Author Topic: Henry at 21 months old  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Henry at 21 months old
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »
There have been some marked changes in Henry over the past month that I can only assume (hope!) are part of the process of him morphing from puppy through adolescence to something approaching maturity. As he's our first dog, I never know what is 'normal'. Is this the new normal for us?

Outside the home he still loves to play and snuffle. But most of his play is now directed towards me. He is losing interest in playing with other dogs, unless he's especially in the mood. His recall has improved markedly and his loose-lead walking is almost perfect. After 20 minutes of playing fetch and doing a bit of 'fun' training on the field, his energy levels for the rest of the walk could best be described as placid - happy to trot along, sniffing and investigating the undergrowth but without the mad dash energy of his puppy days.

At home he is sleeping more and when nothing interesting is happening, he goes to his mat and watches the household go by with one eye open. He still loves to be played with, but doesn't pester me for it. He often potters off to the kitchen by himself to snooze. Training in a lot of areas seems to have suddenly clicked and there are fewer and fewer occasions where I am to found muttering 'bloody dog' under my breath.

After the madness of the past 18 months, it seems like we finally have a dog and not a Tasmanian devil masquerading as a cocker spaniel.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

Re: Henry at 21 months old
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
There have been some marked changes in Herny over the past month that I can only assume (hope!) are part of the process of him morphing from puppy through adolescence to something approaching maturity. As he's our first dog, I never know what is 'normal'. Is this the new normal for us?

Outside the home he still loves to play and snuffle. But most of his play is now directed towards me. He is losing interest in playing with other dogs, unless he's especially in the mood. His recall has improved markedly and his loose-lead walking is almost perfect. After 20 minutes of playing fetch and doing a bit of 'fun' training on the field, his energy levels for the rest of the walk could best be described as placid - happy to trot along, sniffing and investigating the undergrowth but without the mad dash energy of his puppy days.

At home he is sleeping more and when nothing interesting is happening, he goes to his mat and watches the household go by with one eye open. He still loves to be played with, but doesn't pester me for it. He often potters off to the kitchen by himself to snooze. Training in a lot of areas seems to have suddenly clicked and there are fewer and fewer occasions where I am to found muttering 'bloody dog' under my breath.

After the madness of the past 18 months, it seems like we finally have a dog and not a Tasmanian devil masquerading as a cocker spaniel.

Funnily enough I made a similar comment to Lynn only the other day. Eze now 34 months and over the last three months or so has calmed down a lot. She no longer needs to be "on the go" all the time she will now happily sleep if there is nothing to do. Of course as soon as you go out she assumes its work time and comes alive again.

I will he interested in the replies also because the change came as a shock to me as well 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 12:06:35 PM »
You've worked extremely hard with Henry though and now all your hard work is paying rewards. Its sooooo good to hear you've got the walking under control now, its been a long road but your persistance has worked and it does prove that, despite common opinion, cockers can walk nicely  ;),  it all boils down to consistancy , determination, and endless patience! I really take my hat off to you! - and Henry also deserves a bit of praise too!  :005: :005: Best thing is, you've done it all with positive training and haven't had to resort to adversives. Well done! -( Eat your heart out, Cesar Milan!!! )
We're still not quite there yet, Humphrey's a lot lot better but is still distracted by the females and their lovely perfumes  :luv: We'll keep at it though and I hope we'll get there one day, but I have to admit I haven't been quite as consistant as you!
You've motivated to keep at it though!
Well done!  Hugs to Henry (Humphrey's now  sulking!  :005:)

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »
Well done to you and Henry, sounds like you've come along way. I'm so glad you have updated your progress as it's reassuring to me to read. We've been struggling with Milo a lot more recently (although he's always been hard work) and it's nice that there is light at the end of the tunnel with consistency.
I feel like I've been failing at times and things get too much that I just don't know what to do.
It's posts like this that keep you going knowing/hoping that things get better [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »
Dylan is almost 23 months, and while he was an exceptionally easy puppy, he has certainly matured recently in That he comes back to us much more quickly after speaking to people (he wants to say hello to everyone he meets). He is not bothered about other dogs that much, after a sniff he comes to us no problem.  He keeps,close to us in the woods, runs a bit farther on the beach but still keeps an eye on where we are. At home as long as he is with us he is quite happy to potter about and doesn't pester to be played with all the time. He is a lovely dog, a real companion, always ready to respond to attention and lots of fun, but not over demanding when we are busy with other things.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
Dylan is almost 23 months, and while he was an exceptionally easy puppy, he has certainly matured recently in That he comes back to us much more quickly after speaking to people (he wants to say hello to everyone he meets). He is not bothered about other dogs that much, after a sniff he comes to us no problem.  He keeps,close to us in the woods, runs a bit farther on the beach but still keeps an eye on where we are. At home as long as he is with us he is quite happy to potter about and doesn't pester to be played with all the time. He is a lovely dog, a real companion, always ready to respond to attention and lots of fun, but not over demanding when we are busy with other things.

