Author Topic: Aggression whilst in season ??  (Read 858 times)

Offline SAMM

Aggression whilst in season ??
« on: May 07, 2017, 04:25:24 PM »
Hi, wonder if any one could give me some advice.   I don't know if I am posting in the right section ??We have an 8 year old cocker (Tilly) and a  6 month old (Willow).    Willow came into season a couple of weeks ago which was a bit of a surprise as Tilly was over one.  She has barely bled just a few spots but is licking herself a lot and is swollen down below.   However willow really went for Tilly 5 times yesterday and once today.  There is loads of growling and teeth baring.  The noise was awful.  We have isolated willow each time until she calms.  Could this be to do with her season?  We have had willow since she was 10 weeks and they have only had the occasional spat before yesterday.

Sam xxx

Offline karenl

• Amber
Re: Aggression whilst in season ??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:43:45 PM »
This post brings back memories of my dog amber when she had her first season,she became
Really withdrawn and behaved very oddly I remember feeling quite sorry for her when she was sat
Staring into space and I got down on the floor next to her and went to stroke her she went for my hand
And nearly bit me , I was really upset and shocked but I guess she just wanted to be left alone ?.

Another dog ,a different time last year came hurtling over the park and attacted amber , her owner said that she thought it was because her dog was on heat !
Hope this helps ,maybe some dogs do react differently to others when on heat .

Offline SAMM

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply Karen.  I assume that once the season has ended all goes back to normal?  Willow is now out of season.  She is not as bad as she was with Tilly but we have to watch her as she still goes for her. 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »
I remember a friend's dog (Welsh terrier) was awful during and just after her season (she ended up spaying her)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
Yes amber did go back to being herself but she had quite a few issues when she was a puppy.
She is a highly strung dog and caused us a few upsets but I think when she was in season
That was at her worst. She was spayed after her first season so she didn't go through that again.
She is coming up for eight years now and she is now a good girl with very few issues ,she was not a very affectionate dog at first but we won her round and she is lovely dog .
I am no expert on dogs ,amber was our first dog so we put much of her insecurities down to the fact
That we didn't understand her but we hung in there and we love her so much !

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »
with experience i have to say err on the side of caution.  Our Gemma went from sleeping and playing with our other dog to totally hating her. Do not know why, just happened
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----