Author Topic: Does colour have anything to do with temperament?  (Read 3905 times)

Offline ips

Re: Does colour have anything to do with temperament?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 06:38:46 PM »
I suppose there could be something in it after all!!!  Facinating subject!

Yep, or it could be what I read was complete fiction  :005: But yeah, very interesting! I always feel a little badass when people say red cockers are "difficult", like I have a rottweiler or something. Allthough most rotties I've met have been a lot more mellow than my cocker so maybe a poor example of badass, but they look tough and my little girl looks like a disney character  :005:

I didn't know that cockers were known to be hard work particularly solid colours particularly goldens....by the time it came to my attention it was too darned late 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 07:00:39 PM »
My childhood cocker was golden and was the gentlest dog that ever lived. My three blue roans, Milo and Dylan were/are lovely and kind dogs, and the rescue Finn was a nightmare, but I think he was a bit mental. I had heard the red rage syndrome, but haven,t personally come across it.

I saw that documentary about the foxes, it was very interesting. IIRC they were being bred for fur, and they wanted a calmer temperament, but as they bred for this the foxes became a bit like dogs, with smaller teeth etc.

I don't know if colour makes any difference, I don't think it does in Scotties which is the other breed I have experience with.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »

That supports what I tend to think, there are doubtless breeding lines of similar coloured dogs that carry the same behavioural traits but I find it hard to believe that one can generalize to that extent.
 :D

I guess that's what it boils down to. Saying that one colour is more prone to any behavioural trait doesn't mean that all dogs of that colour will have those traits, only that it is more common to occur in dogs of that colour. Like you say, probably due to some lines carrying these traits as well as the colour :)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 07:23:01 PM »

I didn't know that cockers were known to be hard work particularly solid colours particularly goldens....by the time it came to my attention it was too darned late 😁

:lol2: Hahaha! Growing up our family spent alot of time with three other families who all had red cockers, so I knew all the myths and most of the truths. But they were two shows (littermates) and an american. I had no clue what the working lines would bring to the mix  :005: I have loved every moment though. Training a cocker is the most rewarding thing in the world, no shortcuts, you really have to work with the dog to get the best results. Brilliant little creatures! I'm assuming all the colours are a joy to own/be owned by. But from now on I'll take Bizzylizzys advice and blame all my shortcomings as a trainer on the fur. You know, they say bitches are tougher to train than males too so really I must be fantastic for even having taught her to sit  :rofl1:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
I saw that documentary about the foxes, it was very interesting. IIRC they were being bred for fur, and they wanted a calmer temperament, but as they bred for this the foxes became a bit like dogs, with smaller teeth etc.

Lesley and Dylan
Thanks! I couldn't remember why they were doing it, thought it was an experiment, but now it all makes sense!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 08:08:01 PM »
I 'think' I recall from several years ago that Mark (Top Barks) has done a lot of research into this and completed a paper on it.
I may be wrong but hopefully another COL veteran will remember better than I.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline ips

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »

:lol2: Hahaha! Growing up our family spent alot of time with three other families who all had red cockers, so I knew all the myths and most of the truths. But they were two shows (littermates) and an american. I had no clue what the working lines would bring to the mix  :005: I have loved every moment though. Training a cocker is the most rewarding thing in the world, no shortcuts, you really have to work with the dog to get the best results. Brilliant little creatures! I'm assuming all the colours are a joy to own/be owned by. But from now on I'll take Bizzylizzys advice and blame all my shortcomings as a trainer on the fur. You know, they say bitches are tougher to train than males too so really I must be fantastic for even having taught her to sit  :rofl1:

Lol 😁
I must be brilliant then, solid colour, gold and a bitch. Sits, and does some other stuff too (even if sometimes you don't want your sock retrieving from the washer) 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 10:08:06 PM »
I 'think' I recall from several years ago that Mark (Top Barks) has done a lot of research into this and completed a paper on it.

I believe this is the case - there is a thread on here about his dissertation.

We have four cockers - blue roan show type who is very hard work, can be grumpy, obstinate, defiant whilst being anxious and very high energy.  She is capable of working 6 plus drives at a steady pace (compared to the workers) but is then zonked.

Two black and white workers who are opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of energy.  Both trials lines, one is very agile, affectionate and trusting, who works all day finding runners and sweeping each drive.  The other is a high speed whirling dervish who trashes her way through obstacles including the orange netting in scurries! She's very affectionate in the house but happiest hunting (generally for herself  >:D).

Then there's the golden wcs.  She's currently in season and very irritable.  Most of the time she's biddable, a superb retriever, good hunter when focussed but still quite immature at under 3 years old and needs sharpening up (steadiness) before the season.

I'm not convinced colour plays that big a part in temperament; lineage and selective breeding certainly does and I guess it then depends on the colour of the foundation bitch as to the predominant colour of the affix/lineage?

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 10:09:40 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. If I remember rightly he found that there was no link between colour and behaviour.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 10:12:50 PM »
Found it! Top Barks has given his findings about halfway down this page....

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=108579.msg1587424#msg1587424

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 12:25:07 AM »
in answer to your question, no it doesn't  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 06:50:26 AM »
Found it! Top Barks has given his findings about halfway down this page....

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=108579.msg1587424#msg1587424

Thanks for finding the link Archie bean, that was really interesting!! The COL archives must hold so much facinating stuff, its good there are still so many of you long term members  out there with good  memories. Been a good discussion, thanks everyone!

Offline AlanT

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 02:16:54 PM »
The genetics is that Golden is naturally rare.

At some stage they were very much in demand.  Probably still are.
So there may have been more in-breeding.

Mine is from a Golden mum and a Blue-Roan dad.  He's very nicely marked as a result.  Only one with any Gold about it, in the litter of ten.

He's really easy to train but determined and awkward when the mood takes. 
I think these Spaniels are often a handful and need owners who can handle very "doggy" behaviour.

Certainly need a lot of contact and exercise.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 04:14:06 PM »
Interesting Alan.  Dylan also has a golden mum and a blue roan dad. He is a very dark roan, though he had more white as a pup it has mostly been subsumed in the dark hair. He is a delightful dog, and was easy to train. He's had his moments, but has a really lovely nature.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 04:34:48 PM »
Watch out for the black ones, especially if they are called Teal,

IMHO its a load of danglies, red ones yellow or whatever the colour becomes the in thing and bad breeders will breed anything to make money that's why the reds were known for rage breeding from dogs that were genetically flawed because there was money  to be made.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly