Author Topic: Problems being left at home  (Read 880 times)

Offline Bronteland

Problems being left at home
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:47:40 PM »
We have a 4 year old blue roan called Dexter, he's always been left for no more than 3 hours max. He's walked every morning, afternoon and night. Just lately he's started clawing at doors causing a lot of damage, he's really hyper when we get home and takes ages to calm down, any ideas why and how to try sort this out. thanks

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Problems being left at home
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:11:48 AM »
Hi! My previous dog ( a GSD Mix) suddendly started to react badly at being left and used to bark continuously while we were out, Humphrey however is absolutely fine but after reading threads on here, I changed the departure procedure early on and wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I pop in and out of the house several times a day but make no comment whatsoever, no big "now be a good boy while I'm gone". I'd always made a big deal with it with the old dog and so he did too, probably. When I return, he get a pat and a "Hi Humphrey" followed by a biscuit, once he's calmed down and I try to keep it as low key as possible, that way he sees it as being just normal routine. He sleeps on his own downstairs at night and we do more or less the same at bedtime, - biscuit, quick pat on the head, lights out, that's it and he's no problem.
We're both home all day so it was important to me that he didn't get too used to being the center of things ALL the time, so I do try and not interact with him non stop, I'll disappear upstairs without comment and he just stays where he is.
No idea if any of this applies in your case, but maybe it might help? Other than that, maybe leave a radio on, leave an old t shirt, or something that has your scent on? All worth a try. Best of luck! ;)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
First I would leave Bob in the utility room behind a baby gate.  Result ...chewed door frame, door and gate., stressed dog. When I gave him the run of the house and a chair to see out the window,he was fine!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
Could there be new and unfamiliar noises happening outside the house that are upsetting him? Perhaps nearby building work or something?

Have you tried leaving a radio on when you go out? Sometimes that's enough to deaden outside noises and can also sound like a normal indoors background noise, rather than the silence of an empty house.

Offline Bronteland

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:48:05 PM »
Something, a few months ago really spooked him, I think someone tried to break in house, he had gone to every door, as if trying to escape. Agree that leaving radio / TV on may help, will try and hope he feels more settled . Thanks for your advice