Author Topic: Returning to work - pup worries  (Read 3657 times)

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
Returning to work - pup worries
« on: May 21, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »
Okay, on Thursday 11th may we picked up our new pup Loxley. My other half and I decided to take a 10 day break to help aid Loxley into our home, we wanted to make sure that our 9yr old boy Ollie was alright with him.

Tomorrow is back to work day and if I'm being honest I'm stressing out a little.

Tomorrow is a long day as they want me to do overtime " behind with workload due to me having time off" I'll be working 11am till 6pm. I will only get 30mins break so won't be able to go home to let them out. My other half works 9am till 5pm so will be home between 5/5.30pm.

Loxley & Ollie have been left over the past 10 days for 2/5hrs at a time and have been fine. Loxley has a crate in the kitchen and I leave that open at all times. I have puppy pads down and if he needs the loo he does use the pad. But he does hold himself very well.

I make sure my old boy Ollie is also left in the kitchen as I think they would both stress out if they weren't together. Ollie did have full run of the house but we think it's best for them to stay together until Loxley's house trained and stopped chewing.

I know some people do lock their pups up in a crate whilst they're out "to keep them safe" I don't feel like I could do this as it would upset both Loxley, Ollie and me.

Do you guys think I'm doing the right thing leaving them both in the kitchen with free run of the room?

I'd like to add that Loxley & Ollie have around 30 toys that will also be left in the room and I'll also leave the radio on whilst I'm out.

Think I'm stressing for nothing!

Many thanks

Ps Ollies 9 years old and Loxley will be 10 weeks old this coming Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The soul can have no rainbows, unless the eyes have shed some tears!"

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Returning to work - pup worries
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »
Sounds like they will be perfectly fine :021: For just one puppy alone I would say it's too long, but they have each other for company after all. And I agree it makes sense to have them together as long as they are friends. I guess it is long for the little one to not be let out, but if he uses the puppy pads then that potential problem is solved too. When my girl was a puppy I had her loose in the kitchen too, she was safe there and still had some space to move around. You could put up a spycam for them if you are worried, there are apps that allow you to access your laptop cam from your smartphone. It's a good way to check how they handle the situation. But I'm not sure a dog can tell the difference between 2,5 hours and 7 hours so my guess is they will be fine  ;)

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
Sounds like they will be perfectly fine :021: For just one puppy alone I would say it's too long, but they have each other for company after all. And I agree it makes sense to have them together as long as they are friends. I guess it is long for the little one to not be let out, but if he uses the puppy pads then that potential problem is solved too. When my girl was a puppy I had her loose in the kitchen too, she was safe there and still had some space to move around. You could put up a spycam for them if you are worried, there are apps that allow you to access your laptop cam from your smartphone. It's a good way to check how they handle the situation. But I'm not sure a dog can tell the difference between 2,5 hours and 7 hours so my guess is they will be fine  ;)

Thanks for helping to put my mind at ease, I know it'll be worse for me than him. Usually these things are harder for us humans to deal with [emoji16]

My older cocker is very people orientated and is like a big teddy bear. But this little one seems to be very outgoing and is more than happy keeping himself occupied by playing with his toys. So hopefully Ollies calming influence will rub off on the little one.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 10:25:28 AM »

This is my 2 boys now [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji42][emoji42][emoji42]

I think they'll be okay [emoji177][emoji177][emoji177]

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
It sounds like a long time for a pup to be left to me, do you have anyone who could nip in to let Loxely be Ollie out and give them a snack, is Loxley still having something to eat in the day?  Do you have a local dog walker who could just come in, not specifically to walk them but just for a toilet break and some company, it might also put your mind at rest as well as you would be worrying if you are at work all that time wondering what they are up to.
A web cam is a great idea too. Hope you manage to get something sorted x 

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 10:50:52 AM »
It sounds like a long time for a pup to be left to me, do you have anyone who could nip in to let Loxely be Ollie out and give them a snack, is Loxley still having something to eat in the day?  Do you have a local dog walker who could just come in, not specifically to walk them but just for a toilet break and some company, it might also put your mind at rest as well as you would be worrying if you are at work all that time wondering what they are up to.
A web cam is a great idea too. Hope you manage to get something sorted x

Ive been thinking about buying a web cam for a while so I might just do this. I don't have anyone I could ask no, my grandmother and mum have recently died and I don't see any of my family. I live over 100 miles away from them so as you can imagine my boys are the most important things in my life. My other half has parents that live 15 miles away. They're in their 70's one still works full time and the others retired and is always "busy". I don't really trust anyone coming into my home as they could steal anything!

