Author Topic: Best way to stop 9 week old puppy from biting  (Read 1393 times)

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
Best way to stop 9 week old puppy from biting
« on: May 16, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »
Okay, I know all pups do this but what's the new thinking around stopping biting?

I had my old boy 9yrs ago and I'm not sure if thoughts have changed since then.

Little loxley is constantly biting to the point where I can only actually stroke him without being bitten when he's sleepy.

Any ideas

I'm currently replacing my hand with a chew toy and making a loud noise when he bites but since Thursday nothing's changed. He's still biting as much and doesn't seem to be understanding that It hurts. I know its early days but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline cockersarespecialpeople

• Donator
Re: Best way to stop 9 week old puppy from biting
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:12:13 PM »
Okay, I know all pups do this but what's the new thinking around stopping biting?

Little loxley is constantly biting to the point where I can only actually stroke him without being bitten when he's sleepy.

Any ideas

I'm currently replacing my hand with a chew toy and making a loud noise when he bites but since Thursday nothing's changed. He's still biting as much and doesn't seem to be understanding that It hurts. I know its early days but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Hi
Well our lovely cockerdile is now 20 weeks old and still bites occasionally.  Training is ongoing shall we say!  This is what we've been doing and for the most part it works:

On the first hard or painful bite, we say "enough" or yelp loudly.  If he continues to a 2nd bite issue a time out cue, such as "too bad" and implement time out by taking him out of the room without saying anything else.  If he complains, wait until he's been quiet for about 10 seconds before bringing him back in again.

If he resists biting, praise him quietly.

It does work most of the time for us and the biting is now massively reduced.

By the way, if you can think of any tips to stop our boy from picking up stones, do share them please!

Good luck.

Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »

Any ideas

Hi
Well our lovely cockerdile is now 20 weeks old and still bites occasionally.  Training is ongoing shall we say!  This is what we've been doing and for the most part it works:

On the first hard or painful bite, we say "enough" or yelp loudly.  If he continues to a 2nd bite issue a time out cue, such as "too bad" and implement time out by taking him out of the room without saying anything else.  If he complains, wait until he's been quiet for about 10 seconds before bringing him back in again.

If he resists biting, praise him quietly.

It does work most of the time for us and the biting is now massively reduced.

By the way, if you can think of any tips to stop our boy from picking up stones, do share them please!

Good luck.

We have gravel too!

But up to now he just looks at them!

Really hoping that he doesn't take a shining for stones too!

Offline Emma0Milo

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 08:31:27 PM »
Hi, not to scare you but my little Cockerdile is 7months old and still occasionally tries to play rough with his teeth [emoji35] especially with my kids and he tries to chew things he's not allowed eg sofa.
You are doing all the right things and with consistency he will gradually stop (so I've been told [emoji12]) as Milo doesn't hang off clothing anymore or attack me when i move, or chomp my hair etc. But a few things are still a work In progress unfortunately.
Good advice from 'cockersarespecialpeople' too, that's how we did/do things.

Offline TheAdventuresofBarnaby

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 05:57:24 AM »
Barnaby is now 5 months old,  the first four months of which he was quite a cockerdile.

Giving him feedback to excessive bite pressure by yelping and this was effective.  More effective still was to pull a paw or ear into his mouth,  in place of our hands -forearms when he was getting too excited,  that gave him direct and personal feedback of the pain he was inflicting and he pretty much stopped at that time.  As I write this,  it occurs to me that his painful play biting reduced also at the same time that he started being alowed out on longer walks...longer walks on which he encountered other,  much older dogs,  some of whom gave him an occasional nip to repremand him for excessive enthusiasm when thez played together.  This was especially the case with our neighbour´s GSD who was and remains very parental to him.  So, who kows if he learned the lesson from self-feedback or from the village pack.

Either way we then had a period of much appreciated calm, in which his biting was totally attenuated to what my dear old mum terms mumbling :-)

Over the last fortnight he's been losing his baby teeth and adult teeth are of course coming through. Coming through amazingly quickly actually.   Biting has returned as part of the teething instinct,  but this time his teeth are bigger but less razor-edged.  On the other hand,  his jaws are much stronger, and he no longer desists at either a yelp from us, nor the paw in mouth tactic that seemed to work so well first time around. This time, what is working is ending playtime together immediately play biting starts.

I think the biggest problem is that each dog is different in its behaviour,  and as such there is not necessarilz a hard and fast one siye fits all solution to any particular training issue.  All we can do is listen to others whove been down the path before us and have found solutions that work for their particular dogs.

Good luck and I hope your wounds heal quickly http://cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/Smileys/classic/dft010.gif

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 07:00:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, since posting this I've changed the noise I make to a high pitch squeak! He stops straight away and looks at me. The biting this morning has been minimal since the noise has changed.

Offline cockersarespecialpeople

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, since posting this I've changed the noise I make to a high pitch squeak! He stops straight away and looks at me. The biting this morning has been minimal since the noise has changed.

That IS good news!   ;)
Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
I used to have to change my voice to be more high pitched as well - I found my normal voice wasn't working (even though mine did respond to a male voice) plus a loud 'ah ah' works wonders even later in life when they are being norty (far better than a firm 'no' here)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
He seems to be slightly better today. I think yesterday was a bad day for him [emoji6]

Offline gizmo001i

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 07:25:44 AM »
When we first got Bailey, my wife ended up in tears wondering what we had let ourselves in for with all his biting. He is now 9 months old and we wouldn't change him for anything. It does stop and they do learn. I totally agree with the load high pitched yelp method. It does eventually work and you won't have to wait 9 months for it to do so 🙂