Author Topic: Epilepsy in 3.5 yr old cocker, and treatment  (Read 911 times)

Offline Bnstott

• Sadie
Epilepsy in 3.5 yr old cocker, and treatment
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »
Hello everyone,

My gorgeous 3.5 year old blue roan girl started having seizures about 7 weeks ago.  She has had 8 fits since then, her last one this morning. 

She has had full set of blood tests, MRI and spinal tap and has been diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy.  The veterinary neurologist has recommended she start on Pexion and we see how she goes.  I haven't started the meds yet as I was so worried about side effects, but after this morning's fit I know I need to bite the bullet and start medicating her...

Does anyone have any experience or advice they can share with me?  I feel so upset that my healthy little fluffball has this illness.  I've not had a dog before her and I had no idea how much it would break my heart when she is poorly!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Epilepsy in 3.5 yr old cocker, and treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:37:25 PM »
Sorry, don't have any experience to share but just wanted to wish you all the best and hope your girl responds well to treatment. I can understand just how you feel, they have a place in your heart that's akin to no other and seeing them poorly turns you inside out. She's still young though so she'll perhaps be able to cope with the medication more easily than an older dog. Sending out healing thoughts and crossing fingers and paws that you can get it sorted!! Please keep us posted!

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
Hi. I don't have any help to give but I think it can be controlled well with medication or there are homeopathic remedies which some people believe work well. There is a fb group called Canine Health Concern which give lots of information about alternative remedies.
My only advice would be not to give her anymore vaccinations and such like as it is believed they can have adverse reactions. Wishing you well with her.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »
Thankfully no personal experience, but want to send you a couple of these :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and hope that you can get the seizures under control
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 05:54:32 PM »
No experience either. I wonder if you could bring yourself to ring the breeder to  ask  if they've had any any experience of it,or advice. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
Hi. I don't have any help to give but I think it can be controlled well with medication or there are homeopathic remedies which some people believe work well. There is a fb group called Canine Health Concern which give lots of information about alternative remedies.
My only advice would be not to give her anymore vaccinations and such like as it is believed they can have adverse reactions. Wishing you well with her.

Was going to say exactly the same.  You can get an exemption from your vet re vaccinations so that your insurance / any kennel boarding etc are not affected.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »
Henry started having seizures when he was 28 months old.  He was diagnosed with Epilepsy and started on 30mg Epiphen which was gradually increased and made no appreciable difference to the frequency of his seizures.  Libromide was added and again the addition of this made no difference.  Following the removal of this, Pexion was added with no difference being made to the frequency or severity of his seizures.

Last July Henry was referred to the University of Liverpool Small Animal Hospital in the Wirral.  He spent the day there where he had an MRI single scan;MRI Contrast; numerous blood tests and profiles. The cost of this was £1900, and no adverse conditions were found that would have caused the Epilepsy.  The diagnosis was idiopathic Epilepsy.  The consultant recommended the addition of Levetiracetam to his Epiphen.  The addition of this made a tremendous difference to Henry insofar as he lost weight that he had gained caused by the Epiphen.  He was also a much happier dog and far more lively.

Unfortunately, he is not seizure free and these vary in frequency from one week to six weeks.  His seizures have also become more severe and last longer.  His last seizure was on 17th April and this lasted for almost twenty-five minutes.  He also loses control of his bladder and bowels.

I am surprised that your vet has started with Pexion, as Epiphen or Libromide are regarded as the first line medication for Epilepsy.

I do hope that you can get control of your girl's seizures.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
My other  halves parents collie has epilepsy.

She was put onto brand name Kepra generic name levetiracetam.

I work in a pharmacy and couldn't believe it when his mum told me she was paying around £90 for 60 tablets from the vets!

I went into work and looked on the computer for a pack of 60 tablets it's £5.50 ish, you must have a vet prescription to get these tablets from a pharmacy.

Vets prescriptions at my local vets cost £12.00, even when you add that to the price of the tablets it's  still a small price to pay over the cost they'd be from the vet.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Bnstott

• Sadie
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:56:31 PM »
Thank you for all your lovely replies. 

The vet neurologist recommended Pexion first as he said that it has the least side effects of the epilepsy drugs.  I started her on it today and I've been watching her like a hawk, so far she's been fine but obviously it's very early days.  I am really worried about the next couple of weeks but her last seizure was so horrible that my husband and I felt we had to do something to help her.

Robbie34 - so sorry to hear about Henry, what a rough time you've both had!  I really hope his seizures lessen in frequency and severity. 

Thanks for advice re vaccinations, she is not due any until October so I'll take a view then.  I am also wondering what to do about worming/fleas as I don't want to overload her with too many drugs at once...