I have lovely neighbours next door, they are retired and love dogs and are always home. But many years ago when I was 16 years old "I'm now 36 years old" I owned a German Shepard female called Cara. I left her with a family friend when I went on holiday to the south of France! Upon my arrival home I went to collect Cara only to be told she was DEAD!!!! Apparently she jumped over a 6ft fence to try and find me, before they could get her she was ran over on the A34 near Newcastle under Lyme in Stoke-on -Trent AKA my hometown.

I was told she was dead on impact and I couldn't get my head around the fact that she was only 2yrs old and she was in great health and because I went on holiday she died. Due to this I don't trust my dogs with anyone not even my partner, I have real issues trusting people to look after them well enough.

For example - yesterday I was so tired because for the last 10 days I've been  looking after/ watching Loxley like a hawk, whilst my other half is either on his phone / computer or at archery! Yesterday I asked my other half to look after him whilst I got 2 minutes rest and tried to clean the house. He took both dogs outside to "play and go wee wee" we have chicken wired all the garden and made it puppy proof but Loxley always finds a way! I told Dean that whilst he was outside on Friday he managed to get half way under the farm gate that we have "I managed to grab him before he escaped" and I expressed my concerns to him and said you " MUST FOLLOW HIM AROUND THE GARDEN AND YOU MUST WATCH HIM LIKE A HAWK" he must of been in his phone whilst being outside in the garden because all I heard was " LOXLEY LOXLEY LOXLEY NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!" I ran out and started shouting where is he what's happened Dean was running towards the gate shouting he's got under the gate he's running around on the main road!!! The road that runs directly outside of our house is a 60mph road and we live on a corner so they wouldn't have chance to stop!!!!

My other half ran so fast that he managed to catch up with him just past my neighbours house!!!!

My heart skipped and I felt so scared, sick and upset, I could visualise him being ran over like Cara.

As you can see I have trust issues! But my boys are more important than anything or anyone, I can't risk them getting hurt or possibly worse.

I'm hoping that they will be okay tomorrow.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 11:42:45 AM »
What an adorable picture of them together!

I can understand your trust issues! Last time I let someone watch my dog she ate corn on the cob, and one time I had a friend stay with me she got chocolate toxicosis because the guest forgot to hide her dark chocolate....I know bad things can happen when I am with her too, but at least I am in control of what's happening if I'm there. So I struggle with the same myself and I can only imagine your fear is that much stronger after what you went through. So sorry to hear about Cara!
But one day you might have to let someone else take care of the dogs, and then it will be much more stressful for them if they believe they are only safe with you. I say this because I have made that mistake myself, maybe your dogs are so chill that they will be fine either way, but if they are like mine then it's worth keeping in mind.
I have been alone with my dog since the beginning. I don't travel and my dog is my family and hobby so she was always with me. But situations change. I had to travel suddenly because a family member died. I left the dog with friends, people she adores and meets almost daily. But the whole time I was gone she hid under their kitchen table and was absolutely miserable! That was when I understood that having other people watch her from time to time is actually good for her!
What if I was to end up in hospital or something, and my dog was terrified because she never learned to trust anyone but me? So I started trusting people more, asking friends and family to take care of her if I had to do a long shift. Sometimes she would stay overnight with them. She still sulks a little when I'm away, but she is no longer hiding or thinking the world will end without me ;)  Which is good because I am now in a situation where I have to travel alot for exams, I hate it and I cannot stand being away from her. But at least I know she is happier than I am with the situation now that she knows how to function without me for a few days :D
Not saying this is at all an issue for your dogs, but I do think it is good for both dogs and owners to learn how to cope with separation and trust others  ;)

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 11:50:04 AM »
What an adorable picture of them together!

