Author Topic: Raw bones from butchers - advice please!  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Mandymlc

Raw bones from butchers - advice please!
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »
I've never fed raw bones before but thought I would give Effie a treat as she was so good at training last night  :luv:
So I got her three raw rib bones from a local butcher, she's already tucking into one but I have a few questions -
How long can I keep them in the fridge before they go off?
And would one constitute as a treat or should it replace a meal? I'd say they are about six inches long and two wide. It seems to be taking her a long time to get through it so I'm not sure yet if she'll actually eat it or just keep nibbling bits off over a period of time. Assuming the latter, how long should I keep the bone before chucking it? And should I refrigerate it again or is it fine to leave out?
Thanks in advance!
🐶

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Raw bones from butchers - advice please!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:16:44 AM »
Well done Effie! I'm no raw feeding expert, but when it comes to meat in general I like to be careful. I would freeze the ones you don't use today or tomorrow. And I would throw out anything she doesn't finish today. WHen I've given bone in the past I've usually given a smaller portion food that day depending on how much meat was on the bone.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
Is Effie raw fed? If she is, then its unlikely to cause any problems even when its a few days old, in fact as far as the dog is concerned the honkier it is, the better!! If she's not generally  raw fed then it it might be better not to leave it too long, although I'd let your nose be a guide, if its really inedible, you'll know it!
Just a tip to keep an eye on her poohs - too much bone can make them a bit hard so if she's not had them before, its a good idea not to let her have too many at once!

Hope she enjoys it!!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
gemmas chicken wings are in the freezer. i thaw out in the fridge and then bring up to room temp before i give her it.  I hold on to it to stop her swallowing it whole but do enjoy the tug of war at the end with the wing tip. so far i have always won although my knuckle has come close to being imprinted with teggy prints  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mandymlc

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »
Well I don't have to worry about what to do with the one I gave her today as she's eaten it already! Took her a good few hours gnawing on it (after carrying it around and squeaking for half an hour...) but it kept her busy which meant I got a lot of work done!  :005: popped the other two in the freezer for next time she's good  ;)
i feed her on Guru and these will be occasional treats, but as she's never had any raw bones before, I'll keep an eye on her (both ends!) just in case!
Thanks for the advice everyone!
🐶

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:02:22 AM »
I gave selby a round marrow bone that got stuck over his bottom jaw and had to rush him to the vets, and a rib bone that got stuck across the back of his mouth another visit to the vets !!! Always stay with him ;) He still has bones, chicken wings for brekies but am careful now and only give him femurs or knuckle. Bones .... They just love um and it does keep them quite ;)