Author Topic: Does colour have anything to do with temperament?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Does colour have anything to do with temperament?
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:40:25 PM »
Have just bought a German DVD on DIY grooming a cocker (separate subject, watch this space.... :005:)
The groomer, who's also a breeder, says that the multi coloured cockers and roans  etc tend to be more energetic and full of spirit than the single coloured dogs, who are generally quieter and more focused on people. Just wondered if there's any truth in that? I find it hard to believe that colour can effect temperament ?

Offline Murphys Law

Re: Does colour have anything to do with temperament?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
Spaniel Aid have commented several times saying goldens tend to be more challenging than other colours. And judging by murphy, they may be right.

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
Spaniel Aid have commented several times saying goldenseal tend to be more challenging than other colours. And judging by murphy, they may be right.

I have heard same......and can confirm same.

However I am currently enjoying some calm as eze is in season and quite lethargic. 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
Er.............Ollie you can see from my inset - well to put it bluntly he is still a challenge at nine.

As for my late Jay, he was a golden show cocker and a sweeter gentle baby you could ever wish to meet.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »
I read somewhere about some research indicating that solids, specificly red/golds had the most challenging temper. That seems to be the most popular theory I've come across. People always make jokes about my red cocker, asking if she is especially feisty :P  And she kind of fits the stereotype, being somewhat hyper and nervous by nature. Don't know how scientific the research was because I didn't really read too much about it. But it wouldn't surprise me if the genes that code for color could also affect other things, such as trainability and energy level. All dogs started out looking the same, and as we bred them to get the temper and abilities we wanted, the appearance started changing too. And then of course we started breeding for looks and that's where it all went wrong, but the appearance started changing before we started obsessing over looks, when most dogs were still bred for their usefullness. I saw a documentary where they tried domesticating foxes by choosing to breed the friendliest individuals. And surprisingly the appearance changed over the genereations even though they bred for temper not looks. Interesting stuff really :)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 04:56:02 PM »
I read somewhere about some research indicating that solids, specificly red/golds had the most challenging temper. That seems to be the most popular theory I've come across. People always make jokes about my red cocker, asking if she is especially feisty :P  And she kind of fits the stereotype, being somewhat hyper and nervous by nature. Don't know how scientific the research was because I didn't really read too much about it. But it wouldn't surprise me if the genes that code for color could also affect other things, such as trainability and energy level. All dogs started out looking the same, and as we bred them to get the temper and abilities we wanted, the appearance started changing too. I saw a documentary where they tried domesticating foxes by choosing to breed the friendliest individuals. And surprisingly the appearance changed over the genereations even though they bred for temper not looks. Interesting stuff really :)

An interesting point, I hadn't really thought of it like that but I suppose its logical. Humphrey has plenty of energy when he needs it but I wouldn't describe him as being over energetic, he's quite content to mooch around the house ifnthe weather's bad and there's nothing else on offer, he also has a very gentle temperament, so I suppose there could be something in it after all!!!  Facinating subject!

Offline lescef

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 05:03:48 PM »
As I am old    :005:  I seem to  remember that it was the solid colours that may have suffered with rage syndrome. Golds at one point had a reputation for being 'snappy' and I think that may have been the reason for the roans becoming popular.
I have heard people say that orange roans were not as bright (or maybe they are stubborn!)
NO offence to anybody here!

At the end of the day I think good breeding and upbringing counts for alot. ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 05:06:09 PM »
I suppose there could be something in it after all!!!  Facinating subject!

Yep, or it could be what I read was complete fiction  :005: But yeah, very interesting! I always feel a little badass when people say red cockers are "difficult", like I have a rottweiler or something. Allthough most rotties I've met have been a lot more mellow than my cocker so maybe a poor example of badass, but they look tough and my little girl looks like a disney character  :005:

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 05:13:16 PM »
I've heard similar things - the parti colours and roans are supposedly better tempered/trainable than the solids. I've also heard it mentioned about the goldens being the most difficult! Really interesting subject. All I know is that I took Ernest (the choc sable pup) to his first agility lesson yesterday and he rocked it! Despite being not the brightest crayon in the box at home [emoji23]

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »
As I am old    :005:  I seem to  remember that it was the solid colours that may have suffered with rage syndrome. Golds at one point had a reputation for being 'snappy' and I think that may have been the reason for the roans becoming popular.
I have heard people say that orange roans were not as bright (or maybe they are stubborn!)
NO offence to anybody here!

At the end of the day I think good breeding and upbringing counts for alot. ;)

My cocker spaniel book said the red/golds were more predisposed to suffer from rage, so you are probably right. Maybe that's why many people seem to think they have a more difficult temper in general? And yes breeding and upbringing counts for everything, very good point! Even rage was probably a result of bad breeding (and alot of misdiagnosing of "crazy cockers" after bad handling). It's never good for a breed to become too popular. Didn't the golden retrievers go a little nutty too in the 80's? I was a kid, but I remember cockers, goldens and gsd's were rumoured to have temperament problems after too much bad breeding.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »
It's never good for a breed to become too popular.

You've hit the nail on the head there, and you're right, retrievers did take a knocking in the 80's, there were also problems with dalmations after they became flavour of the month when the Disney film came out, they suffered with deafness I seem to remember.
At least now I can blame Humphrey's dopeness intellectually challenging behaviour on his colour instead of on my training abilities!!!  :005:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
I suppose there could be something in it after all!!!  Facinating subject!

Yep, or it could be what I read was complete fiction  :005: But yeah, very interesting! I always feel a little badass when people say red cockers are "difficult", like I have a rottweiler or something. Allthough most rotties I've met have been a lot more mellow than my cocker so maybe a poor example of badass, but they look tough and my little girl looks like a disney character  :005:

I remember being in puppy class with Henry. He was the only cocker. There were labs, rotties, French bulldogs and cokerpoos aplenty. One day the trainer (who worked cockers as sniffer dogs) picked Henry up and said: He might look cute but he's the toughest dog in the room. I was really startled, and wondered if that was a good thing or not.

As it turns out, Henry is as tough as melted marshmallow.

Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »
My daughters golden cocker, Maddie, is the sweetest natured dog ever and is brilliant with both people and other dogs.  My solid black, Ollie, is very energetic and enjoys agility and can walk for miles.  My Poppy though - who is a blue roan - would happily sleep all day if given the chance, and will only run for small bursts!    So I beg to differ!    :005:
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »
My daughters golden cocker, Maddie, is the sweetest natured dog ever and is brilliant with both people and other dogs.  My solid black, Ollie, is very energetic and enjoys agility and can walk for miles.  My Poppy though - who is a blue roan - would happily sleep all day if given the chance, and will only run for small bursts!    So I beg to differ!    :005:

That supports what I tend to think, there are doubtless breeding lines of similar coloured dogs that carry the same behavioural traits but I find it hard to believe that one can generalize to that extent.
 :D

Offline Rhodri0311

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 06:37:14 PM »
Rhodri is a solid golden boy and he is the most gentle dog I could wish for. He loves people and other dogs, he's not a cuddly boy but he loves to jump all over you when you come in! I've never heard him growl, he's never shown any aggression - many times I've had my hand half way down his throat to retrieve some forbidden treasure!