Author Topic: postponing season  (Read 547 times)

Offline ips

postponing season
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »
At nearly three eze has proven to have very reliable seasons (just started today as expected) this unfortunately means that she "should" next start about four weeks before the end of game season which is a real pain as obviously I cannot work her.

I have heard that the vet can prescribe a medication to postpone the start of her season.
Has anyone done this for whatever reason ?
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: postponing season
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 06:54:40 PM »
Nope not heard of that or tried it - but them I have always had my females spayed after two seasons

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »
I've never done it, but I know the vet can help you postpone season, they do it from time to time here because so few bitches are spayed and no-one wants to have the hunting season ruined :) I would set up an appointment to discuss this with your vet. From what I understand one side effect is an increased risk of pyometra since the medicine is basicly hormones. I don't know how significant this increased risk is though. But for bitches that are not going to be bred maybe a spay is a valid alternative? The vet can probably help you evaluate the risks and benefits so you get the best solution for you and Eze :)

Offline ips

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 08:49:35 AM »
Thanks for info. I wonder if one course can put season back lets say two months and stays that way or if its a case of just missing one season. ??
Spaying is indeed an option and probably the best solution but I remain less than happy with the idea

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »
I was wondering the same thing, I have no idea. Let us know if you find out! I understand not loving the idea of surgey, I hesitated too.

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
 I will update as and when I find anything out 👍