Author Topic: Rescue dog growling at OH  (Read 728 times)

Offline bondie

• Site Member
Rescue dog growling at OH
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »
Advice needed please. I've loved and owned spaniels for 30 years,  and have given a home to 2 spaniels in the past.  10 weeks ago we gave a forever home to a 5 year old chap. He had had 4 homes in 6 months before coming to us. He's a lovely boy whose training is going really well via "click & treat" and he's bonded with me exceptionally well. Our major problem is that he growls and barks at my husband,  especially when OH comes into the room. Don't know whether the dog is resource grading (me) or is frightened. When OH sits down then it's ear rub time. The situation seems to be getting worse and obviously OH isn't happy. Have any of you wise people out there got ideas about what we should be doing?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Rescue dog growling at OH
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:50:08 AM »
Have you contacted the rescue to see if they have a (positive) behaviourist that can help?  I work with CAESSR and they suggest it can take up to six months for a dog to fully settle in but as you have indicated the lad may be guarding or be fearful or both......it will take time to get to know your boy well enough to determine which. 

It's very difficult to give advice without seeing the situation at the time but could you manage your new boy and OH so he always has a treat with him when entering a room? Ideally some small broken biscuits that your boy then has to search for - it's a distraction that very quickly your lad will associate your OH with good things........bless him, who knows what he's been through in recent months  :-\

He has had so many changes in recent months that he is quite likely to be disoriented and confused.  Even after 10 weeks it's still all new routines, sounds, smells and even the level of light will be new to him  :huh:  thinking of which it may be wise to have him health checked, especially his eyes.  I have a 6 year old with very early cataracts (Vet thinks but v early) that may be causing her to be more anxious than usual, she is becoming increasingly fearful of going into small spaces or dark areas (car dog box) etc.  It's possible your boy is just seeing outlines or suddenly a dark shadow in the doorway?

Given he settles once your OH sits down my guess us that he's fearful of men in doorways - if that can be avoided until you can get a behaviourist out it would be better but appreciate that's not an ideal short term solution....

Thank goodness he's gone to an experienced cocker home  :D at least he stands a chance with you - lucky boy to have found you!

Jayne
X

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »
Advice needed please. I've loved and owned spaniels for 30 years,  and have given a home to 2 spaniels in the past.  10 weeks ago we gave a forever home to a 5 year old chap. He had had 4 homes in 6 months before coming to us. He's a lovely boy whose training is going really well via "click & treat" and he's bonded with me exceptionally well. Our major problem is that he growls and barks at my husband,  especially when OH comes into the room. Don't know whether the dog is resource grading (me) or is frightened. When OH sits down then it's ear rub time. The situation seems to be getting worse and obviously OH isn't happy. Have any of you wise people out there got ideas about what we should be doing?

4 homes in 6 months😞
No wonder the poor thing isn't settled.
Why so many homes. ???
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
Excellent reply and advice from Pearly ! Just as a "by the way" - re doorways, - Humphrey's often looked a bit worried when anyone comes into our lounge and it often takes him a couple of seconds to work out if its "friend or foe", this happens despite the fact we've had him from a puppy and he's never experienced anything negative, I think its just the way the light falls probably, as the lounge is much lighter than the hall.
I hope you do manage to sort it, I'm sure you will given your experience already, it probably is just a question of time and patience.
Best of luck!

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »
Not nice for your OH. I would try to find a positive behaviourist who can actually see what's going on.
You could possibly try to get your OH just to talk softly  as he stands in the doorway then walk away or maybe throw a treat then walk away so the dog doesn't feel threatened but looks forward to seeing him. But,  a behaviourist would be a great help I'm sure. Good luck. I'm sure he will settle down.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline bondie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement. Will certainly get his eyes checked - interestingly he's stopped sleeping in his crate,  preferring  to sleep on his cushion.I've been out and about this morning & OH  has been in charge  - no growling or barking  so suspect "guarding" me as I do all his 'doggy bits' ( that sounds wrong!! ) and care. OH is now going to feed and brush. Poor lamb was returned "because he didn't like the man" but he's a really good dog,  just wants to be loved,  and will be a smasher once we've got over this problem. Behaviorist  next.!!  Thank you.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »
Lucky boy to have come to someone experienced.  Sounds like maybe his previous homes were not.  :'(

Some great advice already.

A behaviourist is certainly a good idea - obviously one who only uses positive methods  ;)

Maybe he has had a bad experience of men in the past and is wary?  If your OH throws treats down as he approaches and takes on the feeding and enjoyable things on a day to day basis, I am sure he will start to associate him with all things good and see you both equally.  ;)

Good luck with him and keep us posted on his progress   :D

Julie and Watson

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »
How lovely that he has found a forever home with you after so much upheaval  :luv:

We were Harry's third home and he was only 7 months and he had similar issues to your boy.  He is a bit wary of men and will often back away and bark initially but given time and space he will approach when he is ready and then likes a fuss. 

We have had Harry 7 years now and to be honest he still has some guarding issues around food and me! In a small space like our office if he is lying next to my feet he will bark and guard me if my husband comes in to he room, that involves some growling and barking.  He is better in a bigger space where he doesn't seem to get as worried.  Harry is much better with OH if I am at work or out then he is just fine.   
To be honest we just ignore the guarding so it doesn't escalate, we know Harry well enough that my OH just continues past him at which point Harry goes all soppy and submissive and wants cuddles from OH, I would love to know what goes through his had he is such a mixed up boy sometimes, but very happy and bouncy and a normal cocker the rest of the time.  Hope your boy settles in, 10 weeks is such a short space of time for him to adjust to yet another new place. to be honest it was nearly a year before Harry was completely at home with us, but he has been a delight eve since and I wouldn't swop him for the world.  :luv:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »
Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement. Will certainly get his eyes checked - interestingly he's stopped sleeping in his crate,  preferring  to sleep on his cushion.I've been out and about this morning & OH  has been in charge  - no growling or barking  so suspect "guarding" me as I do all his 'doggy bits' ( that sounds wrong!! ) and care. OH is now going to feed and brush. Poor lamb was returned "because he didn't like the man" but he's a really good dog,  just wants to be loved,  and will be a smasher once we've got over this problem. Behaviorist  next.!!  Thank you.

He really is a lucky lad to have found you  :D

If at all possible, can your OH hand feed your boy at meal times? Impose some boundaries such as a solid sit, no grumbling etc before feeding a bit of kibble or biscuit (split the meal into 4-6 portions).  When your boy is a bit more settled you can introduce a sit and wait, OH moves away calls your boy (sorry not picked up his name!) and once sat feeds some more kibble etc.  This will help with general obedience, sit/stop and recall and definitely build a trusting bond between your OH and boy.

Jayne
X