Lesley and Dylan

Sounds just about perfect!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
Well done to you and Henry, sounds like you've come along way. I'm so glad you have updated your progress as it's reassuring to me to read. We've been struggling with Milo a lot more recently (although he's always been hard work) and it's nice that there is light at the end of the tunnel with consistency.
I feel like I've been failing at times and things get too much that I just don't know what to do.
It's posts like this that keep you going knowing/hoping that things get better [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was partly my motivation for posting this. There have been many times over the past 18 months where I have thought: If this is what owning a dog means, I want no part of it.

And as regulars here know, Henry regularly tested my patience by seeming to forget all his training on a regular basis.

When we first got him, a friend who also has cocker spaniels said he would settle down somewhere between 18-24 months, but until then we should hold on to our hats. Seems they were right!

Offline lescef

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »
I think you have worked very hard with him and that is now paying off.
I remember our trainer saying that with the right training you should have the dog you want by the age of three.  ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
I remember our trainer saying that with the right training you should have the dog you want by the age of three.  ;)

Right, best not retire my clicker yet then!

I do wonder if he would have turned out just fine without my intervention. I guess we'll never know.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »

Right, best not retire my clicker yet then!

I do wonder if he would have turned out just fine without my intervention. I guess we'll never know.

I doubt you'd have had the same relationship with him if he'd been left to his own devices - and good manners aren't something they're born with  ;) You're a good team!!

Offline sweetpj

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »
Hi LG long time no speak sorry had a family bereavement, anyway all your hard work is finally paying off I have also noticed Smudge is calming down out on his walks and he is happy to snooze when he's at home and not bother anyone apart from still going mad in the garden now and again. Glad all is going well take care x

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 01:12:19 PM »
Hello sweetpj, it's nice to see you back, and sorry to hear your sad news.

We will need some photos of Smudge, it's so long since we've seen him!

We are a bit two-steps forward one-step back with Henry out on his walks - his recall was brilliant last week, but two days ago he lost his head a bit chasing birds and now he's all doolally again. Back on the lead... But at least he's less of a pest at home.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 10:20:44 AM »
Great thread, LG.  Interesting to compare with Jack, now 2 and a half...

- Recall - still rubbish.  Two years of training still ongoing...  My fault probably for not being consistent enough.  Lulls me into a false sense of security by being great on a long line and then heads for the hills when he gets the red mist...
- Loose lead walking - variable.  Can go from great to being a Bloodhound within five yards.  Don't insist on him being 'at heel' though.
- Other training - all done and dusted.  Very quck to pick things up - but now running out of ideas...
- Still zero interest in balls/playing fetch and then only in the garden with no other distractions and I have something tasty...  He loves to bring me the post though and goes ballistic when the postie calls...
- No interest in sticks etc - looks at me like I'm an idiot.
- Doesn't like water (how can a spaniel not like water?) and will walk round puddles.
- Still loves people and other dogs but now much prefers the former.  Also more wary of bigger dogs and stands off/ignores more.
- Have always spent time playing with him, and inventing new games, but he's getting fed up sooner...
- Much more chillin' goin' on than previously.  This is a good thing.
- Changes to body shape - now filling out nicely and looking very much like a show Cocker I'm pleased to say.
- Changes to coat - Interesting and seems to be still ongoing this one.  He's a blue roan and can ocassionally see 'new' roan bits under the top coat but subtle changes over time.  'Skirt' lengthening I've noticed.   Much as I like him to look good, proper grooming now takes at least half an hour a day, more if I do a bit of stripping out  :-\
- Likes his routine and can tell very quickly if something's not as it should be (ie if I need to go out).  Will pester me if I'm not fitting in with his schedule.
- Eating less.  Never a big eater, he seems to have cut back on his grub a little over the past six months or so.
- Still very much a hunter - his greatest pleasure when out is using his nose rather than running, chasing etc and can be rooted to one spot for minutes at a time...
- Our affinity, closeness, companionship and mutual understanding continues to grow and he's a constant joy to be with.  This is really what makes all the effort worthwhile...

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 12:48:19 AM »
I doubt you'd have had the same relationship with him if he'd been left to his own devices - and good manners aren't something they're born with  ;) You're a good team!!

I so agree but also each dog is different - I have 4 who have all been challenging in their own ways to varying degrees and each very different
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!