Author Topic: tick bite  (Read 2020 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: tick bite
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
If the tick has dropped off, there is no need to see the vet   ;)

There is usually a lump left behind after ticks drop off or are removed.  I just put a dab of tea tree oil on it - it will go down after a few days  ;)
I use Tea Trea Oil for lots of things but OH can't tolerate it on his skin if I use it undiluted, brings him out in a nasty rash,  so its a good idea to thin it down!! ;)

Does your OH get a lot of ticks?  :shades: :005:  I use it neat, directly on the spot - never had a problem.

(Well, he has had his fair share - he grew up in the Black Forest, they were part and parcel of childhood back in the 50's!! 😉) 😂😂

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
Like Bizzylizzy,  lots of ticks and high prevalence of boreliose (sp?)also known as Lymes Disease  here too.  We're taught that the bullseye pattern and / or radiating  lines of discoloration of skin are the bad signs.

All of our cats and dogs are affected at the moment.  I've been known get one or two as well:-(  So far no bad infections though.

Its really only worthwhile disinfecting where a tick has been removed.  If the've already dropped off any infection will have already occurred.  I guess the swelling we see  is something to do with the anaesthetising spit the ticks inject to hide their presence.

Re Op question about what works as a deterrent,  we use Fronline plus on the cats,  and Barnaby the Cocker has a Bayer Seresto collar.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »
A word too for apple cider vinegar. We use a lot of it in the chickens' drinking water to keep them free of red mite. You can dilute it and rub it into your dog's coat as a repellent, you can apply direct to the critter to make it drop off or, if you can get away with it you can put a drop in the dogs' drinking water. It seems to be generally good against most forms of blood sucking parasites.

[Might try pouring it on electioneering candidates  :005:]

It is generally good stuff. We use it ourselves to get through the colds and flu season.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »
A word too for apple cider vinegar. We use a lot of it in the chickens' drinking water to keep them free of red mite. You can dilute it and rub it into your dog's coat as a repellent, you can apply direct to the critter to make it drop off or, if you can get away with it you can put a drop in the dogs' drinking water. It seems to be generally good against most forms of blood sucking parasites.

[Might try pouring it on electioneering candidates  :005:]

It is generally good stuff. We use it ourselves to get through the colds and flu season.

I like the sound of rubbing it into the coat - the coconut oil which I've been using does make the coat a bit claggy. I'ven read a lot about the health benefits for humans and have a teaspoon in a glass of water occasionally myself. How much do you put in the drinking water - about a teaspoon?
Tks!

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
How much do you put in the drinking water - about a teaspoon?

Start with about a teaspoon and see if they will drink it. Quite a lot of info on the internet about cider vinegar both for humans and dogs. The good thing is - difficult to o/d!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »
How much do you put in the drinking water - about a teaspoon?

Start with about a teaspoon and see if they will drink it. Quite a lot of info on the internet about cider vinegar both for humans and dogs. The good thing is - difficult to o/d!

👍 Thankyou!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
happy to say, Gemma's ear has returned to normal  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 06:45:37 PM »
happy to say, Gemma's ear has returned to normal  ;)

👍