Author Topic: Behaviour after Spaying  (Read 814 times)

Offline Sara_Clara

Behaviour after Spaying
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:36:29 PM »
Pebbles was spayed 2 weeks' ago and has now recovered from the operation fine.  However, she is, - how can I put it - wild  >:(  Her behaviour just seems to be almost out of control at times.  She is so full of energy, jumping up, barking at the slightest sound , mouthing and biting (just play biting) as she did when she was a puppy.  Also scrabbling at the carpet/lawn as if nesting.  She is now 16 months' old and had really started to calm down prior to the spay.  I expect her to be energetic as she is only young still but it's as if all the training etc. has just gone out of the window.

Does it take a while for the hormones to settle down and has anyone else experienced this please?
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Behaviour after Spaying
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »
Pebbles was spayed 2 weeks' ago and has now recovered from the operation fine.  However, she is, - how can I put it - wild  >:(  Her behaviour just seems to be almost out of control at times.  She is so full of energy, jumping up, barking at the slightest sound , mouthing and biting (just play biting) as she did when she was a puppy.  Also scrabbling at the carpet/lawn as if nesting.  She is now 16 months' old and had really started to calm down prior to the spay.  I expect her to be energetic as she is only young still but it's as if all the training etc. has just gone out of the window.

Does it take a while for the hormones to settle down and has anyone else experienced this please?

Georgia was spayed due to hormonal problems over 3 mths ago  :shades:  The spaying has now (thankfully  :013:) removed the behavourial problems  :blink: 
I asked the vet how long it would take for her hormone's to settle & they did advise 2 - 3 months.
Pebbles is at the teenager stage, so will be pushing the boundaries.  I wouldn't have thought its anything to do with her recent spay.  :-\
It is probably worth going back to basics with her training.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline WigglyTail

Re: Behaviour after Spaying
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »
Although posted in 2012, this information is very reassuring as recently had my bitch spayed.