Author Topic: Tissue eating  (Read 2109 times)

Offline bmthmark

Re: Tissue eating
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
I get REALLY  angry about people dropping cigarette butts everywhere,  they can be gobbled up in seconds and I would imagine they're really not very healthy >:D

I should think the filters might cause a blockage but the rest is just paper and dried leaves. I think eating them is a lot healthier then smoking them!

The filters have filtered a lot of the nasty stuff out of tobacco so they'd be full of nicotine, its my understanding that they're poisonous, but I've no idea how much......

I didn't realise they were so bad, perhaps my pup knows they are are bad as he seems to leave these alone.

Last night I started a new training plan, I purposely dropped a tissue at home. He then ran towards it and I told him to 'leave it' lots of times and then finally rewarded him when he left it.
I'm hoping if I keep doing this he may start to leave them when we are out.

These cockers are funny creatures  :lol2:

Fingers crossed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »
That's a good idea. I'm finding the "leave" command is slowly starting to kick in, Humphrey actually dropped a large lump of goat pooh the other day, which was a major breakthrough!!! ..... :005:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Buck

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 01:27:36 AM »
Charlie goes for till receipts that fall out of carrier bags after I've been shopping. He holds them between his front paws and shreds em with his front teeth, luckily he doesn't swallow them but spits out what he tears off.
I think it's the feel of the paper ripping he likes.
As for swallowing stuff he will swallow stuff he finds while out walking unless i can get it off him quick, he's even picked up dog poo before now and tried to eat it. I've shouted NO and opened his mouth and got whatevers in there out.
Being here in Blackpool visitors throw all sorts on the floor so i have to be assertive and make him drop it straight away.

What really annoys me though is other dog owners not picking up their dog dirt especially in the middle of the pavement where kids play. It seems especially bad round my area grrrr

Rob.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 07:15:33 AM »
Charlie goes for till receipts that fall out of carrier bags after I've been shopping. He holds them between his front paws and shreds em with his front teeth, luckily he doesn't swallow them but spits out what he tears off.
I think it's the feel of the paper ripping he likes.
As for swallowing stuff he will swallow stuff he finds while out walking unless i can get it off him quick, he's even picked up dog poo before now and tried to eat it. I've shouted NO and opened his mouth and got whatevers in there out.
Being here in Blackpool visitors throw all sorts on the floor so i have to be assertive and make him drop it straight away.

What really annoys me though is other dog owners not picking up their dog dirt especially in the middle of the pavement where kids play. It seems especially bad round my area grrrr

Rob.

Have you tried training the leave command? Sometimes, taking stuff out of their mouths might really be the only way if they've got something harmful but its better to avoid doing it, if you can, it can cause them to guard it even more or even get defensive and unpleasant. If you can try swapping whatever he has for something else, train leave or drop, that would be a better alternative.  ;)

Offline BentleyT

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
Haha this thread has distracted me from what i came on to look at! Bentley LOVES tissues and can spot them at 100 paces. Despite being the greediest dog in the world (I expect some challenges on that point) swapping tissues (and till receipts, coal, charcoal, twigs...) for treats is not easy. You can see him thinking 'I want this tissue AND that treat - is there a way I can get the treat without releasing my hold on the lovely tissue?' He has consumed quite a lot of the above and I have given up trying to clear everything from his mouth as it can be quite risky after a point! Plus if you need to get your fingers in there then the treat is only going to help him swallow some of it.

Right, off to look up about green eye mucus now :)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
I currently have the cold from hell. Every time I blow my nose Archie comes running to try to get the tissue.  :020: Judging by this thread I'm surprised I haven't got a little queue of cockers outside my door!!

Offline ips

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »
I currently have the cold from hell. Every time I blow my nose Archie comes running to try to get the tissue.  :020: Judging by this thread I'm surprised I haven't got a little queue of cockers outside my door!!

