Author Topic: Link between anal gland issues and kidney problems?  (Read 659 times)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Link between anal gland issues and kidney problems?
« on: May 16, 2017, 06:23:01 PM »
Jinley has had some blood tests after I just thought she "wasnt right".  Vet didnt think they would show anything up, but reluctantly agreed to do them.

It has shown a very high Urea level in her kidneys (normal range 1.7-7.4 Jinleys was 12.3)

She had her anal glands removed in January because I kept thinking she was having issues (and at times she was), marks on the bedding, generally feeling unwell and breath that could strip paint.

Its obvious now that there were underlying issues and the anal gland issues were masking the real problem.  Wishing I had had blood tests before just to be sure!

She has had another set of urine tests today which are showing struvite crystals in her urine with a Ph of 8.  Next 2 weeks she is on a low purine, low phosphorous for 2 weeks then back for blood tests.  Any experience or views on whether all of this could be linked?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Link between anal gland issues and kidney problems?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 06:35:13 PM »
Not had Pearl tested but she does have bouts of needing to wee a lot and 'humps' the dog bed on a regular basis, including this week.  I'd put it down to stress but you've got me wondering now  :'(

Hope Jinley  :luv: is ok

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:40 PM »
She does do humping but only occasionally.  The marks on the bed are small discharge circles.  Feeling really guilty  :dunno: vet recommended Hills Prescription Diet, but as her allergies are now under control, we have agreed to go down the Nutriment low purine route for a couple of weeks to see if the readings change.

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
I have nothing to offer but interested as Maddie has gland problems.  Hope you manage to sort her out. X
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 08:08:31 PM »
I have nothing to offer but interested as Maddie has gland problems.  Hope you manage to sort her out. X

Thanks one piece of advice I would offer is to have a blood test to look at liver and kidney function, at least you can eliminate those then.