Author Topic: 'Trust Me, I'm a Vet'....  (Read 6629 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: 'Trust Me, I'm a Vet'....
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »
Just thought I'd throw this in as its rarely mentioned in the raw discussion and just occured to me yesterday, as I had a worm count done for Humphrey on Thursday, rather than automatically giving worming treatment. Taking in to account we live in the countryside and he picks up all sorts of left overs both from farm and wild animals,  the result was negative for both worms and giarden. As a puppy fed on commercial food, we had constant problems with giarden, which have also disappeared since we went raw. Its maybe food for thought therefore (scuse pun ;)), how high is the risk of food contamination from feeding raw against the risk of parasites, and subsequent transmission to family members, in dogs fed on manufactured foods? (I'm referring particularly to the giarden which thrive on grains/carbs). The higher acid content of the digestive juices of raw fed dogs keep a lot of parasites/worms at bay.
There's always another side to every argument which only proves to me, yet again, that we need to be critical of everything told to us by the "experts"!  ;)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2017, 08:55:30 PM »
Most of Teals meals are raw meat or cooked fish, her ladyship doesn't like raw fish,  sometimes she may have a tin of whatever wet food from the shop when we are away, most Sundays she has a Sunday dinner of whatever me and the Mrs are having
Tonight she had a nice bit of cod from our local chippy I was silly enough to leave the table to get another beer the thieving little sodpot

I must admit to getting a bit annoyed by the extreme raw feeders who try to push their beliefs as much as I do with large pet food manufactures that advertise how wonderful their low quality kibbles are.

My personal belief is dogs need a varied diet just like us and that is what I try to do. Now I am off to make Teal and me a nice bowl of bananas and custard
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Becikwood

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 11:20:58 PM »
I am sorry but it is only a business for many of vets. The commercial dog food is like McDonalds for human. Processed and low in natural nutrition. All kind of meat, skin, scraps, grains  are cooked into the mass beyond the recognition. Then shapeed and sprayed with fat and synthetic vitamins and preservatives. The true is that human are not eating well and it is the same for dogs. Dogs and diabetes ? Dogs had no amylase in their saliva, enzym responsible for breaking carbohydrates like us or caws. A minimal amount is in their intestines to help them to get all needed nutritions from intestines of grass eating pray. Dog will live on kibble but not thrive. Food hygiene is a key to keep humans safe. According to many tests you are more likely to get salmonella from kibble. And ..'The gastric acidity (gastric PH) of the stomach of a dog or cat eating a diet predominantly made up of raw meat is very low (very acidic), with a PH of 2 or lower (relative to the level of meat protein). This highly acidic environment favours the breakdown of raw meats, and raw bones, into soft digestible material. The low PH also is highly effective at killing bacteria, particularly potentially pathogenic bacteria like salmonella spp, clostridia, campylobacter and E Coli. So the natural ‘wild” diet of dogs an cats has evolved a gastric environment that favours the breakdown of raw meats, raw bones, and a PH that kills potentially harmful bacteria – consistent with the requirements of carnivores, and in particular, the scavenging nature of dogs.'
The other issue is water, excessive drinking all day. Raw fed dogs drink very little due to getting fluid from the meat. And one more '. Some vets are cautious about raw feeding because very little nutritional advice is given whilst they're studying to become a vet. They simply don't know enough about raw food and diets to be able to make a judgement or give advice. Most of the education they do receive, is focused upon processed foods, because that's what most of their clients feed. Another reason why some vets might be cautious about raw feeding, is that many vets are sponsored by processed pet food companies and sell their products.' You are what you eat - and it applies to humans and dogs. If people are making millions why give it up ?

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2017, 10:36:27 AM »

My personal belief is dogs need a varied diet just like us and that is what I try to do. Now I am off to make Teal and me a nice bowl of bananas and custard

Jeff: We thought that our Barnaby was a bit odd in his love of bananas........ its a relief to read that Teal has the same taste:-)

FWIW our cocker Betty lived to 16 1/2 years old and ate dry granulated food until the last year of her life.  She was also a keen fruit thief,  primarily raspberries,  strawberries and blueberries.  That cocktail seems to have been good for her anyway.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2017, 10:55:40 AM »

I must admit to getting a bit annoyed by the extreme raw feeders who try to push their beliefs as much as I do with large pet food manufactures that advertise how wonderful their low quality kibbles are.

This. A thousand times THIS. In capital letters with flashing lights and fireworks behind it.  :shades:

"Commercial" does not mean "bad."
Raw does NOT suit all dogs.
There are good kibbles just as there are bad kibbles.
The majority of vets are animal loving, caring human beings with the best interests of your pet at heart.
Once again....If it suits YOUR dog and they are happy and healthy then it's the right food for YOUR dog.

