Author Topic: Does colour have anything to do with temperament?  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Does colour have anything to do with temperament?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »
Watch out for the black ones, especially if they are called Teal,

IMHO its a load of danglies, red ones yellow or whatever the colour becomes the in thing and bad breeders will breed anything to make money that's why the reds were known for rage breeding from dogs that were genetically flawed because there was money  to be made.

That makes a lot of sense.
1. A specific colour becomes popular
2. Breeders ignore temperament and prioritise that colour
3. Poor temperament gets bred into that colour
4. There are more dogs of that colour and the poor temperament gets noticed
5. People erroneously think it is the genetic components of the colour causing the poor temperament.

The upshot IS that more dogs of that colour have poor temperaments. But it is not the colour per se that has caused it.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline AlanT

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 08:09:41 AM »
I think that put what I think very well.

One thing we did when choosing a puppy was insist on meeting BOTH parents.

We expected that quite soon the dog would be coping with a baby in the family and were really keen to pick a dog that would suit this.

We found a couple keeping both as domestic dogs and the pups were born in their front-room.
The dad was an especially calm and friendly dog called Diesel.

Things worked out pretty well.  Four of us had a part in raising the puppy.   I did the most having recently retired.

But we had to cope with resource-guarding,  recall and all the often mentioned Cocker crazy-stuff.

Not an easy breed I think.  I've had Terriers before and they seemed much easier.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »

IMHO its a load of danglies, red ones yellow or whatever the colour becomes the in thing and bad breeders will breed anything to make money that's why the reds were known for rage breeding from dogs that were genetically flawed because there was money  to be made.

5. People erroneously think it is the genetic components of the colour causing the poor temperament.

The upshot IS that more dogs of that colour have poor temperaments. But it is not the colour per se that has caused it.

Yes you've both hit the nail firmly on the head!
Jane

Offline PennyB

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 01:27:57 AM »

A bit like the fact that its been suggested that golden retrievers have bitten more than any other dog - may be to do with fact they are so popular and more about numbers being bred than anything
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline merlin

• Amber
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
My red/golden girl was a gentle little soul, my black and tan is laid back but the choc and tan is not known as the greased weasel for nothing. Her mum is gentle and loves to cuddle, but in the garden she hunts  and lead the others into naughtiness..