I can understand your trust issues! Last time I let someone watch my dog she ate corn on the cob, and one time I had a friend stay with me she got chocolate toxicosis because the guest forgot to hide her dark chocolate....I know bad things can happen when I am with her too, but at least I am in control of what's happening if I'm there. So I struggle with the same myself and I can only imagine your fear is that much stronger after what you went through. So sorry to hear about Cara!
But one day you might have to let someone else take care of the dogs, and then it will be much more stressful for them if they believe they are only safe with you. I say this because I have made that mistake myself, maybe your dogs are so chill that they will be fine either way, but if they are like mine then it's worth keeping in mind.
I have been alone with my dog since the beginning. I don't travel and my dog is my family and hobby so she was always with me. But situations change. I had to travel suddenly because a family member died. I left the dog with friends, people she adores and meets almost daily. But the whole time I was gone she hid under their kitchen table and was absolutely miserable! That was when I understood that having other people watch her from time to time is actually good for her!
What if I was to end up in hospital or something, and my dog was terrified because she never learned to trust anyone but me? So I started trusting people more, asking friends and family to take care of her if I had to do a long shift. Sometimes she would stay overnight with them. She still sulks a little when I'm away, but she is no longer hiding or thinking the world will end without me ;)  Which is good because I am now in a situation where I have to travel alot for exams, I hate it and I cannot stand being away from her. But at least I know she is happier than I am with the situation now that she knows how to function without me for a few days :D
Not saying this is at all an issue for your dogs, but I do think it is good for both dogs and owners to learn how to cope with separation and trust others  ;)

I think I'll be slightly happier when Loxley's grown a little and can no longer fit under the gate of get through the fence. I have had people (my other halves parents ) let Ollie out (only in the garden) when I've worked long hours in the past or gone out on a day trip back to see my family.

My other halves parents are old and the one that's retired and would be able to come (my other halves mum) has a heart condition. I couldn't have Loxley getting out and his mum chasing him to get him back! It could end in disaster for both of them!

Nothing's ever easy is it!

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
Could you fit something to the gate temporary. I fitted a board to stop Reese getting to the gate that had a gap under when he was a pup, I also put up temporary fencing to stop him getting onto the parts of the garden he wanted to eat  (it's still up!)  Lol

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »
Could you fit something to the gate temporary. I fitted a board to stop Reese getting to the gate that had a gap under when he was a pup, I also put up temporary fencing to stop him getting onto the parts of the garden he wanted to eat  (it's still up!)  Lol

A week before we got him we chicken wired the gate, but he can easily squash himself flat and get underneath. We are now looking at a piece of wood to be attached.

We put chicken wire all along the patio fence to keep him in, but he has worked out that he can climb the wire and get over!

My other half is at archery but I've been doing this whilst the boys are both sleeping!

I've now ran outta wood so once my other half is back we will be going to B&Q to get more wood and finish the job.

Because of where we live (surrounded by farmers fields) we have livestock fencing like the picture below all the way around our property. As you can see the holes are big enough for Loxley to climb through ATM hence why we (I) don't let him out unsupervised. Hopefully in a few months time he'll be bigger and our issues with him escaping will no longer be.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »
Someone popping in to let a pup out isn't quite the same as leaving a dog with someone while you're on your hols though - as you have sorted the back and the fencing this will make it easier for someone letting them out

I will only ever leave mine with our vet nurse or similar or they go to kennels if am away
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »
Just gotta finish off the fence this afternoon. Then hopefully tonight when we let him out on the patio area he'll not be able to get out.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't leave a pup alone with an adult dog.  They may get on now but anything could happen.  Pups can be very demanding and sometimes the adult dog needs a break from it and with them both having free range of your kitchen, the adult can not escape.  I would keep pup in the crate and let the older dog have free range.  That way they are together but the pup can't annoy the older dog.  They may have 30 toys in the room to choose from, but what happens if they both want the same one?  I hope this doesn't come across as negative as it seems both dogs get on very well,  it is just that I am over cautious with my dogs and just wouldn't want to take the risk.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »
Would it be possible to negotiate a longer lunch break so you can nip home, and work on in the evenin. Appreciate this would make for a really late finish for you, but OH would be in by then. Just a thought.

Offline ollie1

• look at me !
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »
Would it be possible to negotiate a longer lunch break so you can nip home, and work on in the evenin. Appreciate this would make for a really late finish for you, but OH would be in by then. Just a thought.

I'm going to ask my manager if I could possibly do this going forward until he's house trained and older.