(Archie too is partial to banana.....but only if it it just on the verge of being ripe. He's very particular about them!  :005:)

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »

"Commercial" does not mean "bad."
Raw does NOT suit all dogs.
There are good kibbles just as there are bad kibbles.
The majority of vets are animal loving, caring human beings with the best interests of your pet at heart.
Once again....If it suits YOUR dog and they are happy and healthy then it's the right food for YOUR dog.

Agree so much! This forum needs a like button for good posts :) My dog is on a veterinary diet and gets supplements for her joints. She gets vegetables, fruit, meat, fish and eggs as snacks. I know she's covered and gets good nutrition, she is healthy and happy, nothing is overly complicated. There are many ways to ensure balanced nutrition :) Raw, kibble, wet food, grain-free, vet diets, something for everyone :)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2017, 01:23:51 PM »
Lets not forget this thread was not started to attack ways of feeding dogs. It was started because it was felt that a BBC programme  attacked one way of feeding with little evidence other than basic hygiene and no balanced opinion.  Something this thread has certainly shown is needed!  ;).

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 11:20:09 PM »
Which brings in my mind a discussion about the BBC  personnel.     I have a youthful nephew on Welsh speaking BBCTV, an instant expert on whatever his thrown his way.        How much did it cost to send him to Argentina to interview the  descendants of Welsh settlers?      Every one seems so young!    Now that most programmes are produced by outsourced companies, I suspect that the editorial and production people are all under 30yrs, with journalism/media qualifications.  Enthusiastic, youthful, and unable to be experts at anything. (This applies to politicians too.........)
I have no respect for the Beeb, or what's left of it. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2017, 07:33:42 AM »
Which brings in my mind a discussion about the BBC  personnel.     I have a youthful nephew on Welsh speaking BBCTV, an instant expert on whatever his thrown his way.        How much did it cost to send him to Argentina to interview the  descendants of Welsh settlers?      Every one seems so young!    Now that most programmes are produced by outsourced companies, I suspect that the editorial and production people are all under 30yrs, with journalism/media qualifications.  Enthusiastic, youthful, and unable to be experts at anything. (This applies to politicians too.........)

Absolutely agree! I also think if they would concentrate on picking their announcers, news readers etc for their competence and ability to be coherent instead of trying to tick  all the pc boxes and fulfill a quota for employment of every single diversity in the human race, it would be in a better position to maintain the standards its always been famous for!  Sorry, I know its off topic and I'm ranting again but I just feel its all very sad.......(I grew up with Daphne Oxenford's Listen with Mother! "Are you sitting comfortably? THen I'll begin.."... :005:)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2017, 08:52:18 AM »

Absolutely agree! I also think if they would concentrate on picking their announcers, news readers etc for their competence and ability to be coherent instead of trying to tick  all the pc boxes and fulfill a quota for employment of every single diversity in the human race, it would be in a better position to maintain the standards its always been famous for!  Sorry, I know its off topic and I'm ranting again but I just feel its all very sad.......(I grew up with Daphne Oxenford's Listen with Mother! "Are you sitting comfortably? THen I'll begin.."... :005:)

Oh I remember her too, but I think it's also true to say that there wasn't the need for such carefulness then, as there is now.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »

Oh I remember her too, but I think it's also true to say that there wasn't the need for such carefulness then, as there is now.
That's true!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 10:06:40 PM »

Jeff: We thought that our Barnaby was a bit odd in his love of bananas........ its a relief to read that Teal has the same taste:-)

FWIW our cocker Betty lived to 16 1/2 years old and ate dry granulated food until the last year of her life.  She was also a keen fruit thief,  primarily raspberries,  strawberries and blueberries.  That cocktail seems to have been good for her anyway.

Teal likes most fruit, but banana is her fav, she can be upstairs and the moment someone down  stairs starts to peel one she is there.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline assumpta

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »
Now would that banana have to be organic , raw and picked by a maidens fair hand Jeff or would an ordinary Fyffes do from Tesco  :P As others have said whatever suits our lifestyle and our dogs. I never worried or anyalsed my kids food as much and they grew up just fine  ;)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »
I have never had a dog yet that doesn't salivate whenever fruit is about!  Apples, oranges, bananas and all fruits in between!  Grapes, they say, are bad for dogs so we don't allow them any, but when one has been dropped on the floor by accident and stolen by a dog before we could pick it up there have never been any ill effects, so maybe it's just the danger of choking that makes them bad.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
My dogs have all loved fruit of all kinds. One of the Scotties liked blackberries, it was so funny watching her wrinkling back her lips,so,she could,delicately,get the fruit without getting a mouthful of thorns  :lol2:  :luv:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo