As he's restricted to lead walks at the moment, I want to make sure that his mind is kept occupied when he's at home so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Brain games for Rhodri
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:56:35 PM »
If you haven't already, you can teach boundary games. I have a mat or bed in each room where Henry is allowed, and am teaching him to go and stay on each of his separate 'mats' as an individual game (because he doesn't generalise it from room to room). I'm making a game of it, and he gets an extra big reward for coming off the boundary because I've released him, rather than wandering off by himself. So in his head he knows he gets a nice treat for going to his mat, and a super nice treat if he waits for release. And nothing for getting up without being told.

I'm also teaching 'middle' which is a lot of fun, and gives you an extra safety postition for the dog once they've mastered it. Basically shaping him to come around and behind me and through my legs, stopping in a sit between my legs and looking up at me.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:06:06 PM »
Have you done the hiding toys, balls etc already? You can make that a bit more challenging by hiding the object in a shoe or basket  or under a cushion etc.
If you've got any old plastic beakers, you can hide treats under them and let him sniff them out, its pretty easy for them to tip the beaker and get the reward on a carpet but on a tiled floor its a bit harder and needs working out!  ;) You can vary it by not putting treats under all the beakers but just some. You can also line them up, just put a treat under one and then point to it and see if he can make the connection between your indication and tne treat.
A treat wrapped in screwed up paper will keep them busy for a bit, - you can hide several in more paper and put it all into a big cardboard box.
You can also do some indoor exercises, training him to sit on your left, your right or behind by following the treat in your hand. See if you can find some tricks using clickers on the internet - they're usually pretty non energetic things, some useful some are just party tricks but they'll help keep him stimulated.
Hope some of those might help......!! Get well soon Rhodri!  :luv:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
If you haven't already, you can teach boundary games. I have a mat or bed in each room where Henry is allowed, and am teaching him to go and stay on each of his separate 'mats' as an individual game (because he doesn't generalise it from room to room). I'm making a game of it, and he gets an extra big reward for coming off the boundary because I've released him, rather than wandering off by himself. So in his head he knows he gets a nice treat for going to his mat, and a super nice treat if he waits for release. And nothing for getting up without being told.

I'm also teaching 'middle' which is a lot of fun, and gives you an extra safety postition for the dog once they've mastered it. Basically shaping him to come around and behind me and through my legs, stopping in a sit between my legs and looking up at me.

That last exercise is brilliant but unfortunately we haven't managed it yet!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:09:18 PM »
Some great tip here on teaching middle and other focus games:
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/absolutedog/absoluteDogs+FOCUS.pdf
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
Thanks!! Will  have a look!

Offline lescef

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:26 PM »
We've been practicing our scentwork. Use cheddar cheese in very very small cubes, then stick say three pieces around the house - under a chair seat, in a corner or bring in some other objects - boxes, plant pots - anything they can't lick and hurt themselves on. Make sure they don't see you then send them to 'find cheese'. Really gets them working. Repeat a couple of times. If I get the cheese out to cook with now I have a pair of drooling excited doggies!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble