Author Topic: Advice on 2 issues please  (Read 677 times)

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
Advice on 2 issues please
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
Mollie is now 5 1/2 and has always been very lively.  People will often ask how old my puppy is.

2 'issues' - when we are out walking and she meets another dog (she is always on a lead as her recall is zero!) she is always very friendly and so wants to say 'hello' to the other dogs.  She loves other dogs.  When they come up to her they suddenly might start barking at her - it feels to me a bit threatening towards her and makes me feel uneasy as if they could bite her.  Whether I'm reading it wrong or whether she gives out the wrong signals to them I don't know?

Secondly, for a little while now, if you want her to come in the other room for example and she is in her bed, she will start growling - not viciously or showing teeth but it is a 'quiet' growl.  It's as if to say no I'm quite happy here I'm NOT moving.  Why has she suddenly started to do this?  I normally just ignore and keep calling her in a happy voice until she comes along.  Any advice on this?

Any advice on both or either would be great.  Thank you.

Offline lescef

Re: Advice on 2 issues please
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
It's a bit difficult to comment when you can't see her in action. Is she pulling at the end of the lead and jumping all over them? Can you read her body language and that of the other dogs? Are they barking aggressively?  Either way I think I would move her away from a barking dog until you have calm behaviour.

Maddie is a very independent dog and if she doesn't want to join us I tend to leave her. As long as you know she's not unwell I don't think it's anything to worry about. Bramble on the other hand is nearly always behind me.
Some dogs just like their own company!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Barry H

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
I'm continually amazed at the number of bad-mannered  or just 'weird' dogs I meet while out with Jack.  Some are friendly (the friendly ones are usually with older owners I've noticed), but most are a pain in the neck, yapping, snapping and/or lunging.  Jack is OK with it all and like Mollie loves other dogs but now he's a bit older (2 yo) is always a bit wary at first.  Even so, he doesn't seem to be bothered by all the loud-mouthed bullies and takes it all in his stride.  I tend to go out of my way to avoid other dogs unless I know them, otherwise I always ask whether the dog is friendly before they're up close and personal.

I have no advice re your second point other than I reckon she just wants some down time.  We all go through phases and I'm sure dogs are no different.  I wouldn't be too happy if someone tried to drag me out of bed either!  If she wants to stay in bed despite repeated coaxing then fair enough would be my attitude.  I suppose you could always offer a treat as a lure if you're determined to get her to shift? 

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »
Double post - bl**dy internet  :lol2:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:36:34 PM »
re your second point - personally I would just leave her in her bed and leave the door open (if you can) for her to find you when she wants too

In fact if I could go in the other room and Fernie stay in the other room in her bed I would be quite happy, but I have a limpet, I can't get ou the door without her unless I tell her she has to stay  :005: