Author Topic: tick bite  (Read 2046 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
tick bite
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
Found today a tick on the inside of gemma's ear.  near the lobe. the tick had disengaged itself just as i went to get it off. it has left a large red, sore looking lump.  Anything I can put on it or should I get vet advice.  gemma is not bothered by it

dont you just hate finding these things when darling dog has spent a rare night with us in bed as a treat
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: tick bite
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
How large are we talking? It's not uncommon to see a swelling at the site, like a bad pimple. It ususally scabs over and dissappears in a few days. You can treat it like you would a regular wound. I would typically clean it with some chlorhexidine. Keep an eye on the area for the bullseye pattern and if you feel unsure it's better to ask a vet to have a look at it :)

Ticks are the worst! I've had a few of them snack on me too, they are like spiders, but worse  >:(

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
How large are we talking? It's not uncommon to see a swelling at the site, like a bad pimple. It ususally scabs over and dissappears in a few days. You can treat it like you would a regular wound. I would typically clean it with some clorhexidine. Keep an eye on the area for the bullseye pattern and if you feel unsure it's better to ask a vet to have a look at it :)

Ticks are the worst! I've had a few of them snack on me too, they are like spiders, but worse  >:(

as peas go it is more large marrowfat rather than garden  ph34r
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 10:43:01 AM »
Ouch! Allthough I've noticed tick bites on the ears have more noticeable swellings than other places, maybe because there is so little tissue to expand into there. Could just be a small infection after the bite, and you would treat that like any other infection/wound. At least where I am there are so few tick borne diseases that unless the bullseye appears we don't go to the vet for a local infection post tick bite. But I can't say for sure if the recommendations are the same in your area, maybe someone else knows :)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
another question to be answered please.
 As we are now in " sheep roam free" zones what are the best tick collars etc
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »
another question to be answered please.
 As we are now in " sheep roam free" zones what are the best tick collars etc

Always a discussion for debate this as there are lots of options but all have pro's and cons so there's never an easy answer. We had a scalibor collar last year which seemed to work ok but I've decided to try coconut oil now as a healthier alternative however its early days yet, so can't draw any conclusions as to its effectiveness. I found a couple of dead ticks still hanging on last year, which although its good to know the collar works, the fact that the body's containing enough poison to actually kill them as soon as they bite, does make me a bit uneasy. On the other hand, the risk of disease can't be ignored either. They're a pain in the bum and although I know that theoretically ever creature has its role in natures big cycle, I've never yet figures out where ticks come in!!  >:D
Hope Gemma's ok - I'd agree with Mari, - clean, disinfect and just keep a close eye out! X

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 11:38:36 AM »
There are many good ones, like seresto, advantix etc. I personally have seen the best effect with exspot (spot on) or scalibor (collar). Of course if you have cats that are friendly with the dog I would look at other options that are more cat friendly :) Whatever you choose, make sure they are the ones vets would recommend. There have been som scary side effects with some of the remedies pet shops sell.

Offline lescef

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 11:40:45 AM »
I used dilute hibiscrub last year when we had loads in Scotland.
Bramble had one drop off her recently -it was large! And I thought I'd checked her over. I feel like a bad Mum. :luv:
I'm very wary about using any chemicals on them. As we don't get many ticks I'd rather just remove them -if I find them! Not sure what I'd do in a highly populated area.
I can't see their purpose in the life cycle either!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 11:51:53 AM »

the fact that the body's containing enough poison to actually kill them as soon as they bite, does make me a bit uneasy.

The idea of it makes me uneasy too so I only use it when necessary. But with the spot ons and collars (the ones vets approve of) the poison stays in the skin, only tiny amounts will potentially be absorbed and will be hydrolysed and become harmless quickly. In other words, the body doesn't actually contain poison :) So as long as you follow instructions for use (and use safe products) there is nothing to worry about :)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »
Our last vet was all for Bravecto which I think is digested and when the tick feed it dies, he was reluctant to issue anything else, but I stuck with Advantix which I am using again this year.  Both need a prescription.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 12:19:42 PM »
If the tick has dropped off, there is no need to see the vet   ;)

There is usually a lump left behind after ticks drop off or are removed.  I just put a dab of tea tree oil on it - it will go down after a few days  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »
just found another  :020:
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 01:04:25 PM »
just found another  :020:

Yes, it is tick season :dunno:

I have been taking them off my cats most days for the last month!  >:D
Julie and Watson

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »

There is usually a lump left behind after ticks drop off or are removed.  I just put a dab of tea tree oil on it - it will go down after a few days  ;)

Not quite sure Joules, even if the tick has fallen off, if it was infected, it could still cause problems, - the bull's eye pattern that Mari mentioned, is a sign if Borreliose - quite common here although I don't know how it is in UK. I use Tea Trea Oil for lots of things but OH can't tolerate it on his skin if I use it undiluted, brings him out in a nasty rash,  so its a good idea to thin it down!! ;)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 01:22:30 PM »

I use Tea Trea Oil for lots of things but OH can't tolerate it on his skin if I use it undiluted, brings him out in a nasty rash,  so its a good idea to thin it down!! ;)

Does your OH get a lot of ticks?  :shades: :005:  I use it neat, directly on the spot - never had a problem.

Julie and Watson