I have same cold had over a week now and I never have a cold for more than two days. Its not so much the tissue thing but the sneezing. She goes absolutely mad if you sneeze, jumping all over you.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »

I have same cold had over a week now and I never have a cold for more than two days. Its not so much the tissue thing but the sneezing. She goes absolutely mad if you sneeze, jumping all over you.

This made me laugh! Reese has to shred any tissue and when he is at my mum's he steals them out of dad's pocket when he thinks he can get away with ig. He also goes made if anyone cough' s or sneeze, we call him nurse
Reese as he has to jump all over you giving you kisses.   :005:

Offline LisaL

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »
Diesel ate a slug the other day...he thought it was a treat >:(

They are sometimes really disgusting creatures aren't they

My last pup used to eat cigarette butts off the floor...gross!

Yes very disgusting  :lol2:
Mine also has eaten cigarette butts, but he has stopped with them. He seems to like chewing gum that is stuck to the floor as well, but I get an extra few seconds warning with this as its usually stuck to the ground. His favorite is horse poo  :020:

Luckily Diesel hasn't realised the yumminess of horse poop yet which is great as I have horses so he'd have easy access :005:

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 03:56:46 PM »

Mine also has eaten cigarette butts, but he has stopped with them. He seems to like chewing gum that is stuck to the floor as well, but I get an extra few seconds warning with this as its usually stuck to the ground. His favorite is horse poo  :020:

Luckily Diesel hasn't realised the yumminess of horse poop yet which is great as I have horses so he'd have easy access :005:

:lol2: you are very lucky
I've seen a few dogs eating horse poop, it was literally a feast for them. I've notice quite a few dog owners leaving the dogs to it, so I suppose it can't be too bad for them.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »

I've seen a few dogs eating horse poop, it was literally a feast for them. I've notice quite a few dog owners leaving the dogs to it, so I suppose it can't be too bad for them.

If the horse has been treated with a wormer then it can be very dangerous for a dog to eat horse poo. I don't let Archie anywhere near it just in case.

https://rogueequine.com/horse-wormer-dangerous-to-pets/

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 04:53:08 PM »

Hmmmmm - not sure, there were warnings circulating here in Germany that horse poo could be dangerous if the horse had been recently wormed, - apparantly some dogs show a reactionto the worming treatment used for horses. No idea if its just panic stirring, I'd imagine the risks aren't that high,  Humphrey's eaten it and it hasn't hurt him, (he's also had goat and cat poo ) but I do at least try and prevent him eating anything left by another animal, I certainly wouldn't just stand by and leave him to it...  :020:.   

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 08:26:30 AM »

Hmmmmm - not sure, there were warnings circulating here in Germany that horse poo could be dangerous if the horse had been recently wormed, - apparantly some dogs show a reactionto the worming treatment used for horses. No idea if its just panic stirring, I'd imagine the risks aren't that high,  Humphrey's eaten it and it hasn't hurt him, (he's also had goat and cat poo ) but I do at least try and prevent him eating anything left by another animal, I certainly wouldn't just stand by and leave him to it...  :020:.   

I don't allow him to eat it, I look like a crazy man chasing him  :005: sometimes I wander if Jett does it for a reaction from me >:(

Offline ips

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 11:05:59 AM »

I don't allow him to eat it, I look like a crazy man chasing him  :005: sometimes I wander if Jett does it for a reaction from me >:(

I think this is the problem, he now considers it to be a game and a jolly hoot. He gets hold of something he isn't allowed and then says "chase me" you chase him probably giving the command "give" or similar, he ignores command as the game is still ongoing thus enforcing the "give" command has no real meaning. You eventually corner him reach for the tissue or sock or whatever and acknowledging the game is over he swallows it....is that anything close to the scenario. ???

I can't stop eze getting hold of stuff but as she likes to retrieve and has been trained to give any item (usually 😁) on the command "dead" in the instance of a stolen item (yesterday it was lynns brand new knickers out of the washing machine) I tell her to "sit hup" and take the item on a "dead" command

I think that anyone with a dog that refuses to give contraband should first teach "hold" and then teach "give". Its a lot easier than running around trying to grab the item before dog eats it in panic 😉
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.