Author Topic: Sudden aggression?  (Read 865 times)

Offline PollySpaull

Sudden aggression?
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:02:46 AM »
Hi All,

Hoping someone can offer some advice. Ernest - our 7 month old puppy, has started to become occasionally very aggressive toward our older dog (2 year old) Monty.

We first noticed it probably about 3 weeks ago. When I was cooking I accidentally dropped some cheese on the floor. Monty went to investigate, but Ernest lunged toward the food and really went for Monty, teeth bared and growling. To avoid this situation happening again, I've been extra careful and now they are fed in separate rooms.

This morning, my partner was in bed with both dogs curled up on him. I laid down beside him and Monty came over to snuggle down. Ernest also turned round and I made a fuss of them both. Suddenly, Ernest really went for Monty, again teeth bared, growling and snapping at him. My partner managed to grab Ernest and put him down on the floor.

They will usually play fight with each other but this seems to be on a next level, and just seems really aggressive. Monty is such a softie that he will just back away, which results in me feeling bad that he has been put out by the new pup.

I'm sure Ernest is trying to establish himself as 'top dog' but does anyone have any tips on how to handle this? I don't want the situation to get worse. And it doesn't happen very regularly, but we have noticed it becoming more frequent.

Any advice appreciated as always, thanks.

Offline lescef

Re: Sudden aggression?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »
Hi. At seven months he is becoming an adolescent so I suppose that could have something to do with it.
I do however have the same problem with my two girls, Bramble, the younger one, being the main instigator.
It sounds like guarding. If I drop food when cooking there can be war. Sometimes they are fine but sometimes not. I generally have trained them to lie on the mat behind me and I reward for calm behaviour.
Sadly, there is no way my two can cuddle me. I cannot sit on the floor with both there unless I can really control the situation.  No way could they be on a bed with me >:(
I have to manage situations all the time and probably didn't react well when all this started. I should have remained calm, reacted as if it was nothing and made sure they couldn't practice the behaviour. As they have got older I feel it is better, but they only tolerate one another. I do lots of praise when they are close and calm.
Hopefully you've only got a blip!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
Yes I think his hormones are really flying around at the moment... he tried to hump my arm this morning!!

They are both entire I should probably mention. But Monty has never been a problem, as I say he's a total softie!

They're currently asleep together on the floor. Not cuddled up but right next to one another and touching... hmmm

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »
Yes I think his hormones are really flying around at the moment... he tried to hump my arm this morning!!

They are both entire I should probably mention. But Monty has never been a problem, as I say he's a total softie!

They're currently asleep together on the floor. Not cuddled up but right next to one another and touching... hmmm

As I've learnt to my cost, it becomes learned behaviour and that's why you have to try and avert it. It's a shame good behaviour isn't learnt as fast, but then we probably don't reward it enough!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble