Author Topic: Wanting a change.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Buck

Wanting a change.
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:08:10 AM »
Hi, as i mentioned in another post Charlie doesn't really wolf down his kibble, in fact recently it's gone un touched and we got out sync with feeding times and walkies etc.

He will always want what we have and any treats but not his dog food/kibble.
I'd like to find something he really enjoys so wondered what you guys fed. I've read that raw foods good but I'm concerned as he has a sensitive tummy.
I'm happy to feed tinned food providing it contains sufficient nutrition for him.

However the important thing is that he eats, so what would you do in my situation.

Regards Buck

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: Wanting a change.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 06:58:48 AM »
Hi

There are different ideas about dog food and when it comes to it it's really about finding the right food to suit your dog. 
There is a site called all about dog food that's good for understanding the ingredients in dog food and how to read dog food labels which can be a mine field!
I do raw feed Reese now but buy complete raw, his favourite is Luna and me, we have just received a batch from Poppy's picnic which he is seeming to enjoy but he won't eat nutriment  (it's more mushy and does contain more blood) I do keep some of his allowance back and feed him a cold pressed dog food called guru for treats etc or in place of raw if I am away. This way of feeding seems to suit Reese best. Healthy, full of energy, glossy coat and firm poos.
 I have tried him on other really good food in the past. So much conflicting information I hedged my bets when he was a pup and fed morning kibble and evening meat from wet food to start with then slowly introduced raw. Kibble he had orijen or millies wolfheart and wet food was millies wolfheart or Lily's kitchen.  He would eat them all no bother and he still was health full of life and glossy coat but he did have more frequent and soft poo.
We can tell you what we feed but what suits one may not another, I would try to understand labels buy some samples  see if your dog likes the food and if it suits him.

Tracy & Reese

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
Agree with above post, they are all different. I feed raw and DIY it - very easy once you get in to it but it does need a bit of reading up on first so that you know you have the balance right. One advantage is that you can control what goes into it so if Charlie is picky or has reactions to anything, you can work around it.
There is a facebook page called Raw Feeders UK which gives a good guideline to start with - some or the people who post on there are a bit OTT but the basic info is useful.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 11:22:14 AM »
I use Naturediet wet food for my 3, they all have the same Lamb, Veg and rice, and it seems to suit them well. They (particularly Minstrel) do not do well on the meals containing Chicken.

You can get a sensitive one and grain free ones too if you think that would help him.

Other wet foods are available I have used Forthglade complete in the past but have found these have a very strong 'herby' smell and quite a lot of peas. Their Just range are just meat with no additions so you would need to put with a mixer/biscuit (maybe some of his kibble, so you don't change over too quickly? ) There are quite a few  flavours in this range. Forthglade also do Grain free options in their complete meals.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 05:12:17 PM »
I agree with bizzylizzie, I diy raw food and its so easy when you get into it. Look up Rodney Habib he has some really good reseach papers to read.  selby was just the same as your little one, changed him on to chicken wings first and he loves it.  good luck x

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »
Henry got very fussy about his kibble at about 5 or 6 months old. After some experimentation, we got the ideal balance of what he will eat + acceptable poops by feeding half wet, half kibble mixed together. We use Millies Wolfheart wet food but found their kibble made him hyper, so reverted to the Burns kibble he had before and which seems to agree with him.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
I've been in your position. Archie absolutely refused all kibble. I wanted him to enjoy his food rather than eat because it was the only thing available to him. I tried lots of things but ended up feeding him wet food. He had Wainwrights wet trays from pets at home. He loved it and was doing really well. He also has a sensitive Tum so last year I moved him into a fish diet. At first he had wainwrights salmon and Prato but now he has Fishmongers Finest which comes in salmon, trout or white fish flavours in a mixed box. He absolutely loves his food. I don't think I would ever go back to just kibble but I do use it as training treats and rewards.

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 05:51:06 AM »
Henry got very fussy about his kibble at about 5 or 6 months old. After some experimentation, we got the ideal balance of what he will eat + acceptable poops by feeding half wet, half kibble mixed together. We use Millies Wolfheart wet food but found their kibble made him hyper, so reverted to the Burns kibble he had before and which seems to agree with him.

Before I feed Reese raw I used Millies, it's really good stuff and the kibble is cooked at a lower temperature than most, Reese loved it, i still keep the tins in for emergencies and would use the kibble for treats( but i share a bag of guru with my mum as her Chihuahua doesn't get through a bag quick enough for the shelf life.) I  like the customer services, they have always been happy to answer my many questions about ingredients etc where I found a lot of other companies didn't bother to answer or didn't know the answers.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 07:17:43 AM »
There are some very good wet and Kibble foods out there and as others have said this site helps,

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

One thing to remember is that any Working dog food will be richer so your dog might need less of it, also keep an eye on the fat content as this could also cause problems.

It's trial and error I'm afraid but thankfully many company's will send out samples if you contact them.

Good luck.

Sharon.