Author Topic: Tissue eating  (Read 2106 times)

Offline bmthmark

Tissue eating
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
I'm really struggling with this one and I know its been discussed a lot but i'm hoping you maybe able to offer me some advice.

My puppy is 6 months old and overall a very well behaved pup.

I'm not sure if its a habit but when I take him out he will always manage to find a used tissue and attempt to eat. I say attempt as I am always looking out and I will most of the time get to them before he does.
This morning he managed to get to 2 tissues before me, he then uses his paws to shred the tissue and then swallows as much as possible. This is done at record speed and most of the time its done before I can even attempt to swap with a treat.

I don't know if he thinks its a game and he gets a treat after, I really don't know. I don't like to just grab from his mouth as I don't want him to think I am taking the things he has found (hence the swap).
I've even tried giving him a stick to carry, which he does until he finds a tissue  >:D

At times he has literally swallowed large full tissues, I worry as surely this cannot be good for his insides.

Do you think this is something he will grow out of? he just seems so obsessed with tissues.

I know its a small issue in comparison to some but any help much appreciated.

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Tissue eating
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
Dogs have stronger stomach acid than we do, so I imagine any tissue will dissolve pretty quickly and not cause any blockage.

It is a disgusting habit, though. Henry still picks up tissues when we are out, but now offers them immediately for a swap, whereas when he was little he wouldn't give them up for anything. So there is hope!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »
Eze is same, tissues socks tea towel you leave it out she has it.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »
Dogs have stronger stomach acid than we do, so I imagine any tissue will dissolve pretty quickly and not cause any blockage.

It is a disgusting habit, though. Henry still picks up tissues when we are out, but now offers them immediately for a swap, whereas when he was little he wouldn't give them up for anything. So there is hope!
Thanks let's hope mine does the same

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
Eze is same, tissues socks tea towel you leave it out she has it.

At home we try not to leave anything in his reach that he isn't allowed. I only seem to have issues when we are out, where people have dropped rubbish.
I suppose at least he is helping the environment  :lol2:
The state of some of the tissues does make me wander why he wants it in his mouth  :020:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 06:55:49 PM »
I don't think they're particularly harmful but it is pretty disgusting, Humphrey also finds them delicious!  :020:
Word of warning about encouraging him to carry  sticks though, they can cause nasty injuries e,g. if they're running with them and get  caught. Maybe you could keep  a toy or ball or similar in your pocket instead?

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 08:03:01 PM »
Oops, socks on radiator disaster. Yep she got two, now there are two halves. Mrs ips not impressed by my attempt at domestic god....apparently I should have put them upstairs on daughters radiator...oops
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »
I don't think they're particularly harmful but it is pretty disgusting, Humphrey also finds them delicious!  :020:
Word of warning about encouraging him to carry  sticks though, they can cause nasty injuries e,g. if they're running with them and get  caught. Maybe you could keep  a toy or ball or similar in your pocket instead?

I know what you mean regarding the sticks as he tends to try and turn it around so its literally pointing out of the mouth, which is dangerous if it gets caught in the ground. I just have to make sure its only a small stick.
He has never really been that bothered about toys/balls. He prefers to go for things he isn't allowed  >:D

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »
Oops, socks on radiator disaster. Yep she got two, now there are two halves. Mrs ips not impressed by my attempt at domestic god....apparently I should have put them upstairs on daughters radiator...oops

At least you had a go  :lol2:

I'm amazed how quick this little monsters can grab something and destroy it within seconds  :005:
I normally know my pup is up to no good when he is not following me, I will then find him under the table destroying something he has just found  :D

Offline LisaL

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 03:35:48 PM »
Diesel ate a slug the other day...he thought it was a treat >:(

They are sometimes really disgusting creatures aren't they

My last pup used to eat cigarette butts off the floor...gross!

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »
Diesel ate a slug the other day...he thought it was a treat >:(

They are sometimes really disgusting creatures aren't they

My last pup used to eat cigarette butts off the floor...gross!

Yes very disgusting  :lol2:
Mine also has eaten cigarette butts, but he has stopped with them. He seems to like chewing gum that is stuck to the floor as well, but I get an extra few seconds warning with this as its usually stuck to the ground. His favorite is horse poo  :020:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 05:31:52 PM »
I get REALLY  angry about people dropping cigarette butts everywhere,  they can be gobbled up in seconds and I would imagine they're really not very healthy >:D

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 06:54:25 PM »
I get REALLY  angry about people dropping cigarette butts everywhere,  they can be gobbled up in seconds and I would imagine they're really not very healthy >:D

I should think the filters might cause a blockage but the rest is just paper and dried leaves. I think eating them is a lot healthier then smoking them!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »

I should think the filters might cause a blockage but the rest is just paper and dried leaves. I think eating them is a lot healthier then smoking them!

The filters have filtered a lot of the nasty stuff out of tobacco so they'd be full of nicotine, its my understanding that they're poisonous, but I've no idea how much......

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne