Author Topic: Ox Liver - too rich for treats?  (Read 646 times)

Offline BentleyT

Ox Liver - too rich for treats?
« on: May 01, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »
We like to try new treats and as this was pretty cheap we bought a load, boiled it and baked it. It's now chopped up into little pieces and will apparently last for 2 weeks. Now this might be coincidence, but after some lead training today and yesterday, his poo has been like brown yogurt (best description I can come up with! :020:) We changed to a raw diet 3 weeks ago and his stools were good before yesterday so it's not normal. I also thought a raw diet would suit things like liver as treats, but is it too rich for a pup (5 months old), anyone know? He could have eaten something else I'm not aware of of course like a rotten apple off our tree, but the last few have been the same...

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Ox Liver - too rich for treats?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 02:24:21 PM »
Liver can cause runny stools. Humphrey's fed raw (DIY) and as they're supposed to have a certain amount of offal , including liver (can't remember the exact ratio now but can look it up if you need it), I used to give him his weekly ration in one meal but it always made him runny, so I now spread it out over the week. If you're giving him larger amounts as treats, then maybe its a good idea to cut it back a bit in his diet - or replace it altogether. In the raw food book I have they suggest giving the bone ration with the offal ration as bone tends to have the opposite effect, so the one helps counteract the other. Hope that helps!

Offline BentleyT

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »
Thanks. Think i'll stop the liver then - I've not introduced bone yet, will get some ordered when we get a new freezer.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 07:16:05 PM »
Hi BentleyT,

Bone is a very important part of a Raw diet especially in a pup, what other sources of Calcium are you feeding ?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »
Yes, too much liver can definitely cause the squits even in a raw fed dog.  :o  I sometimes just cut it into thin strips and dry out in the over - no need to boil it up :020:

You could make it into livercake in future which is not as rich and might be better in the bottom department.  ;)

Revolting to make, but it is the most fullproof treat there is  :005:

There's a recipe here:

http://cleverdogcompany.com/liver-cake-recipe/
Julie and Watson

Offline BentleyT

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 11:32:56 PM »
Hi BentleyT,

Bone is a very important part of a Raw diet especially in a pup, what other sources of Calcium are you feeding ?

Thanks for the baking tips ;)

its.sme, we have just been giving him natural instinct chicken and lamb, as per amounts on the box. Nothing else yet but going to introduce bones soon, but i was told to get him accepting the basic food first. How long would you wait?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 07:21:54 AM »
Hi BentleyT,

Thanks for the baking tips ;)

its.sme, we have just been giving him natural instinct chicken and lamb, as per amounts on the box. Nothing else yet but going to introduce bones soon, but i was told to get him accepting the basic food first. How long would you wait?

He'd probably be able to cope with a chicken wing,( that's all Humphrey gets anyway), just keep an eye on him. I'm a bit of a worrier, so I chop them into 3 pieces and bash on any sharp bits, but I think its probably totally unnecessary, thats just me! (Raise eyebrows!). Chicken necks are also good. Just a note though - as I DIY, he has them every day to cover the calcium requirement but you may find if you're feeding a complete mix, that that is already taken into consideration, in which case too much additional bone/calcium isn't good. Its all a bit of trial and error at first but it'll all fall into place and its sooooo worth it! Best of luck!!